Opinion Draft preview (Thread closed, pls move discussion to new draft 'review' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WCE are said to like Laverde at 11. Same story with Adelaide at 14. Hard to see him sliding that far, but funnier things have happened.

There has been some linking Saad to Collingwood with our last pick. Will be interesting if we take him. I'm not keen personally but I get it given his pace and reliable set shot goalkicking - even if he doesn't get a whole lot of opportunities perhaps on a better team he gets more of it.

De Goey is highly regarded because he is a midfielder who is capable forward of centre as a genuine marking target in the front half. He has a good blend of inside/outside game with the contested side of his game improving this year. Good skillset. Tall midfielder.
Perhaps not as well performed as a number of his peers. But the mix of talents overall is appealing. I wouldn't say pick 5 appealing, but the recent rumour mill suggests Collingwood will be calling out his name tomorrow.

I also favour Langford to De Goey and agree that Langford has a bit more star quality. Langford being a late grower and such an athletic mover for a tall and so dominant overhead and with his scoreboard impact I also favour.

Imagine if Langford slipped to 30, some phantom drafts hav him slipping to 23. Need some bolters on the day, preferably going to GWS and gold coast.

What am i talking about, we wont get him.

Imagine if Langford slipped to 30, some phantom drafts hav him slipping to 23. Need some bolters on the day, preferably going to GWS and gold coast.

What am i talking about, we wont get him.

That be a Big as Steal as Getting Grundy at 18

That does sound a like the Type he will be. Though being a High Draft Picks he would get bit more closely watched.

He have mostly good-great games and not many bad games

I just think with having such a high pick, we as supporters want the exciting playmaker who can win a game off his own boot. Fact is De Goey will probably be a 200 gamer for us so we really cant complain.

I just think with having such a high pick, we as supporters want the exciting playmaker who can win a game off his own boot. Fact is De Goey will probably be a 200 gamer for us so we really cant complain.

I get what you are saying. Getting a Exciting Playermaker like Levarde would be Fantastic but the Rumors and Media are saying De Goey is all but a Lock.

We did not see the Interviews so we don’t know them Mentally

I will admit I haven't seen much of any of these kids but although De Goey apparently doesn't get huge numbers which seems to be the knock on him, a competitive beast with great skills, inside ability and elite overhead skills is one helluva combination. If he can get his numbers up it's a Bartel or Voss combination, a champion combination. Maybe the club see scope in him that they don't in others, which is important in a draft lacking top end "guaranteed" quality.

I am honestly wary of players like Langford or Laverde because tall mids seem all the rage at the moment, which makes people overvalue them in pre-draft discussions. For every champion oversized mid there are five average sized ones. Laverde is not an inside mid and we have no guarantee he can become one, just as we have no guarantee that De Goey can lift his production. Neither is a sure bet. With that said, I've seen more star players with De Goey's profile than Laverde's and if Hine, Rendell et al see it that way then that's fine with me.

Last edited:
I will admit I haven't seen much of any of these kids but although De Goey apparently doesn't get huge numbers which seems to be the knock on him, a competitive beast with great skills, inside ability and elite overhead skills is one helluva combination. If he can get his numbers up it's a Bartel or Voss combination, a champion combination. Maybe the club see scope in him that they don't in others, which is important in a draft lacking top end "guaranteed" quality.

I am honestly wary of players like Langford or Laverde because tall mids seem all the rage at the moment, which makes people overvalue them in pre-draft discussions. For every champion oversized mid there are five average sized ones. Laverde is not an inside mid and we have no guarantee he can become one, just as we have no guarantee that De Goey can lift his production. Neither is a sure bet. With that said, I've seen more star players with De Goey's profile than Laverde's and if Hine, Rendell et all see it that way then that's fine with me.

No One you Draft are a Sure Thing

De Goey- Beams like?

A Midfielder who can Go Forward and Kick Goals and Take Marks.

Beams played HFF/Mid position in his 1st few years and that is where I see De Goey Starting

A Midfielder who can Go Forward and Kick Goals and Take Marks.

Beams played HFF/Mid position in his 1st few years and that is where I see De Goey Starting

He looks like a cross between Dale Thomas and Mick McGuane...only better.

wait why don't people want De Goey? isn't he the big bodied inside mid every one including me so badly wants ?? Laverde sounds more and more like a slightly more talented PK.. rather address our immediate need tbh. Will be happy with either tho. Pickett would be nice also... don't want Wright personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dodge a bullet only to step under a bus

For anyone who has seen the movie How High, it's like surviving a fire in your apartment, falling from a high story window onto a road, again surviving, only to be killed by a bus when you stand up and celebrate. Poor kid. Melbourne is where elite juniors go to die.

They have had 8 top 5 picks since 1997 being T Johnstone, J Watts, T Scully (pick 1), J Trengove (2), C Sylvia (3), C Morton, J Toumpas (4) and B McLean (5). That is an atrocious record an I think it is a matter of poor culture leading to poor development. Toumpas is still a kid of course and I guess Watts and Scully have time, but the latter two names have been very underwhelming so far. At least Scully got out, so he may have a chance, although I think he may have been infected before leaving.

Last edited:
De Goey- Beams like?

A more consistent and more a midfield version of Colin Sylvia is largely who De Goey looks like to me.

On Beams v De Goey. Beams as a midfielder is on another level. Beams' junior numbers also were on a completely different level.

wait why don't people want De Goey? isn't he the big bodied inside mid every one including me so badly wants ?? Laverde sounds more and more like a slightly more talented PK.. rather address our immediate need tbh. Will be happy with either tho. Pickett would be nice also... don't want Wright personally.

It's so even that you wouldn't be overly disappointed with very many of those guys considered in the mix early. I just prefer some of the other guys. R.McKenzie is dominant as anything as a key forward. Blakely has incredible height as a midfielder but then the performance at WAFL league level and a good skillset for an inside guy. Laverde has some more tricks and Langford as a taller type is still growing and will continue to improve and is dominant on another level as a marking target forward of centre and with his scoreboard impact. It's just preference. That's it. And everyone will have their preferences and value various things slightly more highly than other things.
For me it's performance/production with De Goey that just isn't quite where I'd like it to be.

A more consistent and more a midfield version of Colin Sylvia is largely who De Goey looks like to me.

On Beams v De Goey. Beams as a midfielder is on another level. Beams' junior numbers also were on a completely different level.

It's so even that you wouldn't be overly disappointed with very many of those guys considered in the mix early. I just prefer some of the other guys. R.McKenzie is dominant as anything as a key forward. Blakely has incredible height as a midfielder but then the performance at WAFL league level and a good skillset for an inside guy. Laverde has some more tricks and Langford as a taller type is still growing and will continue to improve and is dominant on another level as a marking target forward of centre and with his scoreboard impact. It's just preference. That's it. And everyone will have their preferences and value various things slightly more highly than other things.
For me it's performance/production with De Goey that just isn't quite where I'd like it to be.
Is there much of a similarity between de Goey and Blakey?

I would think that Bruce would love to call a "de goey sidebottom".

Is there much of a similarity between de Goey and Blakey?

I would think that Bruce would love to call a "de goey sidebottom".

De Goey is the stronger marking forward.

Blakely is substantially better performed and more dominant inside player. He is taller again and still growing.

5 - Jarden Laverde
9 - Darcy Moore
30 - Connor Blakely
48 - Blaine Boekhorst
75 - Ahmed Saad

Attachments

• 10271586_707253446023475_2259973925885358188_n.jpg
    10271586_707253446023475_2259973925885358188_n.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 3

Beams was also an overager playing in division two though wasn't he?

At last years draft, Buckley couldn't contain his excitement about Langdon. Told me they couldn't believe that he slipped though the draft. I was lucky to have a good 10+ min chat to him as soon as it finished.

Got my tickets again this year and hoping to get some good info off him again.

If anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask him or Dekka, fire away... Fingers crossed I get into the inner sanctum again :)

As per knightmare re Reece Mckenzie if we over look him at 30 or worse 48 what was the reason or thought process behind it.

Last edited:
De Goey- Beams like?
De Goey is a mid you can build a team around. I think he will have a better inside game and seems to burst from stoppages with great core strength. His kicking skills are also potentially more damaging, with an innate ability to weight his kicks perfectly to advantage. Add to this an impressive overhead mark and goal kick; he will be a voss-like beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back