Due diligence bullet dodged - former Hawk Garlett charged with burglary

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't even deserve to be drafted on footballing output. Sure, he kicked 48 goals, but he didn't even consider really chasing an opponent. It was clear on field that his attitude hadn't changed.

I don't begrudge him leaving the AFL system. Football isn't for everyone regardless of talent, that's fine.

However, I will judge him based upon the actions that have seen him charge here as I would anyone else in society.

Bloody oath. I can't stand it that so many people act like we all have the same opportunities and upbringing. Those of us brought up in good families with an education and responsible adults to look after us should count ourselves very lucky and have a bit of empathy for those who haven't been as fortunate.

Most do, but when you break into houses and steal cars then that empathy tends to deteriorate a tad.

Was always going to happen unfortunately... to quote one of the clubs head recruiters back in 2012 - "hes too busy knocking off cars for us to pick him up"
Yep, was told something similar (plus more) a few days out from the draft back in 2012. Surprised he wasn't arrested for any of that back then, since it was well known in the AFL community.

Did he think he couldn't afford a vehicle on AFL salary? Strange lad.
...He didn't steal it because he wanted to own a car.

He stole a car and ransacked a house because he's probably pissed away all his money and considering his habits when he was 15-16 it's the old way he used to make a dollar. 2+2 together and its pretty apparent what he's gotten himself into if he needs money this badly.

He spent most of his teenage years in/out of shelters/homes and on the streets. The guy was battling uphill since he was 7, substance abuse from late childhood, The guy just has had a pretty shitty life and doesn't seem to be able to put himself on the right path for long

Adam Goodes says it's our fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate there are plenty of blokes out there, black and white, who have had a s**t start in life.

This kid was provided every opportunity and urinated on it.

Empathy be damned at this point.
True enough.

Doesn't mean the kid doesn't have major issues.

There are a lot of presumptions around Garlett that he is stupid for pissing away his talent. Well, are you living up to your own potential? I doubt it. I know I'm not.

A lot of it comes down to passion and desire, and after that it's about upbringing and the way you were taught to live when you were a kid. Does anyone think Garlett was taught how to work hard and be disciplined? I doubt he was.

You say in your last little sentence that, 'I doubt he was'. In other words you don't know so are making a presumption.

People in subsequent posts have said what he faced since a young age but you had a guess. :rolleyes:

You say in your last little sentence that, 'I doubt he was'. In other words you don't know so are making a presumption.

People in subsequent posts have said what he faced since a young age but you had a guess. :rolleyes:
Except I didn't say there are presumptions about him generally, and that these were wrong. I specifically said there are presumptions that he is stupid and made an alternative suggestion.

Except I didn't say there are presumptions about him generally, and that these were wrong. I specifically said there are presumptions that he is stupid and made an alternative suggestion.

That's true, I was just pointing out that you went on to make a presumption about his upbringing, based on what I don't know. Unless of course you know him or his family.

That's true, I was just pointing out that you went on to make a presumption about his upbringing, based on what I don't know. Unless of course you know him or his family.
I don't know him or his family. I just know the guy has been a little messed which could well be because he didn't have the same advantages as others growing up.

Care factor zero!

The guy was uncoachable and had a lot going on elsewhere.

And now he acts like the everyday criminal. This isn't news. Although it would be funny if port adelaide wanted to draft him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back