Suspended
Apr 25, 2010
Brooklyn
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Yankees
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-19/former-hawk-garlett-charged-with-burglary

FORMER Hawthorn player Dayle Garlett is facing criminal charges after appearing in a Perth court earlier this week.

Garlett appeared in Midland Magistrates Court on Wednesday charged with stealing a motor vehicle, aggravated burglary and breach of bail.

He was remanded in custody to appear in court again on September 26.

Garlett is alleged to have stolen a vehicle and later used it during an aggravated burglary in Perth.
His arrest completes a remarkable fall from grace for the talented footballer. Garlett was drafted to Hawthorn with pick No. 38 in last year's NAB AFL draft after he had been overlooked in the 2012 draft due to concerns about his off-field behaviour.

In March, having spent four months in Melbourne, Garlett walked away from Hawthorn and AFL football after struggling with homesickness and the training demands at the Hawks.

He returned to Perth but did not return to the WAFL where he had starred the previous season, kicking 48 goals in just 19 games with Swan Districts.

Garlett instead played five games in the country with Dandaragan before transferring to WA amateur club Swan View in June.

I'm sorry if I offend someone, but what a stupid ****. Could possibly be playing in either a VFL grand final, or with his skill set, getting prepared for an AFL grand final. But instead he will likely be in the slammer. Pure stupidity , nothing more and nothing less.

It's not an unpopular opinion that Dayle Garlett pissed away all his talent. It doesn't make me annoyed though, more sad that his life has gone this way.

Was always going to happen unfortunately... to quote one of the clubs head recruiters back in 2012 - "hes too busy knocking off cars for us to pick him up"

I'll never see how the lure of going out on the piss and being a criminal is more than a huge salary playing the game you love.

He'll have some serious regrets come his 40s

I agree.

I don't think he will have to wait that long to regret what he's done.

Could of had it all.

I'm sorry if I offend someone, but what a stupid ****. Could possibly be playing in either a VFL grand final, or with his skill set, getting prepared for an AFL grand final. But instead he will likely be in the slammer. Pure stupidity , nothing more and nothing less.
The kids got a few issues, one of which is that he doesn't have the tools to make good decisions, obviously.

Phil Smart from Swans did a brilliant job of talking him up last year, turned the corner, head screwed on right. He knew it was all crap, couldn't wait to get him as far away from Swans as possible, cop the loss of the lap tops taken from the club, and pocket the $40 grand from the Hawks.

I understand not everyone wants to cope with the training demands of AFL, and that not everyone can be Tom Swift and become a doctor if they aren't cut out for AFL, but * me he'd have had trades/a job handed to him on a platter if he wanted it and he could have had a nice life with a bit of partying...just needed to stop being a twat and listen to one of the dozens of people telling him this

Have fun getting pissed and sent to prison, sounds like a great life...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a lot of presumptions around Garlett that he is stupid for pissing away his talent. Well, are you living up to your own potential? I doubt it. I know I'm not.

A lot of it comes down to passion and desire, and after that it's about upbringing and the way you were taught to live when you were a kid. Does anyone think Garlett was taught how to work hard and be disciplined? I doubt he was.

A lot,of young blokes piss it all up against the wall when they are young and foolish. The vast majority grow up and become model citizens, fathers, husbands etc. The problem with athletes is their best years on an earning basis are when they are at that vulnerable age. This bloke is up against it right now but can and hopefully will turn it around. AFL is gone but there are plenty of opportunities left for him to lead a successful, prosperous and rewarding life. Hopefully he'll be back.

There are a lot of presumptions around Garlett that he is stupid for pissing away his talent. Well, are you living up to your own potential? I doubt it. I know I'm not.

A lot of it comes down to passion and desire, and after that it's about upbringing and the way you were taught to live when you were a kid. Does anyone think Garlett was taught how to work hard and be disciplined? I doubt he was.
There's not living up to your potential, then there's pissing your whole life away. He's certainly the latter.

He spent most of his teenage years in/out of shelters/homes and on the streets. The guy was battling uphill since he was 7, substance abuse from late childhood, The guy just has had a pretty shitty life and doesn't seem to be able to put himself on the right path for long

There's not living up to your potential, then there's pissing your whole life away. He's certainly the latter.
Yes, but a lot of that still comes down to upbringing.

He spent most of his teenage years in/out of shelters/homes and on the streets. The guy was battling uphill since he was 7
Not a surprise then.

That's all very well, but he keeps putting his hand up to play AFL when he clearly doesn't really want to do that. If he wants to be nothing more than a bum, fine, but stop wasting everyone's time.

That's all very well, but he keeps putting his hand up to play AFL when he clearly doesn't really want to do that. If he wants to be nothing more than a bum, fine, but stop wasting everyone's time.
He put his hand up twice. Hawthorn gave him a chance and would have been fully aware of the risks. There are also lots of kids putting their hand up to be drafted each year who are clueless about what the life of an athlete is like.

He spent most of his teenage years in/out of shelters/homes and on the streets. The guy was battling uphill since he was 7.

Bloody oath. I can't stand it that so many people act like we all have the same opportunities and upbringing. Those of us brought up in good families with an education and responsible adults to look after us should count ourselves very lucky and have a bit of empathy for those who haven't been as fortunate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back