Do we need another AFL Club or are there too many as it is?

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I know yes, if we did it would not be for concession but for development at grass roots level. Could you please direct me to the "report" I'd like to look at that

Extract from 2016 financials available on the club web site:
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL ...013 - Club Promos/161205_2016annualreport.pdf

Collingwood Football Club Limited
Notes to the Consolidated Financial Statements
For the year ended 31 October 2016

2016 2015

3 Revenue and other income
AFL distribution 8,888,484 8,590,848

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Collingwood/Club Promos/2013 - Club Promos/161205_2016annualreport.pdf

2016 2015

Simply amazing the sheer ignorance of a lot of people as to how AFL is funded. How could you not know the AFL raises revenue and distributes it to all clubs.
Or maybe bieng a Pies supporter he thinks it is the annual tribute just for being the Pies.

As far as I know yes, if we did it would not be for concession but for development at grass roots level. Could you please direct me to the "report" I'd like to look at that

It doesn't take much to see that every club receives a chunk of AFL funding. Some more than others.
Its obvious that clubs in New territory need help to develop. The fact that despite 100years of playing at the home of the game, so many clubs are dependent on AFL handouts. Thats a worry.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Collingwood/Club Promos/2013 - Club Promos/161205_2016annualreport.pdf

2016 2015

Probably fair to net out collingwoods $1.4million tax/equalisation payment.....but its true that when people complain about "handouts" to expansion clubs they always seem to overlook that all clubs get a distribution from the afl.

St kilda for instance gets far closer to GWS than it does to collingwood's distribution

Probably fair to net out collingwoods $1.4million tax/equalisation payment.....but its true that when people complain about "handouts" to expansion clubs they always seem to overlook that all clubs get a distribution from the afl.

St kilda for instance gets far closer to GWS than it does to collingwood's distribution

Thats the problem with 10 clubs in one area. They cant all be sustainable without massive support. Some have had a century to develop their position & haven't. The bigger clubs take the majority of support. Success for some can only be achieved by AFL welfare.

Can't speak for all clubs but I know Collingwood do not receive concessions or any funding for that matter from the league, I'm only guessing here but pretty sure the same would go for Hawks, bombers, tigs, dogs, north and maybe others. For WA & SA as far as I know they don't receive any funding either for concession purposes at least if there is funding it would be for grass roots development arms of those clubs. We all know that GC and GWS receive concessions and an enviable draft situation. There is an analogy that sums up the comp at the moment that I've read recently

The AFL is like the V8 supercars except that GWS & GC have F1 cars, GC crashed theirs
All the Friday nights and marquee matches are a form of assistance. You get handed prime timeslots that help sell your club, while others get relegated to obscurity and crowd-depleting Sunday twilight.

Quite some time back now the financial impact of granting the big clubs the best timeslots was deemed to be worth more than any difference of the pure dollar assistance. That may or may not be true now, but its jard to see it changing a real lot. It also has a longer term impact. Kids are going to follow teams they can see 20 times a year over ones they can see 7-8 times.

Ahh
Thats the problem with 10 clubs in one area. They cant all be sustainable without massive support. Some have had a century to develop their position & haven't. The bigger clubs take the majority of support. Success for some can only be achieved by AFL welfare.

Ahhh, madmug. I see you are still dead set on the creation of a Tasmanian team in the throat blood of a 150 odd year old Melbourne club

All afl clubs exist within an equalised league which includes financial equalisation. Even GWS's distribution represents less than 1/18th of the afl's new rights deal.

In spite of my post aimed at a particular post, I get the larger clubs like Collingwood contribute more than their share financially, but you do benefit in scheduling.
What pisses me off is when a Bulldogs supporter , as happened recently, claims worh a straight face that we are funded solely and uniquely by the AFL. We get marginally more than they do and have sponsors like every other club.

I love the talk of funding and how we get the most from the AFL (and apparently some clubs don't get any:eek::oops:)

I will point out, however, that our operating costs would be higher than most other clubs (and no that doesn't include the academy which is paid for mostly though sponsorship)

Ahh

Ahhh, madmug. I see you are still dead set on the creation of a Tasmanian team in the throat blood of a 150 odd year old Melbourne club

All afl clubs exist within an equalised league which includes financial equalisation. Even GWS's distribution represents less than 1/18th of the afl's new rights deal.

Making emotive comment doesn't change the facts.
The call to 'history' is the defence applied by Victorians. That isnt allowed for anyone else. Their 'history' is irrelevant. They get the hard nose business BS applied to them.
Arrogance?
Ignorance?
Funny that.;)

Disagree, crowd parochialism has an effect but not enough to change the result of the game. I would hardly call the G home ground advantage for the Dogs - Etihad maybe but not the G
Lol,spoken like a true Victorian. We played Sydney in Melbourne not Hawthorn or Collingwood or some other MCG tenant.

Requested
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL ...013 - Club Promos/161205_2016annualreport.pdf

2016 2015

Answered

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

still dont know why tassie doesnt have there own team
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Click on the link provided

Sent from my SM-G920no need I can provide you with our full 2016 annual report if you like ive read it maybe you should too does not state in any form that collingwood have received any revenue from the afl directly.
Why do i care for you third party links or websites when i can get the facts from the business it self

Premierships if held at rightful home ground

2005 - WCE
2006 - SYD

2008 - CATS @ skilled stadium
2009 - SAINTS @ Etihad

2014 - SWANS @ scg
2015 - WCE @ subiaco
2016 - SWANS @ scg

Swans Wce and saints have been dudded bigtime. Wow and hawks hit the jackpot.

Last edited:
the AFL manages every situation.

You are 100% correct and most supporters just dont understand or know this.

As a club you have zero powers,

you can take the AFL on ... you may appear to "WIN" (Do well) in public ... public perception is always managed

... but you always loose behind closed doors. The Essendon drug saga was the classic example - most supporters only see the clubs media, not the real behind the scenes truth. The MFC "tanking" saga was another ... it was fun on both occasions.

Supporters by definition back the clubs ... I for one wont make that mistake I back the AFL and always have for many years ... ;)

Last edited:

2005 - WCE
2006 - SYD

2009 - SAINTS @ Etihad

2014 - SWANS @ scg
2015 - WCE @ subiaco
2016 - SWANS @ scg

Swans Wce and saints have been dudded bigtime.
I don't have any issues with Victorian clubs playing at the MCG like Geelong or St Kilda for example. The last 3 years thou have been farsical.
Can't complain as a dogs supporter,we finished 7th and got a home state GF against the side that finished on top. Still would have beaten Sydney in Sydney but you never do know.

It doesn't take much to see that every club receives a chunk of AFL funding. Some more than others.
Its obvious that clubs in New territory need help to develop. The fact that despite 100years of playing at the home of the game, so many clubs are dependent on AFL handouts. Thats a worry.

Good to see the penny finally dropping for some supporters ... ;) But some clubs were smarter than others and I'm not talking about GWS

2005 - WCE
2006 - SYD

2009 - SAINTS @ Etihad

2014 - SWANS @ scg
2015 - WCE @ subiaco
2016 - SWANS @ scg

Swans Wce and saints have been dudded bigtime.
Yeèah nahh
2009 was a toss up and I dont get the Home ground advantage.
WC-Swans sides were closely matched and home ground advantage may have made a.difference. But they were played on neutral ground so no real issue.

Hawks would have won theirs in a tropical swamp full of crocodiles if that was what it took though.It's just not right to say a fòotball field could of stopped them in 2008 , if the Geelong side of that year couldn't.
2015 was more about the fact the GF was the game that really mattered than WC beat them earlier at home in my humble opinion.
2016 The Bulldogs went interstate and won finals twice, all the evidence is they weren't getting beaten last year.

2005 - WCE
2006 - SYD

2009 - SAINTS @ Etihad

2014 - SWANS @ scg
2015 - WCE @ subiaco
2016 - SWANS @ scg

Swans Wce and saints have been dudded bigtime. Wow and hawks hit the jackpot.
The rightful home ground is the MCG. Always has been.
Also you forgot 2012, where Hawthorn were the top seed, but the Swans given the favourable prelim draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back