Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

11951776_10156015436150383_5323021330771105762_n.jpg
On that note. This was on the front page of the daily mail today

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441537811.547150.jpg

I have to agree. Much of it blocks you up more than the fibre benefits you.

Some fibre just irritates your bowel and doesn't really help things move.

There's so much misinformation out there due to so many competing interests in the food industry.

Alright so at the moment for whatever reason I just CAN NOT stick to an eating plan. As such my "diet" has been all over the place for the past week and a half but my lifting has been absolutely A+ so I've just decided to go with it. About the only thing my current meal plan has in common with the same time last year is a morning bullet proof coffee and Intermittent Fasting, currently eating around 3500 cals per day and IDGAF about smashing carbs.

I'm not going to lie my rig is no where near as polished as it was this time last year but I'm really enjoying a "bulking" diet and just lifting heavy ass weights.

Winter sucks and we had a bad run of it in July/August. Keeping your calories up without stressing can be beneficial when it's cold and you're burning lots of energy just to stay warm just don't want to let bad habits creep into your diet for good.

British summer = Adelaide winter temperature wise though.

Fair enough. I don't know how I'd deal with all year round cold.

I keep trying to tell myself Gold Coast is a warm place but after living in Darwin for 25 years it's just not the same and winter really bites.

I like it here but I don't think I'll want to settle here.

Fair enough. I don't know how I'd deal with all year round cold.

I keep trying to tell myself Gold Coast is a warm place but after living in Darwin for 25 years it's just not the same and winter really bites.

I like it here but I don't think I'll want to settle here.
It's not the weather or the cold that's messing with my appetite I don't think. I'm walking an average of 12km a day compared to just 5 when I was back home. This is due to the public transport commute instead of just driving everywhere. Combined with training my appetite has gone bananas and I'm just really struggling to keep the large volumes of food healthy. Don't get me wrong I still look alright, just not as good as last year.

Hey guys I've just recently starting combining running with weight sessions, how should I go about it? I don't want to necessarily bulk up but I want to get strong put on a little bit of size and get fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys I've just recently starting combining running with weight sessions, how should I go about it? I don't want to necessarily bulk up but I want to get strong put on a little bit of size and get fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just do a beginners program. Starting strength is great if you've never lifted. Any 5x5 is good.

Nutrition you just need to eat at caloric surplus. So work out your maintenance, and add 5-10% then after a week or so adjust based on weight (+ a bit more to it than that).

You after some links? Prob easier to link you than explain.

Last edited:
I've hit a wall with my lifts..need to reassess after deload. Wondering if its time to do a bulk..been putting it off for awhile LOL
What's your diet and program like? What's your weight/height?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"He’s uncovered research showing stone tool evidence of instruments used to grind seeds and grains from 30,000 years ago"

True, BUT it has never, not once been proven it was a staple in any tribe or cultures diet. Those grains and seeds were consumed as a slurry as an absolute last resort when food was scarce. Its a silly argument.

The other is this bulldust about fiber. Grains are actually a poor source of fiber compared to a plant based diet as they provide more fiber per gram AND at the same time full of vitamins and minerals. Grains apart from fiber are usually ok for iron, magnesium and B6.

Sources of soluble fiber: apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, blueberries, cucumbers, celery, and carrots. psyllium, flaxseeds,

Sources of insoluble fiber: nuts, couscous, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins.

The RDI for adults is around 25 grams of fiber per day for women, and men need 38 grams per day. The chart below shows a plant based diet like Paleo you can easily meet your daily requirements.

11891187_470536566457543_5003824225288654574_n.jpg

The people who take it to far are the anti-crowd and those who profit from the term "paleo" when marketing packaged foods.

Apart from the usual hardcore nutters their wouldn't be any Paleo/Primal followers from Cordain, Rob Wolf, Mark Sisson, celebrity chefs down who honestly think the current paleo/Primal diet template is what the caveman ate. The anti-crowd like Judd and the rest are making fools out of themselves when thay say things like Grok never had a microwave or ate zucchini lasagna or cauliflower rice.

This was taken from a FB page by someone who has been Paleo for over 15 years and its spot on.

"We aren’t trying to be cavemen. Sure, paleo takes its cues from our ancestors but these cues are coupled with what we know from today’s nutritional research as a way of effectively taking control of your own health.”

Claim: The Paleo diet is a myth because it's impossible to eat the same foods eaten by our ancient ancestors-- they no longer exist.
Truth: Paleo devotees don't think we are eating actual Paleolithic foods. "Paleo" is a metaphor for a whole food template that attempts to closely approximate the nutrient-composition of the diets of our ancient ancestors. Based on availability and technology, we have a pretty good idea of what those ancestors did NOT eat. And though we don't claim to know exactly what they DID eat, we can get a good idea by studying contemporary hunter-gatherer cultures, the diets of whom do not include grains, legumes or dairy. In addition, analyzing fossilized flora, fauna and human coprolites (fossilized poop)-- and carbon and nitrogen stable isotope samples collected from early human skeletons add more nutrient data to the big picture.

Claim: There is evidence that early humans ate grains and starches so the Paleo diet is based on a lie.
Truth: Early man probably ate anything he could get his hands on, including some grains. The important consideration is how much he ate and how often he ate it. The Optimal Foraging Theory suggests that without the proper tools for collecting and processing the much smaller, wild grains, that the consumption of grain cost early man more energy than the grains themselves provided, suggesting they were only eaten when nothing else was available. That some early ancient people ate some very starchy foods like tubers and tiger-nuts is not in refute-- and their variable consumption is supported by the differing numbers of amylase gene copies found in different individuals.

Claim: Paleo is necessarily an all-meat or a high meat diet.
Truth: Paleo is a whole food template that eliminates or mostly restricts foods not commonly eaten by our Paleolithic ancestors (grains, legumes and dairy). It also promotes the copious consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits along with some tubers nuts and seeds. Certain people may benefit from removing all nightshades (tomatoes, white potatoes, bell peppers and eggplant) initially.

Claim: Paleo promotes highly processed and conventional meat.
Truth: The meats promoted are not highly processed meats, rather, natural animal protein such as free-range grass fed beef that has a different protein and fatty acid composition when compared to grain-fed, dormant cattle, and nose to tail consumption (ie: organs/offal) is encouraged.

Claim: Paleo is elitist and too expensive for many people to eat
Truth: You don't need to eat grass-fed rib-eyes and baby spinach to eat within a Paleo template. The focus is on whole, local foods with an emphasis on naturally raised. If rib-eye is out of your price range, ground chuck is fine too. If grass-fed is too pricey, going for hormone and antibiotic-free animal foods is a good compromise. Buying local costs less and if you can't afford to go all organic, try keeping just the 'dirty dozen' organic (apples, peaches, nectarines, strawberries, grapes, celery, spinach, sweet bell peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, imported snap-peas and potatoes). And if you can't afford organic at all, conventional produce is still a better option than organic grains. Grains may be cheap and filling, but they are nutrient-deficient and contain less nutrition per calorie than fresh produce. Many report that they spontaneously eat less on a Paleo template, likely because the more nutritious foods are more satiating and blood-sugar fluctuations tends to level out.

Claim: Cutting out entire foods groups leads to nutrient deficiencies.
Truth: Eliminating the above foods does NOT lead to ANY nutrient deficiencies, and in fact, incorporation of these non Paleo foods into contemporary diets is now known to reduce the nutrient density (vitamins and minerals of the 13 nutrients most lacking) in contemporary diets. Several food groups (seafood, sea vegetables, fungi and insects) are highly nutritious food groups NOT eaten by many people, but rarely will you find a dietitian or nutrition organization scolding you for cutting out crickets and mushrooms.

Claim: Paleo is low-carb.
Truth: It can be. It can also be high carb, high fat, high protein and any ratio thereof. Paleo is macro-neutral (or "agnostic" as Robb Wolf likes to say). Paleo is a template that any macro-ratio can fit into. If you're an athlete and you need more carbohydrate, ripe fruit and starchy tubers are perfectly Paleo. If you're trying to lose weight or you have some metabolic derangement like diabetes or insulin resistance-- berries, nuts and fibrous veggies are also perfectly Paleo.

Claim: Paleo is too strict and leads to fear of eating, guilt and self-loathing.
Truth:
Most people manage about an 80:20 "compliance" of the Paleo way of eating. When starting out, strict Paleo can make for an excellent elimination diet. Give it 30 days or so, see how you feel, and make adjustments from there. There is plenty of room for gray-area foods like white rice and dairy (and even processed treats) when you're eating nutrient-dense, whole food 80% of the time. Paleo also often solves issues of satiety and food cravings that may be at the root of many eating disorders, and many credit the Paleo template for correcting their disordered eating or for being a valuable tool used in conjunction with other therapies.

Claim:
Early humans had short life spans so attempting to mimic their diets is foolish
Truth: Life expectancy is all about statistics. High infant mortality rates and deaths from warring and simple accidents significantly lower the AVERAGE. When lifespans of modern hunter-gatherers are analyzed and accidental deaths removed, they average the same lifespans (70-80 years) that we do. The difference is that they have few to no diseases of modern lifestyle, ie: cardiovascular or metabolic disease, or cancer.

Claim: Paleo has no science backing it.
Truth:
Paleo has a significant volume of scientific backing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back