Warner; time he walked/was pushed off the plank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the constant selection of Warner despite him obviously being not able to do the job one of the worst selection mistakes in sporting history? What other candidates are there?

It's beyond belief now. As mentioned above he clearly has no shame. Most normal people would just fall on their sword. I know if I was performing so poorly at work I'd just quit out of sheer embarrassment. Most players have built up credits in the bank for not making much this series. He spent his last summer. I can't believe how gutless the selectors are. How can they stay in a job

60 runs and soaking up 91 deliveries is almost certainly more than any other option would have given us so... Good selection, I guess.

Shite to have to accept that level of mediocrity but you can only select from the options in front of you and none are particularly great.

I wouldn't bother dropping him for the last test because I don't think Harris will do much better but it should be his last test. No farewell tour this summer.

I wouldn't bother dropping him for the last test because I don't think Harris will do much better but it should be his last test. No farewell tour this summer.
It's a late start to the summer right? Maybe enough time for Puc to get some Sheffield shield under his belt?

Maybe wishful thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an aside Puc not fulfilling his potential would be pretty devastating for Aussie cricket.

There's not loads of young A grade talent floating around the batting ranks so we have to capitalise on as much as we can.

Cam Green has started his test career reasonably well but hitting a bit of a plateau (common for cricketers his age).

Jason Sangha is looking increasingly like a good FC career is going to be his ceiling (and he's currently falling well short on that). Jake Fraser-McGurk might not even get that far. Next cab off the rank is Teague Wyllie and we'd love to see a good couple of FC seasons before launching his FC career.

We didn't have a good hit rate with the top level juniors of the 2000s and early 2010s... Steve Smith, Mitch Marsh, Mark Cosgrove, Callum Ferguson, William Bosisto, Nic Maddinson and Chris Lynn were the standout talents off the top of my head from that period and the final returns are a bit underwhelming.

It'd be nice not to repeat.

You'd be pretty confident in finding the next generation Khawaja - mid to high level that relies mostly on concentration.

But it's the number of top level talents that go on to big test careers that determine how good a batting line-up will be. One or two (Smith, Clarke) and it'll be decent but a great batting line up needs three or maybe even four players of that calibre.

Last edited:
Tail wagging the dog, Warner dictating to the selectors when he will finish.

Reminds me of finch on the ODI/T20 setup, should have been given the ass a lot earlier than we he 'decided' to retire

Stop letting players who are underperforming for way too long dictate when they'll finish

Sent from my CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geez I miss Hayden and Langer!!!!
Nobody in Australian cricket misses Justin Langer, except his buddies who choked away the 2005 Ashes.

However one positive about Warner is that, like Langer, he didn't base his retirement date purely on the fear of touring England again... which can't be said about Hayden and Gilchrist.

And he has already failed at test level. Everyone at the top of the shield run scoring list has. Bancroft, Harris, Handscomb. The cupboard is bare. That is why they have stuck with Warner. There would be a dozen batsman from the 90s that wished they were born 20-30 years later.

And he has already failed at test level. Everyone at the top of the shield run scoring list has. Bancroft, Harris, Handscomb. The cupboard is bare. That is why they have stuck with Warner. There would be a dozen batsman from the 90s that wished they were born 20-30 years later.
I am sorry but you have totally wiped Bancroft after 10 matches. I can name many test players who did not cement themselves in a test team after far more matches than that figure. And by the way many test players have had more than 2 starts - after being dropped - before they established themselves. At the very least, if the old adage is that you pick players on form then Bancroft had to be in the touring squad at the very least given his 22/23 Shield performances.

On the flip side, Warner should not have been selected. Goodnight & good luck.

The problem is not Warner, its the selectors who pick the team....that is the people that keep selecting him....

Last edited:
Geez I miss Hayden and Langer!!!!

warner & hughes could've been a really good opening combo - we'll never know.

sometimes some careers need to align for long term opening p'ships like haynen/langer taylor/slater etc.

but gee whiz 12 opening partners:

hughes, cowan, rogers, burns, renshaw, bancroft, harris, pucovski, khawaja, watson, s.marsh, maxwell

looks like warner will get another go at the oval.

could he finish in india and england without a test ton.

it'll be interesting to see if he gets the 3 tests he craves for back in oz.

could this test determine his fate? a reasonable score and he stays, a poor score and lots of thinking for the selectors for the next few months.

looks like warner will get another go at the oval.

could he finish in india and england without a test ton.

it'll be interesting to see if he gets the 3 tests he craves for back in oz.

could this test determine his fate? a reasonable score and he stays, a poor score and lots of thinking for the selectors for the next few months.
There is a 0% chance of Warner being dropped.

Selectors have decided that they are comfortable with the 20-30 runs per innings they are getting. We've just won the WTC and retained the Ashes, as far as they are concerned, the selection of Warner has been vindicated.

There is a 0% chance of Warner being dropped.

Selectors have decided that they are comfortable with the 20-30 runs per innings they are getting. We've just won the WTC and retained the Ashes, as far as they are concerned, the selection of Warner has been vindicated.

well it'll give time for harris, renshaw, bancroft, pucovski at the start of the summer to press hard i guess, unless they wanna find a way to squeeze in green and marsh regularly playing together, because clearly neither are a 4th bowler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back