Vic Daniel Andrews Retires, Undefeated

Remove this Banner Ad

The Victorian government approved a secret taxpayer-funded bailout of Tennis Australia on the eve of the last state election, just four months before record crowds flooded back to Melbourne Park for last year’s bumper Australian Open.

The previously undisclosed “solvency and cash flow support” payment of up to $63 million, approved by Treasurer Tim Pallas on September 1, 2022, was purportedly made so that Tennis Australia could pay its bills after its cash reserves were depleted by the additional cost of staging successive tournaments during the pandemic, documents obtained under freedom-of-information laws reveal.

The contingency was approved about the same time the government forgave a $40 million loan made to Tennis Australia in February 2021 to cover additional costs at the height of the pandemic.
I would be interested to hear the justification for paying $100 million of public monies to be, effectively, handed on to a group of multi-millionaire tennis players.

I would be interested to hear the justification for paying $100 million of public monies to be, effectively, handed on to a group of multi-millionaire tennis players.
They'll probably say that "money talks."

Tennis’ Australian Open generated AUS$405.3 million (US$282.3 million) in economic benefit during its 2021 and 2022 editions, according to a new report by analytics firm Nielsen Sports.

The 2022 tournament generated AUS$267.3 million (US$186.5 million) in Real Gross State Product, while last year’s Australian Open generated AUS$138 million (US$96.3 million). Restrictions meant the figures were below pre-pandemic levels, with the 2020 tournament generating AUS$387.7 million (US$270.5 million).

Over the past ten years, the Grand Slam has contributed AUS$2.71 billion (US$1.89 billion) to the Victorian economy...

I'd like to see the Victorian taxpayer reap a little more reward for offering up our dollars like that though.

In all fairness, perhaps the justification is "we, the Government, imposed a bunch of requirements on Tennis Australia that cost them money, so we agreed to give them some cash so we could keep the Oz Open here". Nowhere near the mistake in scale or judgement that the Comm Games were.

In all fairness, perhaps the justification is "we, the Government, imposed a bunch of requirements on Tennis Australia that cost them money, so we agreed to give them some cash so we could keep the Oz Open here". Nowhere near the mistake in scale or judgement that the Comm Games were.

If Dimopoulos'(hope spelling is correct) figures are to be believed, the AusOpen will generate 4billion $ into the state economy over the period extension facilitated/fast-tracked by this payment.

While I agree with your last line, still have a major issue with this not being transparently disclosed at the time. 'IF' there is justification, then spell it out so people have context.

If Dimopoulos'(hope spelling is correct) figures are to be believed, the AusOpen will generate 4billion $ into the state economy over the period extension facilitated/fast-tracked by this payment.

While I agree with your last line, still have a major issue with this not being transparently disclosed at the time. 'IF' there is justification, then spell it out so people have context.
I've got no issue with supporting the AO particularly if there was any truth to the stories about Sydney and Shanghai circling for it. What is unacceptable is that the handout was shrouded in the usual Andrews government secrecy.

None of these types of figures are ever right.

None of these types of figures are ever right.

The article link quoted earlier on this page says 2.7 billion the last 10 years, not too much of a stretch to accept 4 billion for the next 10 - but yes to your point - what is the 2.7 billion past figure based on to justify the 4 billion future figure? It's obvious the volume of visitors, and therefore accommodation, retail, hospitality, etc expenses, but are they based on a delta to the 2 weeks prior with the same holiday period scenario?

The article link quoted earlier on this page says 2.7 billion the last 10 years, not too much of a stretch to accept 4 billion for the next 10 - but yes to your point - what is the 2.7 billion past figure based on to justify the 4 billion future figure? It's obvious the volume of visitors, and therefore accommodation, retail, hospitality, etc expenses, but are they based on a delta to the 2 weeks prior with the same holiday period scenario?
All these figures are based on a report commissioned by Tennis Australia and released the same month they received their bailout. I mean :shrug:

But hey, maybe they returned some of that money.

Craig Tiley was too busy doing this to return any of it.

smithers-money-fight.gif

Attachments

• 1705303648279.png
    1705303648279.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 16
All these figures are based on a report commissioned by Tennis Australia and released the same month they received their bailout. I mean :shrug:

If that's the case, maybe the govt should get treasury to calculate their analysis, agree any TA report isn't worth the paper/digital format it exists on. Much like the GP corporation spruiking benefits to Melb, when its just benefits to themselves and their mates/hangers on.

It's interesting to note that while Brett Sutton received congratulations from health officials for his Australia Day award, what is telling is that no congratulations came from the guy that stood alongside Sutton during the dark days of the COVID-19 pandemic when Victoria had to go into 6 lockdowns- the former Premier of Victoria, Daniel Andrews.

Sent from my 5002X using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's interesting to note that while Brett Sutton received congratulations from health officials for his Australia Day award, what is telling is that no congratulations came from the guy that stood alongside Sutton during the dark days of the COVID-19 pandemic when Victoria had to go into 6 lockdowns- the former Premier of Victoria, Daniel Andrews.

He cant tweet on the golf course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well his social media team now work for someone else.

They'll probably say that "money talks."

I'd like to see the Victorian taxpayer reap a little more reward for offering up our dollars like that though.
I wonder what the true cost to the state was (once you include wages of any public service support and junkets for pollies) and the actual economic bemefit rather than just assuming that additional visitors came for the Tennis rather than the long weekend, last part of school holidays, other events at the same time etc

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder what the true cost to the state was (once you include wages of any public service support and junkets for pollies) and the actual economic bemefit rather than just assuming that additional visitors came for the Tennis rather than the long weekend, last part of school holidays, other events at the same time etc

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, good points. It would be interesting if they could (or, more importantly WOULD) break it all down like that. I'm betting the junket costs might blow out a fair bit!!

Yeah, good points. It would be interesting if they could (or, more importantly WOULD) break it all down like that. I'm betting the junket costs might blow out a fair bit!!
Also, how many of the visitors are actually from Victoria, outside Melbourne.
And how much of the travel, retail and accommodation payments actually go straight to overseas owners.

Wonder how would Daniel Andrews had handled the Vic storms crisis that caused a massive power outage right across the state? And watching the press conference involving current Premier Jacinta Allen got me thinking, 'if only they had Jeroen Weimar there', who during the dark days of the Victoria COVID lockdowns press conferences gave precise and clear details about which areas were affected most by the virus.

Wonder how would Daniel Andrews had handled the Vic storms crisis that caused a massive power outage right across the state? And watching the press conference involving current Premier Jacinta Allen got me thinking, 'if only they had Jeroen Weimar there', who during the dark days of the Victoria COVID lockdowns press conferences gave precise and clear details about which areas were affected most by the virus.
No different to how Jacinta handled it.

Jeroen's focus is on overseeing delivery of 1,540 new homes each week or 308 homes per working day for the next 10 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back