Dees prevail over Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2001
On the Piste
Other Teams
Dees
http://demons.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=137833

Footyman & I were there, it was a very lacklustre game. Neither side were at full strength.

Holland started well with a nice snap goal, but his kicking for goal generally was poor.

Davey had a great 2nd qtr. He started off with a regulation crumbing goal & followed up by smothering & tackling in defence before taking a great mark & goaling all in the space of about 5 minutes. He was rested for most of the 2nd half.

Green was excellent on a wing in the first half & presented well in a pocket in the 2nd half. Probably BOG.

Bell got a run in the last qtr, he overran the ball first up & turned it over later on but he did set up Jolly's goal & finished up looking ok.

Hunter & McLean were excellent after HT after not seeing much ground time in the first half.

Rigoni & Broadbridge did ok in the 2nd half also.

Niether team got out of 2nd gear to be honest.

I was there (but didn't arrive until quarter time).

Can't say I noticed Green.

Travis was probably BOG in my opinion. Very promising signs.

Junior, Yze, Wheatley, Miller and Biz were all good.

Of the youngsters, Davey was outstanding. He will almost certainly play in Round 1.

McLean was very good in the second half. He was very hard at the pill and combined that with excellent disposal. His bump on Buckley in the last quarter was great. :)

Hunter was very surprising. He has bulked up a fair bit, and was throwing himself at every contest. He probably won't play against the Dawks in Rd 1, but Luke Williams must be shaking in his boots. ;)

Bell made the most of limited oppurtunities.

Played under sunny conditions at McHale Stadium, the Demons run out 16 point winners in todays final practice match before the start of the season in a fortnight.

From the opening bounce the Demons looked relatively sharp, the newfound tackling pressure evident from the opening bounce. New recruit Ben Holland put his first goal on the board for the club within the first five minutes, but after that the Demons failed to capitalise on having much of the play due to poor use of the footy going into the forward line and inaccurate kicking for goal. The Demons headed into quarter time with just a 2 point lead, thanks to a Russell Robertson goal after the siren. Jolly and Jamar were the ruck combination while Jeff White played at full forward.

As the game went on the rotations became more frequent, but it was mainly the younger players, such as Daniel Bell, Scott Thompson and Brock McLean who started the second term on the bench. Brad Green was playing on a wing, while Nathan Brown, Clint Bizzell, Nathan Carroll, Matt Whelan, Jared Rivers and Alistair Nicholson made up our defence. Aaron Davey scored the first goal of the quarter through crumbing, and followed up with another a short time after. The quarter belonged to Davey, whose two goals, plus numerous tackles/smothers and ground coverage was excellent.

A quick centre clearance resulted in a goal to Russell Robertson shortly after, giving the Demons a 21 point lead midway through the second term before the Pies pegged one back to go into the break 15 points behind the Dees.

After the half time break, Jeff White, Ben Holland, Brad Miller were the forward line talls, while Adem Yze, Russell Robertson and Scott Thompson were the smaller forwards. The corridor set up that was used in last weeks Wizard Cup was abandoned, in favour of a more traditional forward line structure. Miller added a goal within the first five minutes, but the highlight of the quarter was a hanger by Russell Robertson. A bad bounce from the umpire inside the Demons forward line resulted in an easy goal to Yze, while Travis Johnstone kicked the last of three Demons goals for the quarter.

Chris Lamb had his first run for the day at the 15 minute mark, while Davey and Whelan spent most of the quarter on the bench. Brad Green headed into the forward line, with Alistair Nicholson coming in off the edge of the square at centre bounces. Cameron Hunter also impressed during the second half, and made the most of his chances after not playing Wizard Cup matches. Top 5 draft pick Brock McLean, who turned 18 yesterday, was lining up on a wing and showed no fear of bigger bodied opponents. He would be a likely starter early in the season. Ben Holland was the Demons ruckman inside the forward 50 until taken off midway through the quarter, Darren Jolly headed into the forward line at that point. At ¾ time Melbourne lead by 28 points.

Simon Godfrey and James McDonald spent most of the game in the centre, and their hardness and willingness to put their head over the footy impressed.

Rocca had the better of the mullet man Nathan Carroll during the last quarter, but Carroll had held Josh Fraser and Chris Tarrant well during parts of the game.

A double 50m penalty saw Josh Fraser kick a goal from the goalsquare (you are an idiot umpire #16). The culprit Russell Robertson was booed off the ground by the Magpie Army shortly after. Daniel Bell was playing at full back, while up and coming defender Jared Rivers was on the bench, along with Adem Yze, Ben Holland and Alistair Nicholson.

Darren Jolly kicked the only Melbourne goal for the last quarter, Collingwood recording three to reduce the final margin to 16 points.

Both sides played a wide style of footy, and foot skills are still a bit rusty. Collingwood have some problems with the style of footy they are playing, it will be interesting to see if this changes by Round 1.

Oh, and if that woman in front of me who was showing a ton of bum crack reads this forum, please buy a belt or some pants with better elastic.

It’s tough to pick best players when the game is like that – lots of positional and interchange rotations, plus no stats…but I tried. I thought the kids McLean and Hunter deserve a mention so I put them in. Yze, Johnstone, Robertson and co could easily be put in there though.

Goals: Davey 2, Robertson 2, Holland, Miller, Jolly, Yze, Johnstone
Best: Green, Davey, Miller, J McDonald, McLean, Hunter

afl.com.au says Miller kicked 2 goals and Davey one - anyone confirm?

Originally posted by lamby29
I was there (but didn't arrive until quarter time).

Can't say I noticed Green.

Travis was probably BOG in my opinion. Very promising signs.

Junior, Yze, Wheatley, Miller and Biz were all good.

Of the youngsters, Davey was outstanding. He will almost certainly play in Round 1.

McLean was very good in the second half. He was very hard at the pill and combined that with excellent disposal. His bump on Buckley in the last quarter was great. :)

Hunter was very surprising. He has bulked up a fair bit, and was throwing himself at every contest. He probably won't play against the Dawks in Rd 1, but Luke Williams must be shaking in his boots. ;)

Bell made the most of limited oppurtunities.

I thought TJ's disposal was scrappy, he did kick a nice goal though.

Nobody played more than 3 qtrs so it's really hard to judge best players.

Bell, Rigoni & Broady were ok given their limited opportunity.

Davey, Hunter & McLean made the most of their ground time.

Originally posted by footyman

A double 50m penalty saw Josh Fraser kick a goal from the goalsquare (you are an idiot umpire #16). The culprit Russell Robertson was booed off the ground by the Magpie Army shortly after.

He gave 'em plenty back too, he was lovin it! The man loves a stage & the Pies social club made the perfect audience. He wasn't great I thought, apart from yet another speccy.

I think Robbo conceeded the Free Kick, but I'd say the 50's were against TJ.

I reckon Davey kicked 2, Miller's goal was right in front of us at the Sherrin Stand end.

Good stuff there Footyman :)

Here's my side for Round 1:

B. Matthew Whelan Ben Holland Clint Bizzell
HB. Daniel Ward Jared Rivers Paul Wheatley
C. Travis Johnstone Adem Yze Brad Green
HF. Cameron Bruce Brad Miller Russell Robertson
F. Aaron Davey David Neitz Brock McLean
R. Jeff White Scott Thompson Chris Heffernan

Int.
Darren Jolly
James McDonald
Simon Godfrey
Chris Lamb

Thoughts?

first thought : dont play lamb ;)
2nd thought: nathan brown will play!
3rd thought: need read as he is tough

B. Matthew Whelan Alatair Nicholson Clint Bizzell
HB. Daniel Ward BenHolland Jared Rivers
C. Travis Johnstone Chris Heffernan Brad Green
F. Aaron Davey David Neitz Jeff White
R. Darren Jolly Adem Yze Scott Thompson

Int.
Paul Wheatley
Phil Read
Simon Godfrey
Nathan Brown

Emerg:
James McDonald
Luke Williams
Brock McLean

Originally posted by still rocking
first thought : dont play lamb ;)
2nd thought: nathan brown will play!
3rd thought: need read as he is tough

B. Matthew Whelan Alatair Nicholson Clint Bizzell
HB. Daniel Ward BenHolland Jared Rivers
C. Travis Johnstone Chris Heffernan Brad Green
F. Aaron Davey David Neitz Jeff White
R. Darren Jolly Adem Yze Scott Thompson

Int.
Paul Wheatley
Phil Read
Simon Godfrey
Nathan Brown

Emerg:
James McDonald
Luke Williams
Brock McLean

Read is too slow for mine, he might just be rusty but let him hit top form at Sandy.

McDonald will play.

Originally posted by The Shev
Where's Vardy?

Perhaps he thinks that Davey has taken Vards place?

For mine that's jumping the gun, Vards is still class. Aaron is exciting but he doesn't walk into the team but there's room for both.

Whelan, Nicholson, Rivers
Ward, Holland, Bizzell
Yze, Godfrey, Green
Davey, Miller, Johnstone
Vardy, Neitz, White
Jolly, Bruce, Brown
Heffernan, Thompson, McLean, McDonald

Wheatley, Hunter, Jamar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back