crow chat for Port Board posters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those graphs that show the 4 levels of playing ability of draftees would be a fair gauge to at least compare two kids straight out of the draft. I wouldn't mind seeing Crouch's because I don't think it would've ticked the same boxes as Impey's did which in honesty took me by surprise.

A draft pick is based on the past as a basis of determining what will happen in the future. The huge problem with this is its impossible to get right. Its a lottery because players grow and develop differently in a full time environment to what was shown in a school/casual training workload. In game time Crouch is an in and under midfielder ball magnet. I am unsure as to why clubs ahead of Adelaide left him on the shelf. Time will tell. He was rated to be better than Brad less than a season ago and a top 5 pick.

Can't the same be said of you who are rating a guy who's played one real competitive hit out against decent opposition against another kid who's managed the same? Let's leave the draftee comparison for a few years before we see who's right let alone saying 1 player > 2.

As for saying the players were traded out due to mediocrity are you seriously saying Brisbane & West Coast didn't want to keep Polec/Ebert & weren't upset to lose them in just their 3rd year at the club? Ebert wasn't a spud & some players bloom later.

Rowe yes nobody takes his opinion seriously but Bone can on occasion have a non-bias opinion about a player, although the minute he does disagree I've noticed the fans tend to turn on their inaugural captain rather easily.

It was my opinion I don't rate JJ just like no one outside of Port rates Butcher, Johnston & Lynch are better forward prospects than him that is my opinion.

This thread has turned to s**t rather quickly.

I'd rather discuss prospects on their merit.

At the moment I have Lynch ahead of Jenkins. But Jenkins is miles ahead of Johnston. A good shot on goal doesn't make an AFL player.

Anyway back to Gibbs, the Journos are trolling both sets of fans. Crows because we missed a FS opportunity. They ask questions and know what Club staff are going to say, then they miss report it to imply that said club is actively chasing a player. Now both fan bases have a good portion of them saying "We should go after Gibbs". They call up Rooch on the radio on the weekend. He's keeping himself employed on the weekend by what he "writes" during the week.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Those graphs that show the 4 levels of playing ability of draftees would be a fair gauge to at least compare two kids straight out of the draft. I wouldn't mind seeing Crouch's because I don't think it would've ticked the same boxes as Impey's did which in honesty took me by surprise.

I think young crouch's boxes may be a little slow to download and they probably won't be that accurate anyway.

Polec has yet to do anything that remotely resembles showing he was a top 5 pick 3 seasons ago, outside of a good game against Essendon. Crows have had plenty of one game wonders that starred in trial games and never went on. Plus Polec is notoriously a lazy trainer and even if he has a good season this year I would not trust him to back it up next pre season. Impey will be a good player, I have no doubt. He looks good. As I said time will tell. The only reason I said Crouch was better was to highlight Ports jumping for joy over Polec and bagging the crows over it. On potential I can see Crouch having a better career than both but like you, me and other posters its way to early to tell. Even if Polec was at the Crows before I judged this recruitment and jumping for joy, I would be waiting for two seasons and judging who went pick 14 and who is performing better.

Port got the player they needed, I'm not sure how anyone can fail to see that. Polec's kicking is sublime which is precisely what Port require. Those lace-out kicks to their forwards weren't flukes, his kicking really is that good.

Port supporters are well within their rights to have the opinion that they won out on getting Polec. I sure would have liked Polec breaking the lines and spotting up our forwards the way he can as would any Crows supporter with a brain.

P.S. coming onto the Port board with the intent to be disingenuous with your Devils' advocate posts is not a way to begin a serious football discussion.

He had 15 disposals @ 53% efficiency and 6 clangers against Carlton, and was 2nd for the Crows in non-free clangers total across the two matches. I'd say the murmurs about his foot skills are valid enough. And hes very slow. Im not sure that can be debated.

So what exactly constitutes a clanger again?

3 FA so at most 3 poor disposals by a new recruit on a slippery night where both sides had trouble handling the ball. Out of the potential 3 disposals, how many were by foot?

Given the 4 clearances, only topped by Thommo, one can assume he was on the inside. Was his poor DE because of inside hand balling on a slippery night?

You know DE and Clangers are very crude measures and to look at them away from the context of the game is mischievous and you know it.

If it were a day game on a surface that hadn't been heavily watered where both sides had a clean game you would have a point.

So I ask, did you watch the game and can you tell me where his "obvious" shortcomings occurred?

they're completely athletically based which would be extremely tough to rank a player like Crouch who's not athletic at all vs Impey who's game is based on his athletic capabilities.

for the record Crouch's graph would read

Power: Poor (bottom 10%)
Speed: Poor (bottom 10%)
Endurance: below average (bottom 35%)
Agility: i'm not sure i don't have results

A draft pick is based on the past as a basis of determining what will happen in the future. The huge problem with this is its impossible to get right. Its a lottery because players grow and develop differently in a full time environment to what was shown in a school/casual training workload. In game time Crouch is an in and under midfielder ball magnet. I am unsure as to why clubs ahead of Adelaide left him on the shelf. Time will tell. He was rated to be better than Brad less than a season ago and a top 5 pick.

his negative aspects have been clearly outlined, if you havent seen them i can name them. poor disposal, poor pace, poor ability to translate clearances into meaningful movement forward. now i'm not player bashing because he's a crows player but these traits have been discussed to large extent. the crows took him because they think they can either improve those things or think they can afford to have a player of that type in their team. people with more experience than you and get paid to be a drafter obviously have the same opinion.

Edit* Crouch ran a 3.25s 20m which was bottom 5% last year in with the ruckmen etc.

just so you don't get carried away, I know Impey has negative traits but at least I can admit they are there.

Last edited:
Port got the player they needed, I'm not sure how anyone can fail to see that. Polec's kicking is sublime which is precisely what Port require. Those lace-out kicks to their forwards weren't flukes, his kicking really is that good.

Port supporters are well within their rights to have the opinion that they won out on getting Polec. I sure would have liked Polec breaking the lines and spotting up our forwards the way he can as would any Crows supporter with a brain.

P.S. coming onto the Port board with the intent to be disingenuous with your Devils' advocate posts is not a way to begin a serious football discussion.
I've only been posting at Big Footy a short time but I'm guessing this is a rare breed of Crow fan who can venture here without trolling, rationally say they rate one of our players & can discuss football without it turning into a 3 page s**t fight?

I would love to one day do the same because whilst I can throw a jibe or two on my own board in light hearted fun, I would like to respectfully go over there & say I'm a big fan of the way Sloane goes about his footy & should be a future captain of their club because he isn't as dislike-able as he should be.

I don't think I could be as brazen to go onto their player recruitment thread & say for example Polec > Crouch & Grigg combined (2 players on potential they rate) or something as ridiculous as that.

So what exactly constitutes a clanger again?

3 FA so at most 3 poor disposals by a new recruit on a slippery night where both sides had trouble handling the ball. Out of the potential 3 disposals, how many were by foot?

Given the 4 clearances, only topped by Thommo, one can assume he was on the inside. Was his poor DE because of inside hand balling on a slippery night?

You know DE and Clangers are very crude measures and to look at them away from the context of the game is mischievous and you know it.

If it were a day game on a surface that hadn't been heavily watered where both sides had a clean game you would have a point.

So I ask, did you watch the game and can you tell me where his "obvious" shortcomings occurred?

I said queries over his disposal could be considered valid based on what I have seen in the two games, and games I have seen at U18 level. Its been a well held opinion for over 12 months that his disposal by foot and decision making needs a lot of work. These things dont just pop up for no reason at all and it is the reason he slid from being potential top 5 to a pick in the 20s. Maybe getting in an AFL environment will fix that. God knows he can certainly find the footy easy enough.

His obvious short coming is in pace. Anyone that saw the warm up and the match at Richmond Oval would be able to see he has minimal turn of pace. I dont see this being an issue for what his role at Adelaide will be though. Plenty of slow ball magnets out there.

In the end Polec, Impey, Crouch....its all a moot point and I dont see why anyone would ever compare them in a 'who won' type argument. We werent in the market for Crouch. The Crows got their man. We got our man. Happy days all round!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not even a valid question. There is no Royal Blood in AFL football. That concept of birthright has no place in AFL football. Even father-son picks and family dynasties need to earn their spot.

These are the things a franchise supporter can only dream about

I'm not sure why I'm listening to 5aa but unfortunately when living in Victoria it's the only ever thing you hear that mentions Port Adelaide but a popular subject I'm hearing is who's got the better midfield port or crows in terms of the top 4 from each club. One bloke mentioned Dangerfield, Sloan, Crouch and Douglas or Port adelaide Boak, Wingard, Ebert and Hartlett? I'd say we have the more depth after those top 4 anyway.

As a young all round midfield I think we have a better mix with more mid/fwd DPP variety. Their 2 top line midfielders in Sloane & Danger are great followed up by Crouch & Douglas but IMO we've got a greater spread of inside/outside mids that can go forward or run off the half back line.

Boak, Wingard, Wines, Hartlett, Ebert, Polec, Gray & then bit part types like Monfries, Broadbent, Pittard, O'Shea, (White?) & Young give us a lot to work with going forward. Kornes/Dom are on their last legs ditto Thompson for them so I haven't included them in future planning.

Last edited:
Limited interchange rotations this year will reveal that Port's depth has greater quality than Adelaide's. They have more glamour but beauty does not win the football.

I'm more interested in comparing our side to those that will actually win a premiership in the next ten years or those that have in the past five.

Status
Not open for further replies.