List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think when you’re 32 points down at quarter time it’s hard to read that much into the 2nd quarter fight back - dees may have eased back for a bit as were in full control. They stepped it up in last quarter and we had nothing.
They eased back ... In the 2nd quarter ... Only 30 points up ... I very much doubt that!

Look at our list in 2021. s**t trucks everywhere.

Brooksby
Hartley
Patton
Phillips
Howe
Downie
Hartigan
Cousins
Greaves
Bramble (to be fair was good in his debut year)
Jeka
Callow
Saunders
Scully
Nash as a small forward 🤮🤮🤮

The fact that half these players were best 22 at some point is not the start of the rebuild.

Brooksby
Hartley
Patton
Phillips
Howe
Downie
Hartigan
Cousins
Greaves
Jeka
Callow
Saunders
Scully

The fact that half these players were best 22 at some point is not the start of the rebuild.
Goodness me.

Surely that was Clarko getting his preemptive revenge on the HFC. Isn't that enough for him?

Goodness me.

Surely that was Clarko getting his preemptive revenge on the HFC. Isn't that enough for him?

Sam got handed an absolute s**t sandwich and has somehow made it somewhat palatable. The fact we haven't completely had our arse fall out like North is an incredible achievement.

The only coach who I think has been handed a bigger disaster is Yze. I feel for him. Hardwick has absolutely shafted him.

This thread might need to be locked until we get a win so all the knee-jerk reactions are a little less scorched earth.

Brooksby
Hartley
Patton
Phillips
Howe
Downie
Hartigan
Cousins
Greaves
Jeka
Callow
Saunders
Scully

We moved on 11 players at the end of 2020 I believe, that’s a huge amount. We couldn’t cut more than that. It’s taken about 4 off seasons to clear out over 40 players.

Also Callow came mid 21.

I just want to see list development if we win or lose it doesn’t really worry me at the moment, I just enjoy watching the kids play to see what they could become.

With Ramsden also get games into him.

And with Hustwaite, while Day is out perfect time to get games into him and get a small sample size of what we have in Henry.

I like others don’t think we have the next stars but let’s see what we do have on our lists.

Sam got handed an absolute s**t sandwich and has somehow made it somewhat palatable. The fact we haven't completely had our arse fall out like North is an incredible achievement.

The only coach who I think has been handed a bigger disaster is Yze. I feel for him. Hardwick has absolutely shafted him.
Yes. I'm finding myself barracking for Richmond and Yze has a fair bit to do with that.

In 2023 we lost to Melbourne by 54 points and then 27 points, this year it was 55pts in rd 2 - so hardly any difference there
In 2023 we lost to Essendon by 61, this year it was 24 points - when we had more than enough opportunities to win - clearly an improved result.

So thus far in 2024, our results are actually an improvement on 2023 - the season most of those twits said we would win the spoon - yet we ended up winning 7 games.

Eight quarters of footy into 2024, and Montagna's just making statements for the sake of clicks / views.

Pointless argument.

I find it laughable that anyone would seriously consider that Sam Mitchell instructed the team to play that way for a whole game.

The Dees defensive structures are probably the best there is at the moment. They are so well drilled. Live at the game watching their zone effortlessly adjust to our attempts to create space by switching across half back really highlighted the gulf between the two teams.

Their zone responded to the switch our backline would make faster than our own midfield and forwards did.

Fired is a bit harsh, it's a mistake. Does your employer fire you over a spelling mistake?
Not fired but in my industry for something like that you'd definitely get a warning. Whomever has written that hasn't put it through the proper channels to get it proofread / fact checked. A big mistake some people make is to just proofread it themselves which if you write things for a living know full well that checking your own work isn't a full proof thing because a person checking their own stuff usually ends up in them missing the same mistakes again. This sort of thing happens far too often for my liking and just you wait people become okay with blaming it on things like AI.

Last edited:
King predicted we wouldn't score in the first half, we out performed his expectation. You then can't come out and whack us when we perform better than you expected unless you're willing to admit you were exaggerating for views in the first place, either way it highlights way Kings opinion means nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King predicted we wouldn't score in the first half, we out performed his expectation. You then can't come out and whack us when we perform better than you expected unless you're willing to admit you were exaggerating for views in the first place, either way it highlights way Kings opinion means nothing.
No

He predicted we wouldn’t kick a goal in the first half, and at qrt time he was looking good

We kicked 2 goals in an hour of football

After 2 Rounds they've regressed?
Out of form yes but saying they have regressed is an utterly reactive comment.
Sorry - I think my point was missed because I worded it poorly. I wasn't meaning that they're no longer any good, and I think both will come out of the slump. My point was more that we made the decision to not target other bigger bodied mids in the draft because we are depending on those players to continue to improve.

King doesn’t like that Kane continually highlights North
And he knows Sam is on good terms with Kane, for now

Might seem simplistic, but Kane is one of the few in the media who calls out Kings crap. It is tit for tat

I wanna hear King’s views after this coming weekend when Carlton kick 25+ goals on that Roos defence. Because you can guarantee Kane won’t miss.

King doesn’t like that Kane continually highlights North
And he knows Sam is on good terms with Kane, for now

Might seem simplistic, but Kane is one of the few in the media who calls out Kings crap. It is tit for tat

I wanna hear King’s views after this coming weekend when Carlton kick 25+ goals on that Roos defence. Because you can guarantee Kane won’t miss.
Yeah there’s no doubt Kingy and Cornes are caught in a Cold War.

Some of the comments on here are crazy to me.
A lot of people talking up players from other clubs that were lambasted by their supporters for 3-5 years whilst not recognising that our top end talent is still in its infancy.

We took DGB because he fits a long-standing need that we haven't met yet.
We took Ward for his versatility and his hard-nosed approach to winning the ball (comparable to Rowell back in the day iirc)
We took Frenchie because he was the best kick in his draft as well as being a big-bodied mid who was hard at it.
We took the Wiz because he was arguably the best talent in his draft if not for his height.

Our list is improving year on year, but we don't necessarily have the senior players that typically would guide our younger lads on-field through the backline nor the mid field.

Some of the comments on here are crazy to me.
A lot of people talking up players from other clubs that were lambasted by their supporters for 3-5 years whilst not recognising that our top end talent is still in its infancy.
Only 2 years ago people were slagging off English as being a spud in here, now people are advocating we throw millions of dollars at him.

Same thing happened with Rance too and plenty of others.

There is so much good stuff in here. I reckon you are bang on with so much of it. I’ll post in detail in the next few days when I have time.

My main beef this season is our two strengths last season were Sic in defence and Jai in the middle. And we have rolled both out in the exact same roles this season and they have both been clamped. It’s s**t coaching. Jai needs to go to half back and Sic maybe into the middle. Weddle should be in the middle. Amon on a wing. Nash and McKenizie in the 2s. We haven’t evolved the side at all other than the recruits.
My view on the above.. Sis is in the right part of the ground just the wrong role.. he needs to be freed up to play the interceptor.. ideal world, he’s not picking up Fritsch.. he’s playing on the same guy Stewart plays on each week.. no one..
Our hands have been tied by Blancks injury unfortunately.. it’s hard for me to say but we could really have done with Ben McKay.
I think we’ll be a lot better with Day back in. Less pressure on Jai. Worpel is trying his guts out..he’s been a lone hand in the centre.. I was interested that Weddle said he’d be working on his ruck craft
Over the break. 2nd ruck, that would be an interesting role for him.. he’s no shorter than the Saints 2nd ruck.. and he’s got a leap on him and runs all day..

I think the press generally don't have a clue and if they do they don't share it, better to go hard go outrageous and get the clicks.
Sam inherited a very sad list, look hard at how long Richmond, Melbourne, Carlton Collingwood StKilda etc were in the wilderness, its a miracle i think we are where we are. Might take a bit longer, but rather be on the premiership path, Sam is my man..
This is the way.

I think the press generally don't have a clue and if they do they don't share it, better to go hard go outrageous and get the clicks.
Sam inherited a very sad list, look hard at how long Richmond, Melbourne, Carlton Collingwood StKilda etc were in the wilderness, its a miracle i think we are where we are. Might take a bit longer, but rather be on the premiership path, Sam is my man..
This is the way.
I think Breust and Gunner will wind it up this year. Perhaps Chad, body permitting, may go 1 more.
That leaves you Frost, Chol and Sic as your senior/ older core.
If our kids come on as we hope, we'll be a serious force for a long time. As they will all come up together at the same time.

We'll still have a top 3 pick this year and perhaps Baz for a F1.

Interesting times ahead.

Fired is a bit harsh, it's a mistake. Does your employer fire you over a spelling mistake?
But it wasn't a spelling mistake. A spelling mistake is writing Janes or Jade's. Writing (Danny) and not having it proof read is a f&$king embarrassment.

Our drafting since 2020:

2020:
DGB- injury prone, has shown some, but plays a role that typically requires time without injury to develop... and he's been injured
Seamus Mitchell- was a slow burn when overcoming injury, has shown plenty in the last 18 months, :thumbsu::thumbsu:
Connor Downie- Gone
Brockie- Traded, rated highly, great selection if he had stuck around :thumbsu:
Saunders- gone

2021:
Ward- workhorse, moves well but has had his issues with concussion. Currently played out of position and is one of our best runners :thumbsu:
Connor Macdonald- Best performing player since Daysy I'd argue. Shown plenty and is clearly integral to our future :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Sam Butler- continues to grow. Hasn't cemented himself in best 22 but is making his case for it, especially if VFL form continues, then translates to AFL :thumbsu:
Serong- Tall swingman, developing very nicely by all accounts :thumbsu:
Ned Long- gone

2022:
Frenchie- shown elite traits all throughout, developing nicely and is clearly impressing the right people despite the pot shots he cops online :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Weddle- We're already building our game plan around players like Weds. Has the potential to be our best by the end of the year :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
HH- Could be the second coming of Pendles, man looks clean and composed even with two on him. Developing incredibly quickly :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
J O'Sul- If he wasn't so injury prone there's a chance he could have debuted.
BMac- going along nicely, looks up to the job and is pushing hard for senior spots when not injured :thumbsu:
Bennetts- Other than social media features, Bennetts has made a massive impact, winning best first year cap last year

In terms of overhauling our list, I'd say we've done an amazing job in a short amount of time, 2021 and 2022 look like drafts that'd yield 5+ starting 22 players. 2020 was a down year due to COVID, but I'm not as forlorn about DGB as some- if he can bounce back from this injury I'd think he has a shot earning himself another year or two.
When you factor in our MSD/PSD selections I'd say we've had a turn around of roughly 13 best 22 players in a four year period, all of which have seen players replaced with improvements- and that's without the development going into the players yet!
In three years time, from this cohort we will still have players eligible for the u22 AA- typically an award associated with young players who are developing into something special.

I'm not so sure about some posters here, but part of the joy of rebuilding is seeing that turnover and seeing how it grows over the coming years. The doomsayers love a reason to overreact and the Melbourne game was an easy one to, but jeez I can't believe some of the comments.

Our drafting since 2020:

2020:
DGB- injury prone, has shown some, but plays a role that typically requires time without injury to develop... and he's been injured
Seamus Mitchell- was a slow burn when overcoming injury, has shown plenty in the last 18 months, :thumbsu::thumbsu:
Connor Downie- Gone
Brockie- Traded, rated highly, great selection if he had stuck around :thumbsu:
Saunders- gone

2021:
Ward- workhorse, moves well but has had his issues with concussion. Currently played out of position and is one of our best runners :thumbsu:
Connor Macdonald- Best performing player since Daysy I'd argue. Shown plenty and is clearly integral to our future :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Sam Butler- continues to grow. Hasn't cemented himself in best 22 but is making his case for it, especially if VFL form continues, then translates to AFL :thumbsu:
Serong- Tall swingman, developing very nicely by all accounts :thumbsu:
Ned Long- gone

2022:
Frenchie- shown elite traits all throughout, developing nicely and is clearly impressing the right people despite the pot shots he cops online :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Weddle- We're already building our game plan around players like Weds. Has the potential to be our best by the end of the year :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
HH- Could be the second coming of Pendles, man looks clean and composed even with two on him. Developing incredibly quickly :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
J O'Sul- If he wasn't so injury prone there's a chance he could have debuted.
BMac- going along nicely, looks up to the job and is pushing hard for senior spots when not injured :thumbsu:
Bennetts- Other than social media features, Bennetts has made a massive impact, winning best first year cap last year

In terms of overhauling our list, I'd say we've done an amazing job in a short amount of time, 2021 and 2022 look like drafts that'd yield 5+ starting 22 players. 2020 was a down year due to COVID, but I'm not as forlorn about DGB as some- if he can bounce back from this injury I'd think he has a shot earning himself another year or two.
When you factor in our MSD/PSD selections I'd say we've had a turn around of roughly 13 best 22 players in a four year period, all of which have seen players replaced with improvements- and that's without the development going into the players yet!
In three years time, from this cohort we will still have players eligible for the u22 AA- typically an award associated with young players who are developing into something special.

I'm not so sure about some posters here, but part of the joy of rebuilding is seeing that turnover and seeing how it grows over the coming years. The doomsayers love a reason to overreact and the Melbourne game was an easy one to, but jeez I can't believe some of the comments.
We need to be patient (here is me saying it) as it was a mammoth List task. We could have done with McKay and I know we continue to throw money at getting the outcome we need, both forward and back.
With the recruitment or return of Rough to a specific task, we know where we are weak from a List perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back