Do the Lions have the best midfield in the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Rockliff38

All Australian
Aug 16, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm probably biased, but I think they now boast the best and deepest midfield of any team in the comp.
Would like to know what opposition supporters think of the Lions midfield and how it stacks up against Geelong/Freo/Hawthorn/Sydney etc.

D.Beams (24), Rockliff (24), Rich (24), Christensen (23), Hanley (25), Zorko (25), Redden (23), Aish (18)
C. Beams (23), Mayes (20), Taylor (19), Robinson (25)

I think this midfield will be a powerhouse for a long time if it stays together.

Last edited:
I'm probably biased, but I think they now boast the best and deepest midfield of any team in the comp.
Would like to know what opposition supporters think of the Lions midfield and how it stacks up against Geelong/Freo/Hawthorn/Sydney etc.

D.Beams (24), Rockliff (24), Rich (24), Christensen (23), Hanley (25), Zorko (25), Redden (23), Aish (18)
C. Beams (23), Mayes (20), Taylor (19)

I think this midfield will be a powerhouse for a long time if it stays together.

Absolutely incredible. The clearance battle between you guys and the Suns is going to be awesome in 3 years.

Bats very deep, Can't call it the best until we see it in action but they're not struggling in that area that's for damn sure.

Need to fast track their KPP.

Very good midfield but not much up front or down back. Win all the clearances in the world, that doesn't mean you'll kick a winning score.

F

C. Beams (23), Mayes (20), Taylor (19)

Forget any comparison with Geelong. Our depth is shallow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rockliff, Beams and Rich as a starting midfield is a good as there is, I'd say. Leuenberger and Martin are pretty handy rucks as well. Also bats deep and you have some good outside runners.

The problem, as others have suggested, is that you will get crucified at either end of the ground. I can see you guys playing us and getting first use out of the centre quite often but then turning it over when you try to go inside 50 and then getting carved up on the rebound by our half-backs and wingers. Our forwards will also beat your defence pretty handily, I'd think.

But as to the topic, yes you have a seriously good midfield if they are all on the park with an outstanding age-profile. The trick will be to get the KPPs to complete the team into place inside the next 6 years or so.

images

Pretty solid midfield considering Brisbane were a rabble a couple years ago

Can only determine if they are the best at the end of next year. Names on paper don't mean s**t

The Lions are still improving aswell though, their oldest mid is 25 years old. Not one of them has hit their physical peak yet you'd think.

Yeah the thing is Omeara Bennel Martin are going to be almost top the three in the AFL when they mature.

As exciting as GC and GWS I think. Beams and Rockliff are All Australian quality. Hanley, Christensen, Zorko and Rich are excellent tier two support for them. A spattering of good potential underneath. No doubt there will be some tight trousered Brisbane fans browsing this thread.

Incredible depth, just needs a bit of x factor in the main rotation. Hopefully for the Lions one of the young guns can provide that. Rockliff, Beams, Rich etc. are excellent players but a bit one paced. Zorko and Hanley offer pace and run but split their time between the middle and forward/defence.

Brisbane fans also need to be wary of falling into the trap of including forwards and defenders when talking up their midfield depth. Versatility is great, but I think if there was a 'post your best back/forward 6' thread one or two of the names above would find their way into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back