List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our drafting since 2020:

2020:
DGB- injury prone, has shown some, but plays a role that typically requires time without injury to develop... and he's been injured
Seamus Mitchell- was a slow burn when overcoming injury, has shown plenty in the last 18 months, :thumbsu::thumbsu:
Connor Downie- Gone
Brockie- Traded, rated highly, great selection if he had stuck around :thumbsu:
Saunders- gone

2021:
Ward- workhorse, moves well but has had his issues with concussion. Currently played out of position and is one of our best runners :thumbsu:
Connor Macdonald- Best performing player since Daysy I'd argue. Shown plenty and is clearly integral to our future :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Sam Butler- continues to grow. Hasn't cemented himself in best 22 but is making his case for it, especially if VFL form continues, then translates to AFL :thumbsu:
Serong- Tall swingman, developing very nicely by all accounts :thumbsu:
Ned Long- gone

2022:
Frenchie- shown elite traits all throughout, developing nicely and is clearly impressing the right people despite the pot shots he cops online :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Weddle- We're already building our game plan around players like Weds. Has the potential to be our best by the end of the year :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
HH- Could be the second coming of Pendles, man looks clean and composed even with two on him. Developing incredibly quickly :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
J O'Sul- If he wasn't so injury prone there's a chance he could have debuted.
BMac- going along nicely, looks up to the job and is pushing hard for senior spots when not injured :thumbsu:
Bennetts- Other than social media features, Bennetts has made a massive impact, winning best first year cap last year

In terms of overhauling our list, I'd say we've done an amazing job in a short amount of time, 2021 and 2022 look like drafts that'd yield 5+ starting 22 players. 2020 was a down year due to COVID, but I'm not as forlorn about DGB as some- if he can bounce back from this injury I'd think he has a shot earning himself another year or two.
When you factor in our MSD/PSD selections I'd say we've had a turn around of roughly 13 best 22 players in a four year period, all of which have seen players replaced with improvements- and that's without the development going into the players yet!
In three years time, from this cohort we will still have players eligible for the u22 AA- typically an award associated with young players who are developing into something special.

I'm not so sure about some posters here, but part of the joy of rebuilding is seeing that turnover and seeing how it grows over the coming years. The doomsayers love a reason to overreact and the Melbourne game was an easy one to, but jeez I can't believe some of the comments.
I think that is a pretty good summary.

However, after watching some of the young guns running around at North and others, I feel we still lack some really high end talent. It does seem we are destined for another bottom of the ladder finish, so i believe we need to go hard at the top of the draft to find elite player(s). Either a game changing mid or a mobile talented CHF. Ideally recruit or FA an experienced KPB.
We are also lacking a tallish, quick skillful winger which we may find in the middle of draft or trade in. Not overly excited by Bailey Smith unless he is affordable. We cannot sell the ranch.
I don't believe we have too many pieces to fill, but there are a couple of glaring gaps.

I don't think there is a huge amount of criticism being directed at drafting or trade. What people are legitimately concerned with is the sloppy and directionless football and lack of on field effort and leadership that we have seen in 2 games after picking up some good players in trade and draft. There are also questions regarding coaching too and some of this may be due to turnover in the assistant coach ranks.

I am a little bemused at how many angles people are searching for to defend what has been an unacceptable start to the season. After people at the club talked up the team's potential in the preseason. I just hope it doesn't morph into Peter Schwab's famous last words that we would or could win the premiership way back when.

I don't think there is a huge amount of criticism being directed at drafting or trade. What people are legitimately concerned with is the sloppy and directionless football and lack of on field effort and leadership that we have seen in 2 games after picking up some good players in trade and draft. There are also questions regarding coaching too and some of this may be due to turnover in the assistant coach ranks.

I am a little bemused at how many angles people are searching for to defend what has been an unacceptable start to the season. After people at the club talked up the team's potential in the preseason. I just hope it doesn't morph into Peter Schwab's famous last words that we would or could win the premiership way back when.
I get that people were disappointed that we lost to the bombers like we did, but apart from the finishing and the centre bounce mauling we played some pretty good footy that we didn’t get reward for.

We’ve essentially then had one horrific quarter of footy against one of the Premiership favourite and had to rectify and fight back, which we managed to do to some degree, before being out-muscled.

The other thing is, the club have a “No limits” marketing campaign to gain members, but in no way did they state that we’d come out and smash it from Round 1.
The head of the footy dept said the opposite of that to be completely fair, and that we’d build into the year.

Look at our list in 2021. s**t trucks everywhere.

Brooksby
Hartley
Patton
Phillips
Howe
Downie
Hartigan
Cousins
Greaves
Bramble (to be fair was good in his debut year)
Jeka
Callow
Saunders
Scully
Nash as a small forward 🤮🤮🤮

The fact that half these players were best 22 at some point is not the start of the rebuild.
Wow just looked- more than half of the list in 2021 has needed to be turned over… I’d add Hanrahan and Kosi to that list as s**t trucks- he’s already been dropped at Richmond…

Not to mention Jaeger and Titch were our prime mids at that time and are now gone and on their last legs at other clubs… McEvoy- our top ruck has retired…Burgoyne gone.. Gunston and Breust are likely in their last seasons…Wingard’s prob only got 1 season left…

We shouldn’t be surprised that this process will take some time…only 20/46 players are still on our list from 2021… there’s not enough players that have been here longer than 3 years to fill a best 22 😱

Last edited:
Our drafting since 2020:

2020:
DGB- injury prone, has shown some, but plays a role that typically requires time without injury to develop... and he's been injured
Seamus Mitchell- was a slow burn when overcoming injury, has shown plenty in the last 18 months, :thumbsu::thumbsu:
Connor Downie- Gone
Brockie- Traded, rated highly, great selection if he had stuck around :thumbsu:
Saunders- gone

2021:
Ward- workhorse, moves well but has had his issues with concussion. Currently played out of position and is one of our best runners :thumbsu:
Connor Macdonald- Best performing player since Daysy I'd argue. Shown plenty and is clearly integral to our future :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Sam Butler- continues to grow. Hasn't cemented himself in best 22 but is making his case for it, especially if VFL form continues, then translates to AFL :thumbsu:
Serong- Tall swingman, developing very nicely by all accounts :thumbsu:
Ned Long- gone

2022:
Frenchie- shown elite traits all throughout, developing nicely and is clearly impressing the right people despite the pot shots he cops online :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Weddle- We're already building our game plan around players like Weds. Has the potential to be our best by the end of the year :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
HH- Could be the second coming of Pendles, man looks clean and composed even with two on him. Developing incredibly quickly :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
J O'Sul- If he wasn't so injury prone there's a chance he could have debuted.
BMac- going along nicely, looks up to the job and is pushing hard for senior spots when not injured :thumbsu:
Bennetts- Other than social media features, Bennetts has made a massive impact, winning best first year cap last year

In terms of overhauling our list, I'd say we've done an amazing job in a short amount of time, 2021 and 2022 look like drafts that'd yield 5+ starting 22 players. 2020 was a down year due to COVID, but I'm not as forlorn about DGB as some- if he can bounce back from this injury I'd think he has a shot earning himself another year or two.
When you factor in our MSD/PSD selections I'd say we've had a turn around of roughly 13 best 22 players in a four year period, all of which have seen players replaced with improvements- and that's without the development going into the players yet!
In three years time, from this cohort we will still have players eligible for the u22 AA- typically an award associated with young players who are developing into something special.

I'm not so sure about some posters here, but part of the joy of rebuilding is seeing that turnover and seeing how it grows over the coming years. The doomsayers love a reason to overreact and the Melbourne game was an easy one to, but jeez I can't believe some of the comments.
Good summary.

Though bit harsh to give Ward the same rating (1/3) as guys like Butler, Serong and BMac who all combined have played less total games than him. He's performed reasonably well being played out of position and with plenty of interruptions. Worth at least a 2/3 rating.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, I think (3/3) for Hustwaite is very generous at this point given he's only played 2 AFL games, of which only one was really noteworthy. There's a long list of big bodied mids who have dominated VFL midfields for us but failed to live up to it at AFL level. I'm as excited as anyone about HH and want him in this week, but to rate him the same as Croc, Frenchie and Weddle at this point is premature.

Hi folks, a keeper league question.
Do you think Bailey MacDonald will get back into the Hawks AFL side anytime soon?
Cheers.
I think the coach is a big fan but he’s going to need to build a solid block of form in the VFL after being injured pre season…

He looked good on the weekend… I’d say 2nd half of the year we’ll see him at some stage- but he’s going to need an injury or some bad form to force a spot… a guy like Seamus Mitchell is probably ahead of him for that small defender position at this stage…

It's all too easy in hindsight.

The fact is no recruiter in the AFL would have taken Perkins over DGB. Zero.

Ask who the recruiters thought should have gone number one outside of JUH and DGB/Logan/TT/Hollands name was thrown up plenty.

There's not much more that can be added to the list management thread at this point in the season other than maybe the occosaional hindsight hero declaring players shouldn't have been drafted/traded for, so with that in mind I'm going to lock this thread for while.

Maybe we'll win some games along the way, and people will post with a bit more balance rather than 'everyone is going to be this bad forever'.

We know what we need to be found on the list or added.
  • Key defender
  • Key forward
  • Outside class
If you want to know who's in the draft class this year, go here.

If you want to discuss a possible trade target or need, go here.

If you want to lambast the output or outcome of a game, we have Autopsy threads every week.

I'll re-open when the season has a bit more water under the bridge and we've got a better understanding of where the real list holes are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back