Do Richmond have a chance to contend next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think so. For me there's just not enough players in that list that are going to get the job done in a high pressure final.

Massive question marks on guys like Grigg, Houli, Newman, Conca and Vickery.

Too many good/okay players, not enough great players.

To be fair, most said WCE had the worst midfield in the comp, we were tipped in some for bottom four, perhaps a spoon.. an off-season is a long time, Tiges have quality mids, great bookends, and some quality depth. Definitely a threat and honestly believe they will push quite far in Sept..I say Sept on purpose though!

I will be doing certain team previews in the coming weeks, do the big footy faithful agree with this?

To answer your last question: no. Enjoy this season, there's a fair way to go yet and your team is travelling well.
Too much can change between now and 2016 to worry about previewing next season at this point in time.

Last edited:
We have a pretty solid core group at the moment. A few blanks need to be filled in, but the skeleton is getting there:

B: Grimes, Rance, Batchelor
HB: Houli, (Chaplin, Astbury, Elton), Vlastuin
C: B. Ellis, Miles, Grigg
HF: Deledio, (Vickery, Griffiths, McBean), Martin
F: ________, Riewoldt, Lennon
R: ________, Cotchin, Edwards
IC: C. Ellis, (Conca, Drummond, Lambert, McDonough, Knights, Arnot, Butler)

Those are the positions I feel are locked in for 2016. Based on that, I think we need to find some key defender depth, a ruckman, creative small forward, and midfield depth.

I like Dimma but his record would be sackable at most other clubs.

The Tiges are perennial pretenders. The club needs a clean up from admin, to coaching staff, to recruiters, to whoever designed their new clubrooms.
You must be taking the piss here.

Yeah, sack a coach who has taken your club from the worst list in the league and wooden spoon favourite to 2 finals in a row and possibly 3.....

The admin has taken the club from near bankruptcy to no debt, 70K+ members and close to the most attended club in the league.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. You cannot be serious!!!!!!!

I don't care about A grade/B grade arguments because everyone has a different idea of what an "A grader" actually is.

Edwards is a quality player though and seriously underrated. His creativeness and speed around contests are unrivalled at Richmond.

To be honest I think he's the type who is underrated to the point where he has now become overrated, ala Nick Smith or Corey Enright. But, I agree with you that he's a quality player, and that A grade/B grade arguments are overly semantic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a pretty solid core group at the moment. A few blanks need to be filled in, but the skeleton is getting there:

Those are the positions I feel are locked in for 2016. Based on that, I think we need to find some key defender depth, a ruckman, creative small forward, and midfield depth.

Houli, grigg and bachelor are locks?

What If they get Dangerfield?

Before I even start, the tigers are no chance of winning a flag this year. It's simply not going to happen for us, we ruined that chance earlier in the year when we dropped 3 very winnable games to the dees, cats, dogs.

But Do Richmond have a chance to contend in 2016? Let's have a look at our best 22 without trades and FA if we are injury free.

FB: Vlastuin, Rance, Batchelor

CHB: Grimes, Chaplin, Houli

C: B.Ellis, Martin, McIntosh

HFF: Edwards, Reiwoldt, Deledio

FF: Lennon, Vickery, Griffiths

F: Maric, Cotchin, Miles

Int: C.Ellis, Newman, Conca , Grigg

Now the strongest part of this richmond team is the midfield, the likes of Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Miles, Edwards, Ellis all pushing through there in stages, and are now developing depth through there with Vlastuin, Corey Ellis, Conca and Grigg playing there.

Every other area is pretty good as well, which IMO holds us in good stead to challenge next year.

Let's evaluate the list by A graders and down

A graders:
Deledio
Cotchin
Rance
Reiwoldt
Martin
Edwards

B+ graders:
Maric
Miles
Ellis

B graders:
Vlastuin
Grimes
Chaplin
Newman
Houli

Young players who could turn into A or B graders are Lennon, Ellis, Conca, Griffiths

I will be doing certain team previews in the coming weeks, do the big footy faithful agree with this?
I think Houli is an A grader, he has been good for my team in my SuperCoach team this year :)

But to answer your question – no way. The Hawks, even if everyone from Hodge to Mitchell et al retire, are still going to be better than you. Sydney won't have many retirements and will steal some draft pick/trade and be better than you. Freo, even with Pav, Lukey, and maybe Sandi gone, are still better than you. Port will be better than you.

For as long as you're playing Houli, relying on a Dusty Martin who could be a Brownlow Medallist if he actually gave effort/Trent Cotchin who goes missing/Delidio who seems to be a media magnet despite barely doing anything, as well as letting poor old Jack Riewoldt be a one man forward, you will be nothing.

I like Dimma but his record would be sackable at most other clubs.

The admin seems pretty happy to do not much.

The fans are happy with losing a final.

Cotchin loses a game and his interviews as captain are, no s**t, made up of a hundred shoulder shrugs, "I dunno, we just didn't get the win"s, and aw shucks expressions.

The Tiges are perennial pretenders. The club needs a clean up from admin, to coaching staff, to recruiters, to whoever designed their new clubrooms.

Why would anyone listen to this?

Don't know where your team stands if Richmond are no chance to contend, your team can't get passed Richmond without luck. We can continue to build with our young list, you guys are done after this year, and let's be honest, you've got no chance this year. Hawthorn and West Coast far too good.

Before I even start, the tigers are no chance of winning a flag this year. It's simply not going to happen for us, we ruined that chance earlier in the year when we dropped 3 very winnable games to the dees, cats, dogs.

But Do Richmond have a chance to contend in 2016? Let's have a look at our best 22 without trades and FA if we are injury free.

FB: Vlastuin, Rance, Batchelor

CHB: Grimes, Chaplin, Houli

C: B.Ellis, Martin, McIntosh

HFF: Edwards, Reiwoldt, Deledio

FF: Lennon, Vickery, Griffiths

F: Maric, Cotchin, Miles

Int: C.Ellis, Newman, Conca , Grigg
Newman is shot, so take him out.

But 5 key issues:

1. Ruck. Maric struggles against the best ie. the 2 from WA
2. No crumbing forward. Edwards, Martin and Cotchin can go through there but really you need a crumber
3. Midfield depth. Unless C Ellis and McIntosh come on really well I think it's 1-2 short. Preferably 1 inside but most importantly 1 outside line breaker to flip the pressure back on top teams to get the ball in quickly.
4. Half back skill - see one Mr Bachar Houli
5. Second key defender

Very few premiership teams are perfect and maybe only Hawthorn are anywhere close this year. But if the Tigers don't at least patch some of those gaps in the off season I think they will struggle. A small forward and midfield depth would be my 2 most important.

The Tigers A graders are now doing it consistently against the best. The B Graders are finding consistency and belief. But got to have depth to win those crucial games to finish top 4 and go in to finals with confidence.

Should've read this before I posted. Spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back