David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t believe that for one second, and I’m a Richo supporter.

I mer Richo in 2005sh. Maybe through our business connection with the SACA? I think that was it. Any rate at the time, he was running a small sports management company, had just started as CEO at the PAMFC and was from a Sturt supporting background. He was interested in my views, but was coming from a point where he didn't quite, at that stage atleast, get it. I think as CEO of the PAMFC, he was just trying to do the best for them. That was his job. I don't begrudge him that.

I mer Richo in 2005sh. Maybe through our business connection with the SACA? I think that was it. Any rate at the time, he was running a small sports management company, had just started as CEO at the PAMFC and was from a Sturt supporting background. He was interested in my views, but was coming from a point where he didn't quite, at that stage atleast, get it. I think as CEO of the PAMFC, he was just trying to do the best for them. That was his job. I don't begrudge him that.

Agreed. He was doing what he thought best for the PAMFC at the time.

Spinning it onto some 4D chess move by him for the long term benefit of PAFC is stretching credulity by some margin.

He made the statement in 2007.

FB_IMG_1631713480337.jpg

Dear members and supporters,

It’s been a tough week inside the Port Adelaide Football Club, and I know it has been for you also.

To get to the point we were on Saturday night, our second consecutive Preliminary Final with an AFL Grand Final within our grasp, takes everything and more of our players, coaches and staff, and we know how much you invest in that journey with us.

Our year was built on resilience given the challenges we faced all season. Our team did a terrific job throughout the year finding ways to win and finishing the minor round second on the ladder, playing our best game in the Qualifying Final win over Geelong and earning the opportunity we had on Saturday night.

To lose as we did is bitterly disappointing for everyone. We own it, there are no excuses. We will review every part of our season and the Preliminary Final performance and ensure we learn from it, as hard as that will be.

To win the ultimate, you have to be a strong and united football club. We are a very good football club, with great people, in a strong position with an exciting future agenda coming through the challenges of COVID. That is in no small way also thanks to the incredible support of our members and partners who are on this journey with us. There is no other way. There are no quick fixes or short cuts to success in this competition.

Greatness was never going to be easy and yes, we were smacked in the face and reminded of that on Saturday night in the harshest way.

Winning takes courage. Courage to believe in our plan and in our people and that’s exactly what we will be doing.

The player reviews started on Monday and the analysis of our season will continue for the coming weeks. It’s a brutal time for all inside a Club that didn’t achieve what we set out to in 2021.

The only thing that matters is what we do now and how we get better. We’ve made consecutive Preliminary Finals and have won more games than any other Club in the AFL across the last two seasons. Despite that, we’ve fallen short of our ultimate goal in both years and when it’s Greatness we are chasing, ultimately we have failed in our ambition.

We don’t need to dramatically change our program but we will take the opportunity now to change in the areas the coaches identify we need to improve to go further in 2022.

As I said in my update a couple of weeks’ ago, our Club is in as strong a position as we’ve been for many years and we won’t be wasting the hard work that has got us to this point. We are at the start of this journey and whilst at times it won’t necessarily go to plan and will test us, we won’t hide from that challenge.

This is a difficult time of year as we make decisions on people’s futures and I’d like to acknowledge Hamish Hartlett and Joel Garner for their contributions to our Club.

Like many I’ll never forget the 2014 Elimination Final against Richmond and Hamish’s attack on the ball at the northern end of Adelaide Oval in the second quarter which defined that day and defined Hamish as a great player and leader of our Club. More than that, Hamish is an outstanding person who has always put others ahead of himself. We wish him all the very best knowing he’ll always hold a special place in the hearts of everyone at the club.

This has not been the finish to the year any of us had hoped for. However, we offer no excuses. We will leave no stone unturned as we continue our journey to Greatness.

Take care and thank you for your support again in 2021.

Richo

We don’t need to dramatically change our program but we will take the opportunity now to change in the areas the coaches identify we need to improve to go further in 2022.
Sounds like we're in for some more of that innovative thinking that brought us co-captains. I'm so relieved. Greatness™ incoming.

How pathetic.

Just apologise and move on.

Who the f*** are they trying to convince with this 'we're on the right path, believe us!' nonsense? I'll tell you who they're trying to convince - themselves.

Such a gutless organisation. It's absolutely no wonder we get results like the one we did on Saturday night.

Hey Janus any explanation for what was served up Saturday. You have an interesting way of putting things and are generally positive, so I'm keen to hear your thoughts. How could the players be so psychologically bamboozled commencing that game?

What's your opinion as to whether there is any bouncing back from this or do we need some wholesale changes.

Hey Janus any explanation for what was served up Saturday. You have an interesting way of putting things and are generally positive, so I'm keen to hear your thoughts. How could the players be so psychologically bamboozled commencing that game?

What's your opinion as to whether there is any bouncing back from this or do we need some wholesale changes.
He's already opined on it in another thread.

Something to do with Rocky, Ford and Le Mans.

You dont believe some of the PAFC board didnt want to kill off the Magpies?

I know of one definitely wanted that and got applauded by the members one night for insinuating scrapping the Magpies, and that was a Magpies Members meeting, just bizarre that members just get their minds overtaken by crapola. Rather than thinking abut bringing the Port community together he wanted to drive the split wider. He once spoke about forging a new identity and emphasising that we have other colours. He was defending the appointment of M Williams in what became M William's final year of coaching us and telling us that we are going to have a dynasty under him. He was one of the directors appointed via the sanfl and not wanting Cahill as our inaugural coach, instead wanting Mark from day one, and sided with Moylan at that time when Cahill and Moylan clashed in the carpark. I think he is a Port supporter that changed allegiances when we didn't make the afl but I'm not sure. Anyway, who am I?

How pathetic.

Who the f*** are they trying to convince with this 'we're on the right path, believe us!' nonsense? I'll tell you who they're trying to convince - themselves.

Such a gutless organisation. It's absolutely no wonder we get results like the one we did on Saturday night.

You’d buy this, through gritted teeth, at the end of year 3-5 of a regime (Williams ‘03). 6-7 at the latest with the understanding that the coach is on an absolute hiding to nothing (Thompson/Hardwick ‘06/‘16).

At the end of year 9? Bloody hell.

He's employing this tactic to paint any dissent as not part of the club so he can claim his pre-made decision to 'Stick with Hink' is one of strength against adversity. In reality he's made the decision to satisfy the AFL's need for us to be stable in lieu of being successful.
And imagine if we were to win a flag in the first year of a new coach. I guess Koch would say, "X has done well in his new role, but he has Ken Hinkley to thank for his years of hard work in the lead up."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone’s on a ******* journey these days! Well, the journey they took me on Saturday night made me want to throw up. Cut the middle-management corporate wank, apologise, and take some real action, starting with the guy responsible for making sure the players show up to a ******* preliminary final.

Last edited:
And imagine if we were to win a flag in the first year of a new coach. I guess Koch would say, "X has done well in his new role, but he has Ken Hinkley to thank for his years of hard work in the lead up."

I could stomach that because you can make a counter comment besides Koch could be saying it as a former president.

How pathetic.

An absolutely gutless response, change the date and a few minor points and it could have been written by Keith Thomas any number of seasons ago.

So when it became time to make a hard decision Richardson and CD join the Gil McLachlan ‘men born without a spine’ club KT was a founding member of. It looks like the only one willing to call bullshit on Hinkley was Schofield and he had to go elsewhere to advance his career for his troubles.

We really need Tredrea (aka Arsene Wenger) to run for the next open board spot. He’s the only one critical of the current regime who has the member support to get over the puppet past player they’d try and put up against him.

'we need to improve in the areas the coaches identify we need to improve'

You fu**

The coaches are where we need to improve

One coach in particular

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Unbelievable.

The board and Richo are simply not doing their job..

They should be reviewing themselves then the coaches first.

#sackken

Demons.

So when it became time to make a hard decision Richardson and CD join the Gil McLachlan ‘men born without a spine’ club KT was a founding member of. It looks like the only one willing to call bullshit on Hinkley was Schofield and he had to go elsewhere to advance his career for his troubles.

We really need Tredrea (aka Arsene Wenger) to run for the next open board spot. He’s the only one critical of the current regime who has the member support to get over the puppet past player they’d try and put up against him.

For real how do we as supporters get Tredders on the board?

Why does David Koch hate Hamish Hartlett and Joel Garner. Koch claims that people that don't want Hinkley to be given contract extensions are Hinkley haters so surely the same logic applies to David when he doesn't ensure Hamish and Joel are given new contracts.
Exactly this, what's the difference.

For real how do we as supporters get Tredders on the board?
Start asking him to on Twitter and other platforms firstly. Koch can be President whilst in the media, so a board position whilst still having his day job is no issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back