Review Dogs defeat Giants 86-71

Remove this Banner Ad

Was one of the games highlights. I don't think either player, Jones or Naughts, could actually have played it any better. Especially Jones. It was revealing for a player with little exposed form at the level.

It was the sort of play and connection that gives you a glimpse and a sense of excitement about what could be. There was a glimpse of similar hope and connection in the Freo game with Marra and Naughts.

:think: Do we give Spanger any credit?
No that's not how it works.

When we play badly it's all on the coaches. When we we do well it's because the players have lifted and got their act together.

I thought you knew that.

Not unless other teams actually tag Daicos, who will probably run away with it on current form. Bont is probably behind him at the moment, and likely neck and neck with Oliver. Bont has a good shot this year, but we will have to win most of the games and Bont avoid his few game quiet patches he has most years.
So in games where we are otherwise neutral regarding the result we'd want Collingwood to lose and Melbourne to lose, right?
That's because of the dumbsh*t unwritten rule that you can't be BoG if your side lost. :rolleyes:

On that note ... I notice that Sydney is on level terms with Collingwood half way through the 3rd Qtr. Go the Swannies!

It’s so great to finally have ‘they don’t get any shorter as the game goes on’ types.

Naughton and Lobb are very hard to combat in the fourth when it becomes less team defence and more 1on1.

So in games where we are otherwise neutral regarding the result we'd want Collingwood to lose and Melbourne to lose, right?
That's because of the dumbsh*t unwritten rule that you can't be BoG if your side lost. :rolleyes:

On that note ... I notice that Sydney is on level terms with Collingwood half way through the 3rd Qtr. Go the Swannies!
It is BS, but unfortunately wins sometimes do count towards some bias when the umpires pick the best on ground. Has been like that forever. If Bont and Oliver had exactly the same stats in the same game, and the Demons just pipped us, they will likely lean towards Oliver. Margins also play a part, you could get 40 possessions in a 100 point loss and you probably not get a single vote. Umpires may deem your game non impactful.

Bont just needs to hold his current form for the whole season, and we should win most of the remaining games. Looks like Oliver and Daicos will miss out on votes this weekend.

i would, although im no big Gards fan, Gards can be the more athletic spoiler alongside Jones, then the third defender needs to be able to mark and be offensive, Keath hasnt done that often in the last couple of years. I think all of TOB, Bruce, Cleary and Buku, even Buss could do it better, the latter 3 with time.
Describing a footballer as an athletic spoiler is worse than describing a blind date as being a nice person.

“What this team needs is a more athletic spoiler!” said no coach or list manager ever.

i would, although im no big Gards fan, Gards can be the more athletic spoiler alongside Jones, then the third defender needs to be able to mark and be offensive, Keath hasnt done that often in the last couple of years. I think all of TOB, Bruce, Cleary and Buku, even Buss could do it better, the latter 3 with time.

Gards tries, you can see that.. However when the games on the line and someone needs to stand tall and Gards is around its...

deer-car.gif

We’re a weak as piss football team.

No mongrel or aggression in us what so ever. And when team’s up the pressure and work rate we turn to water.

A lucky 4pts we can thank a very ordinary opponent for.
Is this a piss take? Because this doesn’t sound like a Charlie Bucket post!

With our dearth of genuine small forwards in some ways their hand was forced in the first few games with our best small forward not being available. However addressing Weightmans absence by playing 4 tall forwards was utter hubris and destined to failure. Im glad that they came to their senses and junked the idea before the season spun out of control. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I dont think it's an accident that our form has been on an upswing with the return of Weightman and the throwing of Jones into the deep end. Their enthusiasm is completely natural and somewhat at odds with a team that is prone to introversion when the going gets a little tough.

I thoughtit was always the plan to play the tall forward line. Wasn't that the pre-season buzz?

Is this a piss take? Because this doesn’t sound like a Charlie Bucket post!

Lol nup no pisstake.

Calmed down a bit since last night. Two GOAT’s and a Double Vodka Cruiser had me fired up!

I still believe last night was a poor performance. Regardless of the weather or the last quarter effort to stop GWS’s run, which mind you was the result of us completely shitting the bed, again, which has been a too common theme over the last 18mths. We played a poor brand and were lucky we didn’t play a better team or the result would have been very different. That’s what I took from the game.

We’ll be right moving forward. Our prior forms been good and we’ve got a great defensive system at the moment (statistically the second best defensive in the comp). Blues this week will be a good test. Expecting a better showing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos got clamped down on tonight and Bont was one of the two best on ground, which helps the Brownlow campaign.
I think Daicos will be tagged a fair bit over the season. Such a compliment for a second year player.

By conversion rate is that just % of goals from scoring shots or from inside 50s? We definitely did seem to convert better than usual last night which was nice.

It throws up a few questions for mine though, ie if we did convert better last night is that why our time in fwd half was way down compared to our usual fwd half based games? It’s easy to keep the ball in your fwd half when you’re constantly peppering the goals for no result. Then it also throws up the question, was our time in fwd half down because our conversion was up or was our conversion up because our time in fwd half down?

I’ve stated before that I don’t think our fwd half based game is that good for our scoring and we generate better scoring opportunities when we move the ball from half back into an open forward line.

It also seemed like our defending transition was better last night but again it’s easier to defend transition from fwd line when the balls not in there all night with our defence pushing super high to achieve that territory dominance, leaving us vulnerable out the back.

I’d love to know whether the stats back that up - Oliver Gigacz do you have access to our scores from def 50/fwd half and opposition scores from def 50/fwd half, & conversion rates for/against and how that compares to recent weeks?

Don't have access to forward half scores but here are the scores sourced from D50 as of R8...

D50.png

Lol nup no pisstake.

Calmed down a bit since last night. Two GOAT’s and a Double Vodka Cruiser had me fired up!

I still believe last night was a poor performance. Regardless of the weather or the last quarter effort to stop GWS’s run, which mind you was the result of us completely shitting the bed, again, which has been a too common theme over the last 18mths. We played a poor brand and were lucky we didn’t play a better team or the result would have been very different. That’s what I took from the game.

We’ll be right moving forward. Our prior forms been good and we’ve got a great defensive system at the moment (statistically the second best defensive in the comp). Blues this week will be a good test. Expecting a better showing.
I think Bevo basically said the same in his presser.

With respect to Oliver who’s a gun. If Bont came second again to an Oliver/Wines type I think there should be an overdue royal commission on the award

Bottom line is it’ll always favour those types. In recent history Priddis and T.Mitchell have won one, yet Selwood retires without one to his name (and whatever you think about him he probably deserved one at one point).

Bont will hopefully get his this year, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Describing a footballer as an athletic spoiler is worse than describing a blind date as being a nice person.

“What this team needs is a more athletic spoiler!” said no coach or list manager ever.
In fairness to Gardner, he hit the target with 10/12 disposals and had 3 score involvements which are both above average stats when compared to all of our key defenders.

Don't have access to forward half scores but here are the scores sourced from D50 as of R8...

View attachment 1681228
Legend, you’re too good to us OG.

Not pretty reading, not fussed about scores for because that’s not our method of scoring but highest avg against is a mess. How did those stats play out last night?

I thoughtit was always the plan to play the tall forward line. Wasn't that the pre-season buzz?
There was talk of that, but I think the idea may've started to form when Weightmans groin injury flared during the pre-season.

As I said we have 2 natural small forwards 3 if you include Charlie Clarke. I can't be certain but given how quickly they were rushed into the side. I suspect that the match committee had Weightman and Jones penciled in for those roles for round 1, but they both had injury interrupted starts to the season. This would've precluded going in with Plan B. The folly of going into the season with a land of the giants forward line.

Lol nup no pisstake.

Statistically 2nd best across the whole season? I guess we have to account for the amount of wet slogs we’ve played in there pumping those stats up (just like we have to factor that in for our lack of scoring too)

I reckon our win was good as any team this week other than maybe brisbane (even they were dangerously close to having a run on against them in the final quarter). Everyone just scraped through, no one was ultra impressive.

As un-comprehensive as it was take the win on the road and move on.

Also on Daicos, I reckon Craig McRae has been baiting teams were weeks to tag him so he can test him to prepare for finals. He knows it’s going to happen then and wants to see what his made of.

Statistically 2nd best across the whole season? I guess we have to account for the amount of wet slogs we’ve played in there too (just like we have to factor that in for our lack of scoring too)

Yes, 2nd best behind the Pies. The best since Rd2.

We’ve managed to score decently in 3 of those games. Also kept the Lions to a low total in Rd 3 in the dry at Marvel.

I’d say it’s more to do with our improvement in the back half than the conditions in some of the games we’ve played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back