David Grace QC: Conflict of interest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to reports, players from essendon will skip the ADRVP stage by not responding to the show cause notice and essentially get the case fast tracked to the afl tribunal, apparently headed by one David Grace QC. Isn't this the dude that represented Essendon players in the recent court case?

I was going to ask the same question when I read the article. The name was familiar.
Seems to be a direct conflict of interest if it's the same person.

You would certainly hope so, though it is being widely reported that the players will go directly to the afl tribunal headed by him. How could journos not pick that up?
Because most are too stupid and lazy to pick it up and the ones who are not stupid are smart enough to know where their bread is buttered.

If he heads that tribunal then there will be 4 words uttered by man an AFL fan, including me:

"That's it, I'm done"

So what you're saying is that they are trying to go straight to the tribunal in an effort to cheat the system...again. Sigh.

I am not sure actually that is what they are doing.

If they go straight to the tribunal I believe that means they have an infraction notice? Am I wrong here?

Show causes go out. If players do not beat them they go to the ADRVP who decide at that point to give infraction notices or not.

After that the players can either challenge them at another tribunal or go to the sports leading body who will give out punishments.

I probably am wrong though but this looks like the players are admitting they will get an infraction notice from the ADRVP so why go through with that process which will only take more time.

Someone with more knowledge can either back me up or tell me I am wrong (which I likely am)

I am not sure actually that is what they are doing.

If they go straight to the tribunal I believe that means they have an infraction notice? Am I wrong here?

Show causes go out. If players do not beat them they go to the ADRVP who decide at that point to give infraction notices or not.

After that the players can either challenge them at another tribunal or go to the sports leading body who will give out punishments.

I probably am wrong though but this looks like the players are admitting they will get an infraction notice from the ADRVP so why go through with that process which will only take more time.

Someone with more knowledge can either back me up or tell me I am wrong (which I likely am)

A player has an option of responding to an SCN with the hope of answering to ASADA's satisfaction. If so, then the investigation may be finalised at this point. As others have previously stated, this is not the usual result so the players have another option available to them to speed up the process. They can simply inform ASADA to go straight to the ADVRP who can issue a recommendation to the AFL.

The ADVRP don't issue the infraction notices, the AFL does based on ASADA's input and the recommendation of the ADVRP. If the AFL issues the IN (expected at this point) then the Tribunal is formulated to hear the evidence and the defence/ This will still take some time as the player must be given all of the evidence to be replied upon in the Tribunal, not just a summary and he will need time to examine it. (his lawyers)

Then we get to the Tribunal where a player can plead guilty or plead his case and wait for the result.

Of course, players can approach ASADA prior to all this, admit guilt and try to negotiate a deal. That's an option I dislike. If the evidence is strong enough then go through the process with no deal and if it isn't then no deals should be used to paper over poor evidence.

Either way, the SCNs aren't there to be 'beaten' as they are not an accusation....yet.

I'm going to forbid my children from watching law shows and playing lawyers if this goes ahead!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regular AFL Tribunal chairman David Jones will also chair any anti-doping hearings on a three-person bench rounded out by a lawyer and doctor who both have experience in the anti-doping sphere.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...layers-this-week/story-fni5f6kv-1227087563795

I think it's another piece of very poor journalism. I believe David Jones is the person.

While the majority of the players are being represented by the player union’s legal team headed by David Grace, QC,

How could the same person representing the players chair the tribunal?

You would certainly hope so, though it is being widely reported that the players will go directly to the afl tribunal headed by him. How could journos not pick that up?
Not many of them have picked up that the Charter was once Hird's 'nutritional advisor', and had a penchant for advisor athletes about the use of steroids.

Don't rock the boat, boys.

The AFL industry is full of conflicts of interest. It is standard operating procedure in this mate, mate, mate, mateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back