Review Dangerfield: What's up?

Remove this Banner Ad

He has lost his explosive speed, could be groin or something to go with corkies every week plus knee and ankle problems. He needs the off season to get his body right for 2015 because he is a shadow of the Danger we all know and love.

He needs to be played predominantly as an outside mid for a while to get his body right. Allowing him to be a battering ram while injured is stupid coaching. He's lighting fast, let him run without the constant collisions for a while. We have an arsenal of inside mids, yet we use an injured jet in there all day long?? Get M.Crouch and Lyons inside and Danger outside FFS.
I'd play him as an outside mid for... the rest of his career.

Because lets face it - the outside mids have a shitload of contests to win anyway. They are just less congested. So it's more 1 on 1.

And who is going to beat danger in a 1 on 1?

No man alive.

So he'll receive, break a tackle run, hit hard and go long.
Or jump on something loose, smash a bloke, and tear off with it. He'll still be a midfielder, but I wouldn't put him in the middle of 20 blokes. The crouches can do that.

Injuries are clearly hindering his form, but…

If someone said at the start of the year he would be second in the league for contested possessions, forth for inside 50s, fifth for clearances and averaging about a goal a game would you take it? Yes…

I know it’s not everything, but statistics suggest he’s tracking more than adequately, not only compared to the league’s best midfielders, but also compared to his past AA seasons. The above statistical rankings are probably inflated by our game plan and his role, but are still nevertheless elite. JP Kennedy has been arguably the best inside midfielder this season and only averages a few more touches a game with similar disposal efficiency. Danger’s disposal efficiency is concerning but this a commonality for most clearance kings.

I think we have come to expect a bit too much from him and he’s clearly lacking support. Look at Kennedy and Sydney, both strong Brownlow and premiership fancies.

Yes, it’s frustrating not seeing Danger doing what he does best but he’s being doing it pretty well. Some of us, me included, want to see him on the outside a bit more, play different roles etc. It is frustrating seeing him (and coaches) seemingly reluctant to adjust his style, but does he really need to?

I’m guessing he’ll be sent to the repair shop at season’s end. Pretty sure the injuries he’s carrying are somewhat chronic and/or easily aggravated, and not the types that heal with a couple of weeks off. Danger at 50% is still a better player and more valuable to our team than 50% of our starting 22.

There is still a bit left in this season but no one would be surprised if he wins the Brownlow in 2015. Just don't expect it...

Last edited:

Because lets face it - the outside mids have a shitload of contests to win anyway. They are just less congested. So it's more 1 on 1.

No man alive.

Or jump on something loose, smash a bloke, and tear off with it. He'll still be a midfielder, but I wouldn't put him in the middle of 20 blokes. The crouches can do that.

I'm thinking about creating multiple accounts so I can like this more than once...

No man alive.

Outside mids need clean skills, something Danger does not have

I have a feeling he is not too impressed with being told to change how he plays and kind of repressed from his natural ways..
Just a feeling and taking note of a few things with him..

Has he got money on his mind?

He is most likely carrying a few soft tissue injuries, I would like to see him moved to half back and throw Smith in the middle more often, hopefully with Scotty Thompson back and Matt Crouch in the team Danger can go outside and use his pace more often

He's so much like Ricciutto it's not funny, except there's a hint of FIGJAM about him that Roo never had. Voss was another similar player.

The difference is, look at the midfields those two blokes were in, then look at our current midfield. Injuries aside, Danger at his best covers a lot of other deficiencies in our current midfield (mostly experience and speed).

I've jumped on and off the "trade him" train this year. To be honest, I think Danger himself has lost a bit of faith in the ability of some of his team mates, simply because he is asked (expected) to do so much. If I were him, getting bashed up every week, I'd be looking at a few others (like Douglas and McKay) and subconsciously I would be dark. He has an elite sportsman's mindset that I think he senses some others lack (not unlike Buckley at the Pies). He needs to be careful, because as a leader there's a time for expectation and there's a time for nurturing. With our young mids at the moment - Crouch x 2, Smith, Grigg ect - he needs to nurture.

He'd be filthy at blokes like Henderson and JJ at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feenix - I think that's a pretty astute post.

Paddy hasn't had a great year, but I find it hard to feel anything but positive towards him; he's playing injured (because of a short sighted coach, IMO) and he's trying to do everything himself, carry the side and do it all, and it's hurting his game.

Cannot fault his commitment or endeavour.

Last edited:
He's so much like Ricciutto it's not funny, except there's a hint of FIGJAM about him that Roo never had. Voss was another similar player.

The difference is, look at the midfields those two blokes were in, then look at our current midfield. Injuries aside, Danger at his best covers a lot of other deficiencies in our current midfield (mostly experience and speed).

I've jumped on and off the "trade him" train this year. To be honest, I think Danger himself has lost a bit of faith in the ability of some of his team mates, simply because he is asked (expected) to do so much. If I were him, getting bashed up every week, I'd be looking at a few others (like Douglas and McKay) and subconsciously I would be dark. He has an elite sportsman's mindset that I think he senses some others lack (not unlike Buckley at the Pies). He needs to be careful, because as a leader there's a time for expectation and there's a time for nurturing. With our young mids at the moment - Crouch x 2, Smith, Grigg ect - he needs to nurture.

He'd be filthy at blokes like Henderson and JJ at the moment.
I'm filthy with blokes like Henderson and JJ, does that make me danger ;)?

No man alive.

Quoted for absolute, incredible awesomeness.

Other than his slightly suspect kicking (which would improve when not dragging 3 blokes behind him), he would be a monster outside mid.

homerdrooling.jpeg

I would be asking him outright - are you going or staying?

Unless he categorically says - Alex, I'm staying 100%, I'd trade him.

If he says he is staying - I'd have a 4 year $3,500,000 deal on the table for him to sign right now.

I would be asking him outright - are you going or staying?

Unless he categorically says - Alex, I'm staying 100%, I'd trade him.

If he says he is staying - I'd have a 4 year $3,500,000 deal on the table for him to sign right now.
I think thats a fair call. We have runs on the board with him (first year) so I think we're entitled to be direct and expect a direct answer.

If says "Im staying", though, I'd be throwing a Buddy size contract at him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back