Do we have a game plan? Jury out!

Remove this Banner Ad

You could be sleep-typing, but it's definitely February.

I've often wondered this: It's been specifically outlawed in a number of other sports (like NFL) apparently, though I've never looked for it. Given our shepherding rule, I'd love to see someone try it.

Used in rugby in the 1970s, especially by Woodville.

use-your-weapon-writing-2803888-464-106.jpg

I'd be interested to know how much of what we see is the game plan and how much of it is just the players reacting to what happens and the play unfolding?

How structured is it?

Defensively very much so. At stop ball situations very much so. Ball in play?

Throw together a bunch of players for a state of origin game and they will play with some semblance of system after two training sessions.

I'd be interested to know how much of what we see is the game plan and how much of it is just the players reacting to what happens and the play unfolding?

How structured is it
?

Defensively very much so. At stop ball situations very much so. Ball in play?

Throw together a bunch of players for a state of origin game and they will play with some semblance of system after two training sessions.

Yeah me too. I keep thinking about that task when they recruited walshy of on the fly calling of adjustments for a game. I've watched that kangaroos game about 4 times trying to pick things you could notice by watching it on TV. I'm stuffed if I can see a lot of what you'd do in game. There are things you can say you'd set up for the whole season, like the tendency to pass off in the forward line, just to be a bit more confident about what to take risks to go for and what not to. Perhaps some movement away from defence, kick ins especially, but as for specifically what you'd do in game to make a difference I can't see anything obvious. Maybe only going a bit more defensive with numbers when we got a lead, that would be about my only suggestion.

I try to listen carefully to ex coaches and ex players and try and read between the lines to get stuff out of it. One thing I've heard other taggers talk about is, for instance, trying to push gun players in under the center contests but I have never heard any of our mids talk about doing stuff like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah me too. I keep thinking about that task when they recruited walshy of on the fly calling of adjustments for a game. I've watched that kangaroos game about 4 times trying to pick things you could notice by watching it on TV.

You were watching the wrong game. Apparently it was the one against Richmond that they used in the interviews.

Yeah me too. I keep thinking about that task when they recruited walshy of on the fly calling of adjustments for a game. I've watched that kangaroos game about 4 times trying to pick things you could notice by watching it on TV. I'm stuffed if I can see a lot of what you'd do in game. There are things you can say you'd set up for the whole season, like the tendency to pass off in the forward line, just to be a bit more confident about what to take risks to go for and what not to. Perhaps some movement away from defence, kick ins especially, but as for specifically what you'd do in game to make a difference I can't see anything obvious. Maybe only going a bit more defensive with numbers when we got a lead, that would be about my only suggestion.

I try to listen carefully to ex coaches and ex players and try and read between the lines to get stuff out of it. One thing I've heard other taggers talk about is, for instance, trying to push gun players in under the center contests but I have never heard any of our mids talk about doing stuff like that.
If I remember correctly he was asked about this in one of the pre-season Q&A videos and said it wasn't any major things, but just a bunch of little things he noticed through the quarter.

Trading Hampton & Seedsman in
Drafting Milera
Cameron pushing up into midfield

Whatever our plan is, I think it's fair to assume that speed and run & carry is going to play a large part.

You were watching the wrong game. Apparently it was the one against Richmond that they used in the interviews.

Oops, well, it wasn't I watched the wrong game as I've watched that richmond one 3 or 4 times as well, just havent had the focus like I'm pretending to be walshy. Might try it soon. Both of those games were bad losses. Went from in finals to out of finals by two losses to mediocre teams when we had the game in control late (but not late enough!)

If I remember correctly he was asked about this in one of the pre-season Q&A videos and said it wasn't any major things, but just a bunch of little things he noticed through the quarter.

O well, then I have to say great minds think alike! :p:D

Trading Hampton & Seedsman in
Drafting Milera
Cameron pushing up into midfield

Whatever our plan is, I think it's fair to assume that speed and run & carry is going to play a large part.
As long as we don't turn into a one-dimensional Port. Kern's miraculous game plan didn't last. However, I'm confident that won't happen after hearing Pykey's comments about being flexible.

Oops, well, it wasn't I watched the wrong game as I've watched that richmond one 3 or 4 times as well, just havent had the focus like I'm pretending to be walshy. Might try it soon. Both of those games were bad losses. Went from in finals to out of finals by two losses to mediocre teams when we had the game in control late (but not late enough!)

Most of us thought it was the North game in Tasmania as well, but according to an interview Caroline Wilson did last year we were wrong. I can't remember much of the Richmond game but I assume it was the one where Deledio was allowed to run free without an opponent.

Most of us thought it was the North game in Tasmania as well, but according to an interview Caroline Wilson did last year we were wrong. I can't remember much of the Richmond game but I assume it was the one where Deledio was allowed to run free without an opponent.
Nah it wasn't that one it was the one at Adelaide Oval in late 2014. Apparently it was the third quarter. From memory Richmond kicked about 1.9 in that quarter and we barely crossed halfway. I reckon it's also the quarter where Rory Sloane got an absolute bullshit score review that somehow came to the conclusion that he hit the post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back