Eastern FL - Division 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Dave - all of those 4 sides mentioned were very good dominant 2nd Division sides. I don't see any 2nd Division sides as strong as those premiers on the radar for the next couple of years. The difference between these premier sides and the bottom half of 1st Division is immaterial. The ability to compete with the top 1st Division sides consistently is where the difficulty lies.

From a Doncaster perspective just a couple of points. The weighted draw for Doncaster is not as favourable as it has been for past 2nd Division Premiers, due to requests to play a couple of strong local competitors twice. People tend to just refer to the financial clout of Doncaster, yet their 19s have knocked off
clubs that receive credit for having powerful junior set-ups already in 2016. They have had at least one 19s player play in each senior game in 2016 & are still yet to field a full strength side due to injury or unavailability over & above those playing seniors. They may not be the best side in it but it is a fair effort for a club that battles harder than the large majority in all 4 Divisions just to get a 19s side together.

If a club can get both junior development & recruiting right it is then they may have a sustained ability to complete with the traditional big boys. Rowville appear to be heading in the right direction hopefully others can follow.
Doncaster may have requested to play a couple of the powers twice but they play 7 games against the top 5 from last season . That is the same as Montrose in 2014 and North Ringwood last year. That IS a weighted draw.

Zak McCubbin requesting a trade from Norwood to Mitcham. What's going on there? You'd think he would be under contract.

Doncaster may have requested to play a couple of the powers twice but they play 7 games against the top 5 from last season . That is the same as Montrose in 2014 and North Ringwood last year. That IS a weighted draw.

Yes a weighted draw is still in play but I did state 'not as favourable'. Clearly Balwyn & Vermont would be the sides to avoid playing twice in 2016 but they face them twice, and 1 of the top 5 is looking less likely to be in a similar position for 2016 at this point. That side is likely to be replaced by a 'local' rival.

Yes a weighted draw is still in play but I did state 'not as favourable'. Clearly Balwyn & Vermont would be the sides to avoid playing twice in 2016 but they face them twice, and 1 of the top 5 is looking less likely to be in a similar position for 2016 at this point. That side is likely to be replaced by a 'local' rival.
Not here to knock Doncaster at all Bobby . They are obviously doing a lot right and good on them . As you touched on its the ability to keep competitive against the top boys year in year out is the challenge ahead. A lot of promoted sides seem to do well first year up then begin to trail off thereafter. Strong junior setups and of course sustainable financial strength are imperative to compete . I believe Div 1 should be cut back to 10 teams with the lower Div's all having 12. Thoughts?

All good BM - nice to discuss. It will depend on the individual clubs thoughts.

I like it at 12, as on any given day most clubs can be defeated. East Ringwood would not be in 1st Division in 2016 if reverted to 10 yet they have shown that they have been more than competitive this season. (Great win on the weekend DT). I would hate to see the day where a similar set-up of 9 existed as per the WRFL.

Not sure where the thoughts of some of the perennial battlers are at. But I can guarantee it is a tough fight to get back up once you drop down, so all endeavours should be made to retain the 1st Division status if the club wants to complete with the best.

All good BM - nice to discuss. It will depend on the individual clubs thoughts.

I like it at 12, as on any given day most clubs can be defeated. East Ringwood would not be in 1st Division in 2016 if reverted to 10 yet they have shown that they have been more than competitive this season. (Great win on the weekend DT). I would hate to see the day where a similar set-up of 9 existed as per the WRFL.

Not sure where the thoughts of some of the perennial battlers are at. But I can guarantee it is a tough fight to get back up once you drop down, so all endeavours should be made to retain the 1st Division status if the club wants to complete with the best.

Not sure we were competitive at Schramms a few weeks ago Bobby but have had a couple of good games since then. East Ringwood would have been relegated a few times over the past 7-8 years if there were 10 teams in the comp.

Sounds like a good game on the weekend against Balwyn.
Had a mate from work at the lunch upstairs and tells me Johnson had a shot in the last minute which could have got you the 4 points.
Noble losses are not what you want but Doncaster showing they can mix it with the big boys is a good thing.
As mentioned in earlier posts sustaining it over a period of time is what we are all striving for

Last time they won was 2009 yeah? Anyway seem to be struggling and have bucket loads of money with pokies

Geez. If you are a rowville supporter you would be chuffed. 30 player points in their win today and a good chance in fighting it out come finals. obviously a good junior set up without spending huge amounts like some.
and to think doncaster president wanted the points to be over 50 for this year and beyond so they could compete. LOL
Hope rowville win it to stick it up the bigger clubs that are paying way too much

Geez. If you are a rowville supporter you would be chuffed. 30 player points in their win today and a good chance in fighting it out come finals. obviously a good junior set up without spending huge amounts like some.
and to think doncaster president wanted the points to be over 50 for this year and beyond so they could compete. LOL
Hope rowville win it to stick it up the bigger clubs that are paying way too much

Will gets panstsy next week. P.S Vermont prove they are still pretenders yet again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep pretenders that have only lost 2 games 1 to a top 5 team. 1 freak qtr though Balwyn were clearly the better side. After that they out scored them
Umm, u clearly werent at the game.
Balwyn was so superior it was scary.
They put up the shutters after 1/4 time when it was all over.
Looks like anothe 1 sided G/F unfortunately, the bigger grounds will suit Balwyns superior skill levels.

Not sure Vermont will make it, i think Doncaster looks stronger.

Umm, u clearly werent at the game.
Balwyn was so superior it was scary.
They put up the shutters after 1/4 time when it was all over.
Looks like anothe 1 sided G/F unfortunately, the bigger grounds will suit Balwyns superior skill levels.

Not sure Vermont will make it, i think Doncaster looks stronger.

I was there. Put the shutters up? They kicked 5 in the third. Rennie Gilchrist had a day out

I struggle to understand the Badge of Honour that comes with a club playing good footy with lesser points. Perhaps another way to look at it would be if only we could have pulled in another couple of external talented players we may have actually won it.

I don't know how a couple of you blokes can make such statements. The week before Noble took care of Balwyn and Vermont beat Doncaster.

Agreed, I think it is wide open between the current top 3, and struggle to pick a winner. Noble Park have been outstanding in the second half of the year, and I couldn't possibly write off Vermont at this point.

It will be interesting to see the players named at Balwyn this week, there must be a temptation to rest some that may have niggles.

Agreed, I think it is wide open between the current top 3, and struggle to pick a winner. Noble Park have been outstanding in the second half of the year, and I couldn't possibly write off Vermont at this point.

It will be interesting to see the players named at Balwyn this week, there must be a temptation to rest some that may have niggles.
See Broadhurst played 2s after a fair lay off. Handy in come September if fit.

After the weekends results it looks like the finals is well and truly open to whoever can perform on the day. Any of the 5 could take it out. Excellent win by Rowville.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back