Mega Thread #14 David Mackay - 14 possessions again

Can we piss off with these * is going next year and unsigned threads

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I know its unfashionable to give him any credit what so ever, but theres no way in hell van Berlo is worse than a B grader. Is also a better player than Douglas, despite Dougy's best and fairest.

vB is actually a pretty good player, no matter how much that upsets some of you.

I agree he's a reasonable player. I am just saying its there to be debated. Seen much sutpider comments on here is all I am really saying:)

He needs to be dropped NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Send him a freaking message!

He's done. Trade him at seasons end for anything we can get.

Absolutely useless player now, talk about a list clogger.

Not sure what to say. I am not sure you could be any more of a tool if you tried.:thumbsu:

Yes, Mackay is not at his best. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to give him a week back at South. But to call him useless is just plain stupidity. Clubs do not need Turkey supporters like you

I agree he's a reasonable player. I am just saying its there to be debated. Seen much sutpider comments on here is all I am really saying:)

Haha. I probably wouldnt have used the stupid call if I didnt think Carl was trolling me. :p

Not sure if its been posted in this thread anywhere, but I was just browsing the AFC site and noticed that one D Mackay is sitting second on the tackles list behind Sloane!

I am sure Sando's got him concentrating on the contested side of his game. We all know he can carve up in open spaces. I reckon Sando's trying to develop him while still playing him in the 1's. Maybe he'll give him a dozen games like this to try and build the inside game a bit more then when he's mastered that, let him go back to more of a balance.

Not sure if its been posted in this thread anywhere, but I was just browsing the AFC site and noticed that one D Mackay is sitting second on the tackles list behind Sloane!

I am sure Sando's got him concentrating on the contested side of his game. We all know he can carve up in open spaces. I reckon Sando's trying to develop him while still playing him in the 1's. Maybe he'll give him a dozen games like this to try and build the inside game a bit more then when he's mastered that, let him go back to more of a balance.

Tackling and getting at the oppositions ball carrier would be an expectation on all players no matter if you are a inside or outside player

just because D-Mac's tackle count is up doesnt necessarily mean he is developing into a inside player, we need D-Mac to create midfield spread from the stoppages and feed off our true inside mids in Danger, Sloane and Thommo

Once again, this bloke flies beneath the radar, but I think he played quite well. Still not playing that ultra outside game that we might be looking for, but this probably demonstrates his desire to make his opponent accountable through tackling. 20d 5t and 4m in a tight contested game v Sydney is quite good, and I hope we see even more improvement over the coming weeks :thumbsu:

Once again, this bloke flies beneath the radar, but I think he played quite well. Still not playing that ultra outside game that we might be looking for, but this probably demonstrates his desire to make his opponent accountable through tackling. 20d 5t and 4m in a tight contested game v Sydney is quite good, and I hope we see even more improvement over the coming weeks :thumbsu:

He is fast becoming the new Tyson Edwards. Goes about his business quietly, getting the job done.

Its the thing about the team at the moment. One week a player is up, next he's down, but at least a different one will be up. (to be clear the point i'm making is thats a good thing as opposed to early last season when all but about 3 managed to be down at the same time!) Sloane and Dangerfield traded good weeks earlier in the year. Tex and Tipp in the same boat, except tipp had a couple of good weeks, now has had a couple of baddies, and tex has been up.

The good thing is more and more are on the up and up. Talia, McKernan, Reilly, Tex, Danger have had career best games in the last couple of weeks, possibly sauce as well. Porps is definitely trending better. Mackay going ok and improving. Stiffy improving. Hendo, Callinan (sort of by default since he hasnt played many) and possibly Jaensch.

Just wish Vince would have a game like Danger did against the power to re-breakout.

He is fast becoming the new Tyson Edwards. Goes about his business quietly, getting the job done.

Disagree. Nit fit to cleans Tysons boots at the moment. Saturday was an improvement, but he is not contributing anywhere near to the extent of Tyson Edwards.

At 23 with 70 odd games experience he should be showing some on field leadership.

Big improvement needed from D-mac if he is going to stay in front of Kerridge, Lyons, Martin, Crouch etc.

I agree Duck - but I also think he has been asked to dramatically change how he plays. Probably more than most IMO.
Line breaking doesn't seem to be as important to Sando as getting the ball forward faster than a guy can ran past for a handball.
His tackle count is through the rough.
Agree he needs to pull his finger out leadership wise... needs to get outside his comfort zone and assert himself a little more. But i do think he is going through some big changes to how he plays.
Do NOT get the Tyson comparison... Edwards was all about time in limited space and rarely kicked the ball at pace on the run. Mackay is the exact opposite when in his comfort zone - kicking on the run with skill obviously his biggest asset. Tyson's defensive abilities also far more refined than Mackay, started his career as a shutdown small defender and did it well.

Disagree. Nit fit to cleans Tysons boots at the moment. Saturday was an improvement, but he is not contributing anywhere near to the extent of Tyson Edwards.

At 23 with 70 odd games experience he should be showing some on field leadership.

Big improvement needed from D-mac if he is going to stay in front of Kerridge, Lyons, Martin, Crouch etc.

I think you missed the point. I think Jenny was suggesting that you don't notice how frequently he is getting the ball and when you look at the stats it suprises you. Comparison of flying under the radar, not game styles. I thought his game wasn't bad on the weekend. I noticed him disposing of the ball and then laying a shephard after disposing of it to give the other player time (something many other players weren't doing) and also liked a contest in the last quarter where he put a block on Kennedy to stop him getting the ball and going. Little things that help the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you missed the point.

No I didnt. Tyson was infinitely better at getting the job done than D-mac. I don't even consider Tyson a quiet achiever his value to the side was never under the radar. D-mac's output (output, not disposal stats) is not currently at an acceptable level for a bloke of his ability and experience.

No I didnt. Tyson was infinitely better at getting the job done than D-mac. I don't even consider Tyson a quiet achiever his value to the side was never under the radar. D-mac's output (output, not disposal stats) is not currently at an acceptable level for a bloke of his ability and experience.

Edwards wasn't an elite player for some years after he started with us. But when he started getting the job done, he OFTEN went unnoticed for the flashier McLeod, Roo or Goodwin. I see Mackay in the same light. When he's on his game, his performance often gets overlooked for the Thommo, Dangerfield types.

Mackay is flashy when he's on. We raved about his 2009 SF performance. Very noticeable. Don't see the comparison at all.

Edwards wasn't an elite player for some years after he started with us. But when he started getting the job done, he OFTEN went unnoticed for the flashier McLeod, Roo or Goodwin. I see Mackay in the same light. When he's on his game, his performance often gets overlooked for the Thommo, Dangerfield types.

I remmeber in about 97 someone telling me that they had spotted Edwards just standing off a pack with his hands on his hips looking disinterested. He hadn't struck me as that sort of player. Turned out to be more than interested for most of his 300+ games IMO.

However, the OP does resonate with me because I think for the past two years there have been several Crows who have been just happy to be AFL players who are comfortable with September being a bit of extra holiday, and Mackay is the sort of player I would lump into that group.

I thought his last quarter was very, very good on the weekend.

Need to see more of that gut running from him.

Had very fresh legs in that last quarter I thought, was providing run when most were buggered. He and Jaensch will pull off some ripper running plays in the near future I reckon.

I remmeber in about 97 someone telling me that they had spotted Edwards just standing off a pack with his hands on his hips looking disinterested. He hadn't struck me as that sort of player. Turned out to be more than interested for most of his 300+ games IMO.

However, the OP does resonate with me because I think for the past two years there have been several Crows who have been just happy to be AFL players who are comfortable with September being a bit of extra holiday, and Mackay is the sort of player I would lump into that group.

Bernie Vince and the whole Port Adelaide club fits that bill IMO....

I want to see our all our players attack the ball like Danger, Sloane, Wright and Petrenko... And if they dont, dont play them.... That attack on the ball is the only reason we have won our last two games. You do not see it when Port play. I doubt we will see it when Vince comes back. Id rather play Kerridge if he is going to have a fair dinkum crack.
It reminds me of St Kilda 2010 and West Coast 2011...
Hopefully Crows 2012

Had very fresh legs in that last quarter I thought, was providing run when most were buggered. He and Jaensch will pull off some ripper running plays in the near future I reckon.

Agree..........McKay committed himself (second 1/4 I think) on his knees,front on, head at oncoming knee height, to contest a ball Sat Night. It surprised me at the time as being out of character (IMO) and was one of those things that gives everyone a lift, excluding the opposition. I can see his game changing, slowly. He is unobtrusive.

I also predict he will just get better under Sando. He'll do me!

He finds the footy a little more when at his best, but I noticed, for the first time this year, some genuine Mackay touches. Carrying the footy, weaving through congestion. He looked good.

He and Porps have much to offer if they can continue stringing games together.

He finds the footy a little more when at his best, but I noticed, for the first time this year, some genuine Mackay touches. Carrying the footy, weaving through congestion. He looked good.

He and Porps have much to offer if they can continue stringing games together.

he is doing his fair share of inside work as well

thought his game was very good today :thumbsu:

Back