Remove this Banner Ad

deano the hawka

All Australian
Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Exeter City, Tottenham, Utrecht
When i was trolling on the W.B board, i saw a thread about the best players in the team at the moment, but i decided to do something better; all the players's years ranked out of 10...

I'll start:

Max Bailey: 6/10 - good first year. Was though that he wasn't going to play this year, but beat the odds to play i think 4 games. Good start to a going-to-be-terrific career.

Matt Ball: 3/10 - Like Ben Kane, was only good at VFL level, but Ball got an average of around 30 to 40 possesions a game. He did good things in the side, so i don't know why we dropped him. Looking forward to see the future career of his...

John Barker: 3/10 - Another injury plagued year and never got his body in full perfect shape, although he did kick 7 goals in a match at VFL level. Will miss him...

Chance Bateman: 8/10 - Brilliant season for the 1999 draftee. Played 21 games this season across the wing, and has finally filled a spot in the team. A brilliant season.

Grant Birchall: 7.5-8/10 - A T-E-R-R-I-F-I-C season from the first year player. Once he got the jist of things around the club, he started to show brilliant signs of a devastating wing/KPP player! By the last 4 games of the season, he had already beaten his opponents quite comfortable...

Tim Boyle: 2.5/10 - A terrible season from his standards, which are also terrible. Had a good debut last year, but this year only managed 2 matches playing down back.

Lune Brennan: 3.5/10 - Not the best of seasons for the number 8 draft pick in 2003 (i think). Last year, was good for us in defence, but this year all he did was sing! :)p ). Capped off his terrible season with a delisting, but should get picked up...

Campbell Brown: 8/10 - His best season for the club so far. Played 20 matches in a row, from Round 3 to Round 22, but missed the first 2 weeks with suspension from last year. Absolutely brilliant this year as an agressive defender. Looking forward to seeing him perform well in the International Rules Series...

Robert Campbell: 9/10 - The rating says it all! After only managing 1 match last year, he played 22 matches this year, and looked in the best shape ever, after a full Pre-Season. So good in the ruck, and as a KPP. Can't wait to see him, Max Bailey and Matthew Leunberger in our 2009/2010 premiership side (;)).

Tim Clarke: 6.5/10 - A good, solid season from the now new Leadership group inductee. Did great in some matches with some matches he was in the top 5 for the game in possesions, and top 3 in marks in the same game!

Shane Crawford: 6/10 - Average season from the 1999 Brownlow Medallist. Really didn't show what he's got until the last 2/3 months, where he played close to the best footy we've seen from him. Still got 1 year on his contract, but said that he is definately playing in 2008.

Trent Croad: 5.5/10 - Didn't see many good games from him, and i only remember him breaking his jaw in round 17.

This is just the first 12 players, but will do others later.....

Thoughts:thumbsu:

deano the hawka said:
Shane Crawford: 6/10 - Average season from the 1999 Brownlow Medallist. Really didn't show what he's got until the last 2/3 months, where he played close to the best footy we've seen from him. Still got 1 year on his contract, but said that he is definately playing in 2008.
Thoughts:thumbsu:

Played better than his best.

In the Supercoach comp. Matty Ball averaged over 70 pts. score, for his elevations to the firsts, won the BHFC, and got huge accolades from Todd Viney in his "Tuesdays with Todd". Now 2 years in a row HFC have delisted the BHFC b&f..........................not a good omen. I hope he gets a chance with brother Luke, what with the retirings of Powell, and Peckett at the Sainters.

Re: Current List: Out of 10 and reasoning...

Now for the next set of players...

Zac Dawson: 5.5/10 - A pretty up and down season with the downside being the huge amount of bags kicked on him, but the upsides were learning the game, being more experienced, and in Round 3 where he left Kent Kingsley goaless, despite getting 8 goals kicked on him the week before against Collingwood. Looking forward to see what he does next season and during the pre-season...

Ben Dixon: 7.5/10 - A terrific season from the veteran forward, finishing with 38 goals for the season, when Hawthorn most needed it. Highlighted his season with a few 3/4 goals games, where either Willo wasn't there or he wasn't performing. Can't wait to see what he does with the youngsters in the forward line, for them to carry through their careers. Still has 3/4 years left in him, from what we saw this year...

Beau Dowler: 8/10 (tell you now why) - At the end of last year, but before the draft, Beau Dowler was scared that his broken pelvis would mean that he wouldn't get picked up. Luckily, Hawthorn had faith in him, and picked him with pick 6, not thinking that he would play any game of footy this whole year. Well weren't we lucky to see Beauy do great things in the VFL, and not so great things at AFL level, but still had a brilliant season, but not judged by his AFL games.

Xavier Ellis: 5/10 - Xavier Ellis was always going to think about his studies before AFL, so when we picked him up, we knew that he would not play a game at AFL level. He did so well in his comeback match for Melbourne Grammar, and even one or two matches for BHH. Can't wait to unleish the Rising Star of 2007!!!

Lance Franklin: 7.5/10 - Like Zac Dawson, Lance Franklin had an up and down season. At the start of the season, he was dropped for pour form and foot injuries, but then came back to kick 31 goals in 14 matches, with two career high goal performances (6 goals in round 12 v Richmond and again against Carlton in Round 19). I would like to see his future career, because he's got a lot ahead of him...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back