Did Carlton made the right decision choosing Voss over Ross?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s the glass half full / half empty view that you can have with Lyon.
You could say ultimately he’s failed as he’s had two massive cracks at the big one and didn’t achieve that at either club.
After finishing at either both lists were left pretty much bottom 4 calibre.
Both departures would be described as ugly.
You can’t on one hand say he’s a control freak that culls anybody whom isn’t on his page and on the other blame others for list deficiencies they may or may not have had.

Can he coach, most definitely
Has he achieved success, that’s debatable
Has he left either club better for being there? Hmmmm…..
Has he achieved success? Well he has led high performing teams. Multiple grand finals, The Streak DVD and multiple All Australian players in his time show that he gets results.

There is an element of bad luck in his grand final losses. The difference between him and Paul Roos (who is lauded as one of the greats and gurus) is a bit of luck imo.

The whole culture at St Kilda or even the afl at that point in time was different, can’t compare then to now, I know it’s only like 10-15 years ago but it’s really changed so much since then

People have to remember the defensive style that comes with having Ross as your HC was probably leant on more last year due to the lack of cattle we had out on the park, we had so many key injuries last year
We’ve added pace and gained plenty back this season so although the game style will still come off the back of a strong defensive emphasis, I think you’ll see us play a lot faster in transition.

I can’t imagine how good weitering would be under Ross, I’m a huge weitering fan I think he’s a star but he’s lacked help all throughout his career, in that defensive structure he’d thrive, just look at Wilkie and how he patrols our backline.

Weitering is one of the top few FB in the game already. He doesn’t need 22 of his teammates to play negative footy for him to thrive.

Has he achieved success? Well he has led high performing teams. Multiple grand finals, The Streak DVD and multiple All Australian players in his time show that he gets results.

There is an element of bad luck in his grand final losses. The difference between him and Paul Roos (who is lauded as one of the greats and gurus) is a bit of luck imo.
Agreed, Lyon is a successful coach

Two very good GFs from struggling St Kilda plus the miracle of getting Freo to a GF, he's got plenty of runs on the board

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Weitering is one of the top few FB in the game already. He doesn’t need 22 of his teammates to play negative footy for him to thrive.
And I’d be extremely offended by that comment if Wilkie hadn’t already established himself as one of the premier defenders a year prior to Ross getting to us, making your statement factually incorrect :)

Shame most Saints fans who were there for the maiden flag are getting close to that age where dementia starts setting in.

Soon there will be no fans that can remember one left!
Brother Carlton aren’t far behind, half the fans that trout off about 16 flags probably weren’t even alive for your last one, remind me of Dallas Cowboy Fans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I'd be more bullish about Carlton's flag chances if they had Lyon as coach rather than Voss. Voss doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the shed to be honest.
It's poor logic to think that because Lyon is 0-3 in grand finals to date it means his future prospects of winning one are somehow diminished.
He made an immediate impact at the Saints in year one. Man's still got it.

Personally I'd be more bullish about Carlton's flag chances if they had Lyon as coach rather than Voss. Voss doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the shed to be honest.
It's poor logic to think that because Lyon is 0-3 in grand finals to date it means his future prospects of winning one are somehow diminished.
He made an immediate impact at the Saints in year one. Man's still got it.
It's poor logic to think that Voss isn't so sharp. How you can make that call ?
At least he won't jump ship when the going gets tough. Ross Lyon has form when this occurs

February is a Carlton supporter's favourite time of the year, full of hope, anticipation and expectation.

I can't wait till May, when reality sets in...
You've got one very powerful crystal ball. Please give everyone the lotto numbers for Saturday based on your probability charts, and then try and tell us why my ticket did not win any prizes....

It's poor logic to think that Voss isn't so sharp. How you can make that call ?
At least he won't jump ship when the going gets tough. Ross Lyon has form when this occurs
I didn't claim it to be logic. It's just a personal judgement based on his speaking abilities. He could well have a good IQ. Just doesn't come across to me at all though.

Nah I reckon Voss is better.

Lyon is too defensive and it doesn’t hold up in todays game.

Defence is important but all the recent premiers took the game on and had great offence. Attacking defenders are so important in todays game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back