Review Dees v Maggies: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

The very first bounce of the game set the tone for the first quarter. Cox went in really hard and physical and won the tap, Gawn just sooked to the umps. That's finals footy big boy, needed to lead better from the outset.
Cox as always had a clear plan. Gawn dominated eventually but damn that first quarter hurt.

Grundy would have done a better job than T Mac last night

Would have given Max more time forward and he would have clunked some

Grundy would have done a better job than T Mac last night

Would have given Max more time forward and he would have clunked some
Max is a shit forward which is why Grundy doesn't work in this side.

I'm split.

Woke up this morning frustrated and couldn't help but feel like we wasted a opportunity to win a premiership. Didn't play close to our best last night and yet dominated the stats (for whatever that's worth) to only loose by 7 points is incredibly frustrating.

On the other hand this is why you finish top four - to get another opportunity. Feels different to last year in that we were limping to the finish line. Feel as though our form isn't that bad so if we can get that front half to click we'll be able to knock off Carlton/Sydney. Then it's going interstate in a 'us against them' type scenario. Aware that is incredibly optimistic but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities.

But then also a possibility that the injuries to Petty & Melk (plus JVR out) have jsut cruelled us of any front half goal kicking threats and we'll get rolled by 40+ next week.

The very first bounce of the game set the tone for the first quarter. Cox went in really hard and physical and won the tap, Gawn just sooked to the umps. That's finals footy big boy, needed to lead better from the outset.

He was taking contested marks all night and would have taken a few if he had been resting forward
There's a difference between taking contested marks on a wing against one or two guys and taking them in the forwardline around a pack of 30 players.

We've seen enough of Gawn to know that he's best utilised further up the ground and behind the ball. Putting him in the forwardline takes away his best assets.

Kozzy attended 1 centre bounce.

On a night where we really could have done with Trac forward (harder with Gus out I know), Goody and co went back into their shells despite the things that worked late in the year and got us back into form.

I don't care who you are getting beaten up by Mason Cox is soft as f---, pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, we needed Koz in about 3 places last night.

If we didn't have him up forward in the 2nd Q the game could have slipped away very quickly.

So many ifs and buts about this game, that's the worst bit.

You nerds can come at me about this but I don't give a ****, 12 hours on and even if we'd won that game id still be pissed off. That was one of the least enjoyable games I've watched in my life, at no point for the 3 hours of the game did we play good footy, it was dog shit boring attrition footy. Even if we'd won I wouldn't have enjoyed the win, I could give a **** what we do anymore this year. Playing that footy for the 'sake of winning' completely kills my enjoyment of the sport.
I'd rather us be a 11-12 side missing finals if we played the way we did against Sydney in RD3 and Richmond later in the year than a 70 inside 50 side for 9 goals team.

**** the coaching group, that was 92k crowd in one of the biggest atmospheres ever and not one iota of the game was enjoyable to watch

Kozzy attended 1 centre bounce.

On a night where we really could have done with Trac forward (harder with Gus out I know), Goody and co went back into their shells despite the things that worked late in the year and got us back into form.
Yep. His reluctance to try anything different is mindboggling. Panicked when Gus went down. We don't need Viney, Oliver,Trac at stoppages. Keep Trac forward FFS. Our issues were clearly in the front half so try something different. Trac permanently forward was the obvious choice. I don't get it

Gotta say, I'm really disappointed in Viney's game last night too. Has had an absolute cracker of a year, and I liked how he flew the flag for Brayshaw, but after all the talk of being a 'finals player', he had zero clearances and one tackle for the entire game. Lowest DE% of any player that wasn't a forward, too.

Not alone obviously, but that's a big let-down from a leader.

To be honest, we needed Koz in about 3 places last night.

If we didn't have him up forward in the 2nd Q the game could have slipped away very quickly.

So many ifs and buts about this game, that's the worst bit.
Kozs 'almost' efforts have gone from exciting to frustrating. The bloke right now is a walking "what if?"

Gotta say, I'm really disappointed in Viney's game last night too. Has had an absolute cracker of a year, and I liked how he flew the flag for Brayshaw, but after all the talk of being a 'finals player', he had zero clearances and one tackle for the entire game. Lowest DE% of any player that wasn't a forward, too.

I refuse to believe he was healthy, either physically or mentally. You have to actively try to avoid body contact as an inside mid to only get 1x tackle in a wet final.

Just another reason why not moving Trac forward was baffling IMO. Viney lifted when Oliver was out, why not keep that in mind and mix it up.

Watching our midfielders, as game and as tough as they are, makes me appreciate past players like Sam Mitchell, Diesel Williams, Trent Cotchin, Simon Black and the like so much more. Those kind of midfielders who weren’t one gear, bull-at-a-gate, straight line, who had the capacity to play at different tempos, had superior peripheral vision, could split open play with a perfectly weight kick or angled handball. Cerebral footballers, high footy IQ champions.

We have a few too many guys who seem like wonderful fellas but who aren’t very bright with the way they go about it a lot of the time. Fast and furious crash bangers and dump kickers. Lower your f….ken eyes for f….k sake!!

Sam Mitchell looking back was an absolute genius of a footballer. Diesel. Wow. Prime Scott Pendlebury. Composure, vision and execution under pressure. Deft sideways and backwards steps to open play. Next level.

Last edited:
You nerds can come at me about this but I don't give a *, 12 hours on and even if we'd won that game id still be pissed off. That was one of the least enjoyable games I've watched in my life, at no point for the 3 hours of the game did we play good footy, it was dog s**t boring attrition footy. Even if we'd won I wouldn't have enjoyed the win, I could give a * what we do anymore this year. Playing that footy for the 'sake of winning' completely kills my enjoyment of the sport.
I'd rather us be a 11-12 side missing finals if we played the way we did against Sydney in RD3 and Richmond later in the year than a 70 inside 50 side for 9 goals team.

* the coaching group, that was 92k crowd in one of the biggest atmospheres ever and not one iota of the game was enjoyable to watch
There's a part of me that wouldn't mind seeing our backline falling to shit just to force us to play more attacking footy like in 2018 when we had Omac and Frost back there. Knew we were going to get exposed out the back anyway so put our efforts into kicking big scores. I reckon I could rewatch and enjoy 90% of our wins from that year. There might be three games I'd rewatch this year.

After watching that game, extending Goodwin's contract is even more baffling!

T-Mac is done. He was a great player on his day, but I hope the list managers have seen enough to stamp his papers and send him to the knackery.

May and Lever are at their best when we play with a third KPD. The continuously got sucked into the contest up the ground allowing Pies to score transition goals over the back.

Tomo would have made sense last night. Didn't he play his best game of the year on King's Birthday? Instead we had T-Mac lumbering around the forward 50. He is too slow to make it to a marking contest these days.

There's a part of me that wouldn't mind seeing our backline falling to s**t just to force us to play more attacking footy like in 2018 when we had Omac and Frost back there. Knew we were going to get exposed out the back anyway so put our efforts into kicking big scores. I reckon I could rewatch and enjoy 90% of our wins from that year. There might be three games I'd rewatch this year.

Would you enjoy the 2018 prelim again though? That’s where your sh1tty backline comes unstuck.

No surprise to me we have played significantly worse football since Oliver has come back in, like I said when he came back, the midfield mix was working well and he could actually harm us. He'll always get his stats but we play a more balanced game without him.

Goody seems to coach better without the big names, defining specific roles for each player rather than giving the big names free reign to do what they like, more often than not when we have our big name midfield out there we get games exactly like what we saw again last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back