Crows in SANFL Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

macca23 said:
Yep, you would certainly expect Brogan and Clarke to give a caning to a young 19 year old ruckman in his first year out of U/18's The stats certainly suggest that they had much the better of him.

But it was interesting to hear Russell Ebert talk about him on 5AA this morning. Russell watched that game and gave Maric a huge wrap up, annointing him as a definite AFL ruckman of quality for the future. Russell saw many qualities in young Maric that he liked.

Russell Ebert is an excellent judge of a young player.

If it's good enough for Russell it's good enough for me. :)

This was part of my post on him from the Sturt game:

"Altho beaten in actual rucking by Feast, when he got his hand on the ball it almost always landed down the throat of a Magpie which was good to see. Knows how to direct his taps and does some pretty creative things at ruck contests. Currently is better at centre bounce downs than around the ground...seems to get a bit outsmarted regarding body position at throw ins.

Hes a good kid and is developing well. When listening to the coaches addresses in the ressies and seniors he seems to really listen to what they are saying which is a good thing.

All his faults at the moment are things that he will learn with maturity and more development. Probably needs a better kicking action but all the other faults you can see being ironed out over the next year or two.

From what ive seen of him and Meeson so far I'd rate him above Meeson (tho ive seen 6 Maric games to Meesons 2). I reckon he will be a gun. Feel free to trade him to us anytime you like."

But apparently I never praise Crows players and are extremely biased :rolleyes:

Macca19 said:
If you really want to go down the path of overrating players then ill gladly lead you to the 5 dozen threads and 1000 posts claiming all of your new draft picks to be future superstars, ill gladly show you the dozens of posts claiming John Hinge to be some future super toughman and Josh Kreuguer as some extreme talent.

Pearce - He finds the ball. His possesion to time on ground ratio is high. Doesnt mean hes gonna be a gun. It means he finds the football.

Surj, I rate him, just like the numerous people here that have rated Schuback as some extreme talent over the past couple of years without much backing it up. I think Surjan will be a good footballer. Im also not the only one.

And you calling me a self annointed expert is quite funny, coming from one of the most outspoken opinionated people on this forum.

Oh stop it Macca, you're making me blush. We could go back and forth, giving examples, of AFC and PAFC supporters overrating players all night. Let me throw some names your way - Ebert, The Surj, Sal Mineo, Gilham, White, Thurstans etc etc and for the big one - Willits could be a future Tredrea.

macca23 said:
Off memory - big strong lad - not frightened to mix it - mobile - takes a strong mark - good kick - competes well. Has huge upside in him. Learning quickly. Along those lines.

Summed it up by saying that he will be an AFL player of the future.

Cheers...I like the sounds of that.

*PAF said:
wrt my post, I just found your comments about Macca's review somewhat childish, and not out of place with a lot of other comments (including the boycott thread) found on this board over the last 6-12 months.

if you're not happy with the board...

Crow-mosone said:
if you're not happy with the board...
Quite the opposite actually.
There is nothing better than the Crows board for a good laugh.
Hasn't always been the case, but it sure is nowadays.

*PAF said:
Quite the opposite actually.
There is nothing better than the Crows board for a good laugh.
Hasn't always been the case, but it sure is nowadays.

Come now PAF surely there has been much more entertainment on the Port board these last few months ?? especially for the non Port supporters. :D

*PAF said:
wrt my post, I just found your comments about Macca's review somewhat childish, and not out of place with a lot of other comments (including the boycott thread) found on this board over the last 6-12 months.

Have to agree with the PAF here. Thought it was a pretty good review and Springy seemed to jump down his throat. Odd. Thanks for the reviews Macca.

Gets! said:
Gibbs had 13 touches and booted 2 goals.
I saw part of the replay of Glenelg Vs Eagles? a week or so back and Gibbs did not do that much, but gee just about everything he did had class written all over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SpringChoke said:
Traitor/Turncoat/PAFC sympathiser - :D :p

But dont worry I hate still hate them maggots !!! :D

Seriously, I thought Macca's review was pretty good, and if the numbers are anything to go by, he looks to have done ok against 2 experienced AFL ruckmen.

Everyone that sees Maric play in the SANFL seems to rate him and think he's got a big future.

**** said:
Everyone that sees Maric play in the SANFL seems to rate him and think he's got a big future.

Proof is in the pudding ****, although early signs are good.

I remember many people (including myself) rating Adam Saliba as an excellent SANFL player !

True. I thought Lance Picioane was a future superstar after his first game (round 1 straight after being drafted).

It was his best ever game for the Crows. :(

GoSarge said:
Proof is in the pudding ****, although early signs are good.

I remember many people (including myself) rating Adam Saliba as an excellent SANFL player !

yes the problem was the same as Jono Ross.... didnt mind the odd beveridge and it ruined him, couldve been anything

AFC website
SANFL Player Reports - Round 11
afc.com.au
1:25:30 PM Tue 14 June, 2005

Nathan Van Berlo (South Adelaide)
Continued to push his name forward for AFL selection with a classy 17 possession effort from half back. Hit nearly all of his targets on a windy day and provided plenty of positive movement.

# Kicks – 11
# Marks – 4
# Handballs – 6

Jacob Schuback (Glenelg)
Struggled to find the football in very difficult conditions.

# Kicks – 7
# Marks – 5
# Handballs – 1

Matt Bode (Glenelg)
Had an outstanding start to the game with two brilliant snap goals and was honest for the rest of the match.

# Kicks – 11
# Marks – 2
# Handballs – 8

Kris Massie (Norwood)
His run of good form continued with another workmanlike performance in the midfield. Had 30 disposals and worked very hard.

# Kicks – 16
# Marks – 10
# Handballs - 14

Ivan Maric (Port)
Had the daunting job of rucking against AFL pair Dean Brogan and Matthew Clarke. He was beaten on the day but never gave up and tried to make a contest. Took two excellent pack marks and would have learnt plenty.

# Kicks – 4
# Marks – 3
# Handballs – 6

Scott Stevens (Port)
Struggled to get involved early in the match but was good when moved into defence, where he stopped South’s Ben Warren, who had booted five goals, and took some good one-on-one marks.

# Kicks – 7
# Marks – 4
# Handballs – 1

James Begley (Sturt)
Another composed performance, mainly in defence where he had four or five different opponents. Showed good skills and played well in all parts of the game.

# Kicks – 14
# Marks – 8
# Handballs – 7

Matthew Smith (Sturt)
Another solid game in defence, this time against Cowans. Likes to run and create.

# Kicks – 9
# Marks – 7
# Handballs - 10

Matthew Clarke – (South Adelaide)
After a few weeks on the injured list, Matthew looks like he needs plenty of game time to improve his touch. Shared ruck duties with Dean Brogan.

# Kicks – 2
# Marks – 2
# Handballs - 4

Ryan Nye (Rookie) - (North)
Promising start in defence but was quieter in the second half.

# Kicks – 9
# Marks – 3
# Handballs - 2

Chris Ladhams– (North)
Back in the league side, he made the most of his return by collecting 25 disposals and kicking two goals. Good work ethic.

# Kicks – 20
# Marks – 9
# Handballs – 5

Jonathon Griffen (Rookie) – (Central Reserves)
Was shaded in the ruck duels but was useful around the ground and took nine marks. Takes the ball cleanly for a big lad.

Josh Krueger – (Glenelg Reserves)
Took seven or eight overhead marks in the first half and kicked a couple of goals. His best effort of the season

John Meesen (Norwood Reserves)
Another promising effort in the ruck. Had 30-plus hit-outs and would be pressing for league selection.

Chad Gibson – (Norwood Reserves)
Made a promising start in defence, where he took a handful of strong overhead marks. Moved forward after half-time but had a quiet second half.

John Hinge (Rookie) - (Glenelg Reserves)
Started at centre half forward where he struggled in the conditions but was solid after being switched to half-back in the second half.

Trent Hentschel, Fergus Watts and Chris Knights (Woodville-West Torrens) had the bye.

Could it be that someone has finally come to the conclusion of providing "realistic" player assessments - much much better :)

Wayne's-World said:
Could it be that someone has finally come to the conclusion of providing "realistic" player assessments - much much better :)

You'd have to think that.

I noticed that Meesen had 30 odd hitouts which is quite sensational for a ruckman. At the beginning of the season when playing league he was mainly playing as a forward, and his form went down the spout.

He obviously is a ruckman first and foremost, but his problem is that Norwood are well served by ruckmen.

We need him to get games in ruck at league level to help develop him for next year and beyond. Would the AFC be better served by transferring him to another SANFL club which is lacking ruckmen before 30/6, which they can do.

And if so, what club?

macca23 said:
You'd have to think that.

I noticed that Meesen had 30 odd hitouts which is quite sensational for a ruckman. At the beginning of the season when playing league he was mainly playing as a forward, and his form went down the spout.

He obviously is a ruckman first and foremost, but his problem is that Norwood are well served by ruckmen.

We need him to get games in ruck at league level to help develop him for next year and beyond. Would the AFC be better served by transferring him to another SANFL club which is lacking ruckmen before 30/6, which they can do.

And if so, what club?
Macca I would say, if we believe Craigs statement, that to play 120 mins at reserves is better than half a games in the SANFL or stuck in a FP

Why shift him - Norwood is a fine club - cream rises to the top ;)

macca23 said:

It's something that could be looked at but it's probably a bit early to go down that path yet. Meesen was highly rated out of the TAC and if we expect him to become a quality ruckman at AFL level then some SANFL level ruckmen shouldn't keep him out of the ruck for too long.

As WW said, the cream rises to the top, and if Meesen's anywhere near as good as advertised, he will be making mark sooner rather than later.

**** said:
It's something that could be looked at but it's probably a bit early to go down that path yet. Meesen was highly rated out of the TAC and if we expect him to become a quality ruckman at AFL level then some SANFL level ruckmen shouldn't keep him out of the ruck for too long.

As WW said, the cream rises to the top, and if Meesen's anywhere near as good as advertised, he will be making mark sooner rather than later.

Agreeing with you is becoming far too common, but once again you make a good point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back