List Mgmt. 2014 Trade and Free Agency Targets Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think that they should create a lottery of the top 10 picks.

It would actually mean that there is zero benefit from not having a crack in every game.

AFL seems at pains not to do this. NFL, NBA do I believe?

Of course, if we ever go bottom 2 watch the world implode as the whole top 30 becomes a raffle.

I actually think that they should create a lottery of the top 10 picks.

It would actually mean that there is zero benefit from not having a crack in every game.

Depends how you do it? Does every club that misses the finals have an equal chance, or is it weighted towards ladder position?

if it's the former, you run the risk of clubs that only just miss the eight in a strong year getting the best kid in the land, and if it's the latter you're still going to tank once you can't make finals.

My (probably unpopular) opinion is that as long as you have a draft system that rewards the lowest finishers, there will be tanking and unless a team makes it blatantly obvious they are doing so, people should just get over it. If we were awful and couldn't make the eight, I'd want the best draft pick possible too. The aim of the game in the long run is to win flags, not stay competitive every year.

Nick Malceski will likely leave the flag favourites for a team that finished outside the 8. I would argue FA is working ok

Personally, I dont think they should have the restricted free agents, just the unrestricted because then it is pretty much just 30 year olds moving around and nobody would care

Dogs CEO playing tough on Higgins:

Garlick left the door open to keeping Higgins at the Bulldogs - or forcing him into the 2014 NAB AFL Draft - by matching any offer.

"We've clearly got both the capacity in our salary cap and the capability from a financial point of view to match, we think, any offer that Shaun's going to get," Garlick said.

"We'll just assess that as it comes in and make a decision on Friday whether we want to keep Shaun in the red, white and blue or let him go."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-02/dogs-eye-swans-talls

Higgins is their property, they don't give a fxxx about him as an individual.

AFL seems at pains not to do this. NFL, NBA do I believe?

Of course, if we ever go bottom 2 watch the world implode as the whole top 30 becomes a raffle.

NBA does.

Not sure about the NFL, but their system allows teams to trade picks on the day of the draft. Imagine if we bought that in.

NBA does.

Not sure about the NFL, but their system allows teams to trade picks on the day of the draft. Imagine if we bought that in.

No lottery in the NFL.

I like the draft-day trading system. Allows for greater fluidity.

The aim of the game in the long run is to win flags, not stay competitive every year.

The 2 really shouldn't be contradictory though.

At the least I wish every 2nd round was reversed.

So Saints, knock yourselves out with pick 1. Because your next pick is at 36. Conversely the top 4 teams could load up with 2 top 20 players but aren't near the elite kids in the draft. Something along those lines would balance up better overall.

There would be no zones, priorities, compo etc in this system. Just good old fashioned ladder order picks.

And were compensated less than what Melbourne are likely to be for Frawley.

Buddy Franklin is worth so much more than Frawley it is not funny.

They're gonna get another top 3 draft pick to ruin.

Exactly, if a top team loses a FA they lose far more. But on the flip side they're more likely to get FAs also.

Where as Melbourne get more top end talent more quickly allowing them to develop and become a top team.

Get the salary caps all equal and FA would work like a charm imo. We'll eventually lose players to FA ourselves - doing so in rebuild phase fast tracks it.

So my ultimate question........
If you don't understand the value of pick 11, how can you say Levi isn't worth pick 11?
Numbers are shiny and flashy and sound really good, but in the end its 1 kid 18 years old. Dont get sucked in to the hyped value of picks mid to end of 1st round.
Levi has only really had one good season this year, for that reason alone he's not proven he's worth a top 15 pick.
He gets the most out of himself but he's not got the skills of an A-grade talent.
It would depend what type of talent is at pick 11, which depends on the strength of the draft class as to where Levi ranks, but I can tell you no club would offer pick 11 for Levi right now. If he'd had 2-3 years of that level this year you could maybe argue the case.
Based on this years draft Paul Ahern and Jayden Laverde could be that line-breaking talent that we lack if Levi wanted to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People amaze me. Yeh, pick #11 might get you a ferocious high endurance goalkicking inside mid who can mind a player when requied.

Hang on...

Anyway here's the last 10 years of pick #11s.

Adam Thomson
Shaun Higgins
Andrejs Everitt
Patrick Veszpremi
Steele Sidebottom
Jordan Gysberts
Tom Lynch (GC)
Toby Greene
Troy Menzel
Dom Sheed

Right now the only one I'd consider trading Levi for is Tom Lynch.

Rooboy96 and Teffy nailed it a while back. People are so dazzled by shiny new toys.

normally I would say no, but crikey 5 of the last 6 look pretty good, and this draft is supposed to be the mother of all drafts, you really have not convinced me to say "NO!!!" from the rooftops, I don't think Richmond would offer 11. F*** he was steak knives last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back