David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it's all over now and i'm glad he got his baggy green cap back, he's one lucky bloke to have been able to finish his career the way he has. IMO the South African fiasco will taint him forever and it was handled poorly from the moment it happened.
I wonder where cricket fans rate him among the all time great openers for Australia?
Will he be remembered along with :
Ponsford
Morris
Lawry
Simpson
Boon
Taylor
Hayden
Langer
Sid Barnes who was an attacking batsman from the mid 30s to the early 50s once said about his promotion to opening the batting

Does Warner make the top 10 Australian openers of all time?
David Boon... So much disrespect for Warner.

See ya, you won't be remembered.
I'll always remember him. Legend of world cricket. One of the best openers of all time, certainly in Australian history.

He has given us some great summer memories for over a decade and been a proven star in 3 formats. Arguably the best ever IPL batsmen - the premium t20 event. Dominated the 2019 men's world cup in England.

Combative, entertaining, skillful and passionate.

Well it's all over now and i'm glad he got his baggy green cap back, he's one lucky bloke to have been able to finish his career the way he has. IMO the South African fiasco will taint him forever and it was handled poorly from the moment it happened.
I wonder where cricket fans rate him among the all time great openers for Australia?
Ponsford
Morris
Lawry
Simpson
Boon
Taylor
Hayden
Langer
Sid Barnes who was an attacking batsman from the mid 30s to the early 50s once said about his promotion to opening the batting

Does Warner make the top 10 Australian openers of all time?
Yes. Comfortably.

He’s had a tremendous career came from a different pathway and made it to the top in every form of the game. Not everyone’s cup of tea and certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed but a very good player. Think there is a few chapters yet to be written and ultimately that may colour how he is remembered - if I were writing his memoir I’d call it “Polarising” - The David Warner Story - still unforgivable that he forced Randwick to play with 10 one day in Grade

He's been a great one day and t20 player for australia. He may have been a good test player but I can't remember, as he's been terrible for at least 3 years. Glad they'll finally give someone else a go as we may uncover an opener that can contribute overseas 🤞

Ponsford
Morris
Lawry
Simpson
Boon
Taylor
Hayden
Langer

Does Warner make the top 10 Australian Openers of all time list?

I don't like him but let's be real, he should be ranked higher than Taylor and Boon as an opener.

Brett Lee once said something like, 'If you can't get along with Simon Katich then you must be one of the worst blokes in the world'
Yeah, he’s (Kato) a fantastic bloke - I ended up in NZ during a Test in Wellington in 2005 and fluked staying at the same Hotel as the Aus Team - I got a few bats signed for my boys and when he found out I’d played at Randwick he invited me to have breakfast with him the next day and swap a few stories - probably the most telling comments came from blokes at Wests who reckoned when he finished cricket they didn’t think he’d have a friend out of the game - aside from Warne

I don't like him but let's be real, he should be ranked higher than Taylor and Boon as an opener.

He averaged lower than Boon. His strike rate is higher, his away record is inferior.
They probably cancel each other out a bit so the only real debate left is quality of opposition and conditions.
Boon as an opener faced some lethal West Indian bowlers, Dev, Botham, only had to open a handful of times against Imran/Wasim/Waqar and had moved back to 3 by the time Donald and de Villiers arrived. Sri Lanka he faced when they were garbage. Ravi Ratnayake I think took 6-for in Hobart in their first test in Australia opening the bowling. Conditions were generally I would say more bowler friendly than they have been for most of Warner’s career.

Warner has had to open against some excellent attacks from England and India, an all time great attack from SA, some pretty piss poor ones from WI (who he oddly struggled against away, I can’t recall how he’s done against them here), Pakistan have been ordinary, NZ have been decent for a good portion of his career, Sri Lanka have been junk.

I don’t think it’s unfair to compare the two as openers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand why he is divisive but I will miss him.

As a Test player, I consider him to be occasionally frustrating but consistently entertaining. The 'frustrating' became more prominent in the later part of his career.

He has played a number of innings which will remain in my mind. His first Test ton against New Zealand carrying his bat in the fourth innings on a lively track in Hobart probably remains his best ton. As a young cricket fan at the time I loved his destructive 180 against India in Perth in the same summer. I'll also acknowledge his 335* and the against the run of form 200 v South Africa last summer batting in hot conditions.

Thanks for the memories David.

Boon opening had a higher average.
Boon opening away from home had a higher average.

Not really sure what’s disrespectful about having him in the conversation
Boon scored 7500 runs at an average of almost 44, batting as an opener and number three, against some of the greatest fast bowlers to have ever played the game. The disrespect being shown in this thread is to Boon by people being so dismissive of him and probably by some too young to see him play.

Boon scored 7500 runs at an average of almost 44, batting as an opener and number three, against some of the greatest fast bowlers to have ever played the game. The disrespect being shown in this thread is to Boon by people being so dismissive of him and probably by some too young to see him play.

Just briefly, very briefly, before Lara and Tendulkar had truly taken their place at their peak and Steve Waugh had reached his, and after Viv and Border had departed, Boon was lauded rightfully at the time as probably the best batsman in the world. It was around the time of his three hundreds in the 1993 ashes.

Just briefly, very briefly, before Lara and Tendulkar had truly taken their place at their peak and Steve Waugh had reached his, and after Viv and Border had departed, Boon was lauded rightfully at the time as probably the best batsman in the world. It was around the time of his three hundreds in the 1993 ashes.
Maybe a few Tasmanians rated him that highly, he had a strike rate of 40 LOL

Maybe a few Tasmanians rated him that highly, he had a strike rate of 40 LOL

And? How high do you think everyone else’s strike rate was at that point who had averaged over 50 for 3 consecutive calendar years and 34 tests?
Tendulkar himself was only striking in the 40s and had only had one year averaging above 50 (albeit he averaged 90 in that year)
Lara’s surge started a year later.

Michael Slater didn’t debut until 18 months after that run started.
Salim Malik would have been a candidate except he only played one test in 1993 and failed in it.

Not really sure what your issue is with a guy scoring 2800 runs across 3 years averaging
Scoring 10 centuries
Across three years and being regarded possibly as the world’s best batsman for a short period actually is?
And it’s not like he fluked it:
2 years before that run he scored almost 1000 runs at 60, and the year after it, he scored 760 at 47.

He averaged lower than Boon. His strike rate is higher, his away record is inferior.

So what?

Viv Richards averaged just over 50 yet most people consider him a better batsman than those who ended up with a better average.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back