SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Looks like the Maggies have a fairly soft fixture coming up.

With no disrespect to Essendon next week, I think they have been softened up by the Dockers in Perth, and have a fairly easy training drill against the Saints this week.

Having conquered them, in a hypothetical outcome, we have:

Carlscum - focussing more on playing out a game at the moment, rather than winning or getting a score on the board, SHOULD win

The bye - for those unaware, this is not NRL, so we cannot gain points on this one, except maybe extra Dream Team points the following week, when Benny Reid comes back from the magoos ;)

The Crows in Adelaide - whether it is AAMI or the Adelaide Oval, I imagine we should give this a good shake on Adelaide's form.

West Coast at the MCG - Eagles have not beaten us at the home of football since 1995, and are not a Premiership nor a finals challenging team, despite early doors, so we should be able to pencil this one down as a percentage booster

St Kilda at Etihad - Tough assignment, especially how Riewoldt plays the narrow corridors, but honestly, we did them in last time in poor form. I think their victories against GWS in Melbourne, and the Demons when they were underdogs, which always seems to happen with Melbourne in round 1, are not even an aberration. Would reckon Swanny, Pendlebury, and Cloke will have big games.

Melbourne at the MCG - They did beat Carlton, but could not even beat GWS or St Kilda as favorites. I think this one will be another percentage booster. No forwards, midfield, or superstars besides Jack Watts. Switch their skippers like a light bulb. I would certainly get along to this, if you are a cricket fan in search of a considerable first innings.

Western Bulldogs at Etihad - Probably the biggest challenge at Etihad this season, considering the Doggies beat Richmond in a thriller, despite giving up a six plus goal lead from late in the third term. I would imagine it will be closer than it seems on paper, but the Doggies have not beaten the Pies since round 22 2009, and the old Dogs have been replaced by new pups. I think last year's game is an indication of how this will pan out, and by this stage Cloke will be firing. Might even get ugly if the Doggies do not come to play.

Then we reach Hawthorn. This is a big game, and our first acid test. We face Adelaide twice, again at the MCG, and West Coast in Perth (could be 50-50), and also Brisbane, Carlton and Port Adelaide at the MCG, and Hawthorn and Essendon again at the MCG.

You would imagine the Port Adelaide game might be tough, depending on how the Power go with injuries and form. They did get beaten by the Kangaroos, who we have just conquered quite clinically, so we are lucky not to face the Power in Adelaide.

The Lions should be a cake walk, considering the Tigers went missing for three quarters, and still smashed them by seven and a half sausages. Browny is the only shining and yet fading light in the team, and we did pinch Karnezis from them, who had irritated this Magpie fan in a NAB Cup fixture in 2013.....

Call the Essendon game a 50-50, as again the Bombers have shown a tendency to fade late in seasons, so we might even go two and zero against the arch enemies.

The Carlton game later in the year you can categorically say, in the words of MM, a win. It seems that Daisy and MM have taken to Eddie's hidden agenda, and destroyed the Blues from within. Swanny always plays well against the Blues, as does Pendlebury, so perhaps the chance for fighting amongst the Brownlow votes?

If we take one of the Hawks games, that would be a bonus, and a confidence boost coming into finals. It is about time we pulled out heads out of our backsides, as there is no Buddy to worry about now, and Frosty is looking likely to go to Roughhead or Hale, while Toovey and Fasolo seem able to play small, as does Sinclair. Gunston and Rioli beware!!!

We should belt the GWS away, and grind out a win against Gold Coast away, although they were made to look like bystanders against the Hawks. I would say last year's result was a flash in the pan, and we should have warmed to our season, our structures, and we will be less complacent and more accountable up at Metricon.

Does anyone feel the McDonald's Cafeteria can take Ablett? He is becoming the next Ryan Crowley, and can probably take a leaf out of his book....

I will say right now, that if we win Anzac day, we SHOULD go to Round 14 at 12-2, and should definitely go 18-4 for the season, perhaps more if we can take a big scalp like Hawthorn, Essendon twice, and the Eagles in Perth.

Input is welcome on this analysis.

Jim

Looks like the Maggies have a fairly soft fixture coming up.

With no disrespect to Essendon next week, I think they have been softened up by the Dockers in Perth, and have a fairly easy training drill against the Saints this week.

Having conquered them, in a hypothetical outcome, we have:

Carlscum - focussing more on playing out a game at the moment, rather than winning or getting a score on the board, SHOULD win

The bye - for those unaware, this is not NRL, so we cannot gain points on this one, except maybe extra Dream Team points the following week, when Benny Reid comes back from the magoos ;)

The Crows in Adelaide - whether it is AAMI or the Adelaide Oval, I imagine we should give this a good shake on Adelaide's form.

West Coast at the MCG - Eagles have not beaten us at the home of football since 1995, and are not a Premiership nor a finals challenging team, despite early doors, so we should be able to pencil this one down as a percentage booster

St Kilda at Etihad - Tough assignment, especially how Riewoldt plays the narrow corridors, but honestly, we did them in last time in poor form. I think their victories against GWS in Melbourne, and the Demons when they were underdogs, which always seems to happen with Melbourne in round 1, are not even an aberration. Would reckon Swanny, Pendlebury, and Cloke will have big games.

Melbourne at the MCG - They did beat Carlton, but could not even beat GWS or St Kilda as favorites. I think this one will be another percentage booster. No forwards, midfield, or superstars besides Jack Watts. Switch their skippers like a light bulb. I would certainly get along to this, if you are a cricket fan in search of a considerable first innings.

Western Bulldogs at Etihad - Probably the biggest challenge at Etihad this season, considering the Doggies beat Richmond in a thriller, despite giving up a six plus goal lead from late in the third term. I would imagine it will be closer than it seems on paper, but the Doggies have not beaten the Pies since round 22 2009, and the old Dogs have been replaced by new pups. I think last year's game is an indication of how this will pan out, and by this stage Cloke will be firing. Might even get ugly if the Doggies do not come to play.

Then we reach Hawthorn. This is a big game, and our first acid test. We face Adelaide twice, again at the MCG, and West Coast in Perth (could be 50-50), and also Brisbane, Carlton and Port Adelaide at the MCG, and Hawthorn and Essendon again at the MCG.

You would imagine the Port Adelaide game might be tough, depending on how the Power go with injuries and form. They did get beaten by the Kangaroos, who we have just conquered quite clinically, so we are lucky not to face the Power in Adelaide.

The Lions should be a cake walk, considering the Tigers went missing for three quarters, and still smashed them by seven and a half sausages. Browny is the only shining and yet fading light in the team, and we did pinch Karnezis from them, who had irritated this Magpie fan in a NAB Cup fixture in 2013.....

Call the Essendon game a 50-50, as again the Bombers have shown a tendency to fade late in seasons, so we might even go two and zero against the arch enemies.

The Carlton game later in the year you can categorically say, in the words of MM, a win. It seems that Daisy and MM have taken to Eddie's hidden agenda, and destroyed the Blues from within. Swanny always plays well against the Blues, as does Pendlebury, so perhaps the chance for fighting amongst the Brownlow votes?

If we take one of the Hawks games, that would be a bonus, and a confidence boost coming into finals. It is about time we pulled out heads out of our backsides, as there is no Buddy to worry about now, and Frosty is looking likely to go to Roughhead or Hale, while Toovey and Fasolo seem able to play small, as does Sinclair. Gunston and Rioli beware!!!

We should belt the GWS away, and grind out a win against Gold Coast away, although they were made to look like bystanders against the Hawks. I would say last year's result was a flash in the pan, and we should have warmed to our season, our structures, and we will be less complacent and more accountable up at Metricon.

Does anyone feel the McDonald's Cafeteria can take Ablett? He is becoming the next Ryan Crowley, and can probably take a leaf out of his book....

I will say right now, that if we win Anzac day, we SHOULD go to Round 14 at 12-2, and should definitely go 18-4 for the season, perhaps more if we can take a big scalp like Hawthorn, Essendon twice, and the Eagles in Perth.

Input is welcome on this analysis.

Jim

Although optimism is good, If we manage to beat Hawthorn at any stage this year I will be shocked beyond belief. 18-4 is properly a little high.
We should beat Carlton twice
5-2
playing Hawthorn twice most likely lose both games as they are unbelievable
5-4
Melbourne, GWS, Brisbane, Adelaide should be wins
9-4
Most likely go 1 all with West coast (depends on injuries)
10-5
Don't underestimate Port they are an excellent team, Imo possible top 4
10-6
Goldcoast are a good side but hopefully we can enact revenge
11-6
Essendon 1 all
12-7
Hawthorn 2 down
12-9
Adelaide again properly win
13-9

Although optimism is good, If we manage to beat Hawthorn at any stage this year I will be shocked beyond belief. 18-4 is properly a little high.
We should beat Carlton twice
5-2
playing Hawthorn twice most likely lose both games as they are unbelievable
5-4

Melbourne, GWS, Brisbane, Adelaide should be wins
9-4
Most likely go 1 all with West coast (depends on injuries)
10-5
Don't underestimate Port they are an excellent team, Imo possible top 4
10-6
Goldcoast are a good side but hopefully we can enact revenge
11-6
Essendon 1 all
12-7
Hawthorn 2 down
12-9

Adelaide again properly win
13-9

will we lose 4 times to the hawks....

I am extremely worried about Hawthorn both times and WCE over there. Apart from that, if we play the way we have been playing I don't see why we can't win 15 games this season. Reid and Marly (maybe) and Sinclair still to come back we will be even stronger.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, we need to worry about Essendon first and not get carried away. If we beat Essendon I may not be able to control myself from getting carried away.

If we finish 18-4 this season, I will do unspeakable and shameful things to each and every one of you. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing for some, but it's bad for me :oops:
Pffffttt!!

You don't know how good looking I am.

Pffffttt!!

You don't know how good looking I am.
This bloke is right you know....

As the male of his species, and being quite portly and calorically sound, all the women spiders want to do bad, bad things to this fella, and then eat him!!

Also he does not only have two arms/ legs, but four times the pair. Imagine what he could do with the other six, right?

Maybe I calculated wrong......I just do not think we will get done by Port Adelaide. They might go off winning against other sides, like Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval, or currently beating West Coast in Perth, but seriously? Ken Hinkley and David Koche will see the ferris wheel come of it's axle some time, and then the club will go from being a carnival to a circus, with a whole heap of clowns.

Additionally, West Coast and Essendon. The Eagles are not much, despite the hype around their form, and a new coach. I think the Pies are a great traveling side, and they proved this against Sydney (who by the way just beat those "MIGHTY" Dockers!), and a trip to Perth against them? You only need to look back at every match between the semi final in 2007, and round 22 2012. We beat them soundly in both pre-season and home and away, and hell in the pre-season last year, we went across and beat them again!! The Eagles might have beaten the Demons in Melbourne, but it is a bit different to this new defensive unity they have found down at Collingwood. Maxwell is back in vogue, and he is marshaling young blokes like Langdon, Frost, and Keefe superbly, and has been joined by such ex forwards as Fasolo. When Brown comes back, that backline is going to be formidable, and the forward line as of last night, has finally been unCLOKED ;)

Essendon lost to St Kilda, who are under Alan Richardson. I doubt the Bombers went out trying to rest players for Anzac Day. Richo knew what he was doing there, and he still has a bitter pill to swallow not beating the Bombers in the 1990 Grand Final, so he does it every other time too!! Despite this win, bring on the Saints anyway. We have expatriate Collingwood men destroying clubs from within, EVERYWHERE!!

So I would pencil wins myself in hypothetically (to clarify) against: Carlton (twice, at the MCG), Adelaide (twice, MCG and Adelaide Oval), West Coast (twice, MCG and Subiaco), St Kilda (once, Etihad), Melbourne (once, MCG), Footscray (once, Etihad), Gold Coast and GWS, Brisbane (once, MCG),

We SHOULD beat Bombers this week, as no injuries or reports have come out of our game, and the Bombers will be a little ginger being humbled by the Saints. Again, we should nail them later on, due to the aforementioned tendency to lose form late in the season. We also SHOULD beat Port Adelaide at the MCG, and I doubt lightning can strike twice. They had us in one year, and our form, with injuries and lack of team gelling, was going to make us susceptible anyway. Every other year, bar 2007 at the MCG when they made the Grand Final, and we were a young team, we have had their measure. If we had reversed that 5 point result in the PF against Geelong, who here will tell me, we would not have taken home the cup against Port the way they performed?

I will go so far to say we will lose both against the Hawks, but I could still be proven wrong.

Do bad things to me gentlemen, because I am standing by my 18-4 record, perhaps 19-3, and this could give us top spot and a home final with the way the evenness of the competition is playing out.

Just remember, what has happened before, will happen again. These are only THEORIES though. I am not that presumptuous, nor am I complacent and cocky. I am just enjoying seeing the boys come back from that Dockers loss, results fall our way around our form, and hopefully we can streamline the gaps teams leave in the middle, to rise to the cream on the top.

Regards,

Jim

If we come first I will run around and never stop dancing, so in other words this is very very optimistic at this stage.

It is looking good at the moment. I am worried about Essendon and the trip to Adelaide however, both sides are still fairly unpredictable. The Bombers I expect to bounce back after tonight's loss and Goddard will be a big inclusion. Adelaide I still think are a side that when they click can do some damage, Dangerfield still hasn't hit his straps.

We should win against these teams as well as the others mentioned, however I still have haunting memories of 2012 against Carlton. Hot favourites each game we played and yet we lost both..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh this thread may come back to bite us...

As we saw last year, one week at a time please. Certainly don't go pencilling down win after win because that's what we did last year and we dropped games we should have won.

I'll take 15 wins thank you very much. Would be very happy with that.

Nah I doubt it. I will have forgotten about this thread mid week, and I will only be focusing on the one game by the week anyway. There is nothing wrong with fantasizing, or dreaming, and we all know it is difficult to win 18 games of footy in a year.

It is nice to be a bit over zealous after a win no? There is no crime here putting positive energy into the Universe. The more we believe, the more we receive.

Remember the old addage, he who hesitates (as in is cautious in the approach of this young Collingwood side, and is not convinced of greater things to come) is lost.

This is not a personal attack on yourself either, but I was just happy, and thought I would inject some hope into the faithful.

Floreat Pica,

Jim

I think we can go through the season undefeated.

Oh...! :oops:
Well I never said we would do that did I? ;)

There is controlled optimism. Upon reflection, the Crows looked brilliant today against the GWS, but that is the Giants though....

No need to take the mickey. There is each to their own hopes and dreams, and that is why this is called a public form :p

Being cheeky does not win you like points :rolleyes:

Well I never said we would do that did I? ;)

There is controlled optimism. Upon reflection, the Crows looked brilliant today against the GWS, but that is the Giants though....

No need to take the mickey. There is each to their own hopes and dreams, and that is why this is called a public form :p

Being cheeky does not win you like points :rolleyes:
Well I thought it was funny :(

I hate threads like this. As Dave (TD) said, one week at a time!

We're still a young and developing side that's bound to have some poor weeks of football but so far I've been very pleased with the way things have played out since our poor performance in round 1. Without a doubt there's a lot to be excited about with this squad but we've got to be aware that they're a young side bound to have some 'down' weeks so to speak.

As long as the effort is there every week and we see continual improvement from our players and coach as well I'll be very happy. Really looking forward to this week's game against Essendon just for now and that's all we should be focusing on as a club consisting of the players, coaches and of course the supporters. I must say the heart will be racing this Friday that's for sure!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back