Roast Eddie freaking Maguire

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie perceived that the commentary was based in the first meeting between freo and Richmond. He made mention of it on the after game wrap up in round 10. Maybe this was him turning the tide in his mind.

Either way, whatever his reasons, just completely unprofessional. Next TV rights deal should have minimum stipulations on the quality of commentary for all personnel.

Eddie has a wheelbarrow of Melbourne media commitments. They're the ones he was playing to by kicking up a ridiculous stink about "WA bias" after the first Richmond game. They're the ones he's playing up to with his biased commentary. Unlike most of the others who at least try, Eddie has no interest in the national game.

I know what you mean in the sense he's actually a broadcast professional rather than an ex footballer and as such has probably spent more than 3 minutes thinking about the caper but for mine the over-excited faux mania style calling has had its day. I long for a Premier League understated style of commentary with someone like Martin Tyler just quietly calling the players names with a minimum of connecting statements and just one informed special comments person instead of this more is more cavalcade of histrionic shouters who almost never say anything that relates to what is occurring on the field. Even better would be a red button where you can just have the crowd sounds and no commentary.
I am puzzled that professional organisations who you could reasonably expect to give some consideration to the psychology of the listener completely ignore the idea of leaving something to the imagination. Its just lowest common denominator everywhere now.

I was watching the game yesterday with my housemate who doesn't usually watch sport and she asked the question "Why do the commentators keep describing what we can already see is happening?" She makes a good point. I wonder if it has anything to do with the commentators getting their experience in radio and then not being able to wind it back on television.

Yeah, it's artless. The television stations reward hyperbole rather than articulation, probably because they underestimate the average viewer, probably because the average viewer is an artless, illiterate boofhead. Straya.
I believe it's a lot more frightening to consider they're not underestimating much at all.
They know exactly who their audience is.

I really dislike Eddie's commentary style for all the reasons E Shed articulated earlier. I lasted about 30 seconds on the weekend (that's what she said!) until Alex Pearce made that great spoil and Eddie clearly had no idea what his name was. That was enough for me. I hit mute and put some tunes on, and I suspect my life is better for it. This thread certainly suggests so.

I could still tell the way the wind was blowing with the one-sided replay selections though. I was particularly baffled by the lack of replay when Fyfe was buried face first into the turf. Biased coverage is clearly a team effort.

I'm surprised they could even see out of the commentary box with the amount of jizz coming from Eddie every time Richmond touched the ball.

I've also lost all respect for Dunstall this season with his complete disrespect for Freo and outright barracking against us when commentating.

They had the Presidents roundtable on Fox Footy earlier this year. Eddie was so far out of his depth. All his views were so vic centric it was almost beyond belief. Like so many old Victorian media and administrators the still struggle to accept the national competition.

What annoys me most is their lack of research considering a) how much they get paid b) how little actual work they have to do. Dunstall continually banging on about Fyfe's poor goalkicking and his 'great' field kicking. Which Fyfe is this exactly? Not they one I watch every week. And what the $%^ was it with Dunstall and Thompson crapping on about the 2nd Crozier free kick. Dunstall: "You're allowed to block". No you're #$%#$ not! This is not basketball! Any shepherding +5 off the ball is a free kick. "Earning your free kicks" Christ he pushed a guy to the ground 60 metres off the ball from behind. That's why we have three umpires remember jackass! Thompson is like some wacky app that splices footy cliches and weird grunts with a random order and timing (he honestly sounds mentally deficient). It'd be great art, but as footy commentary it leaves something to be desired. Makes you wonder how their performance and popularity is assessed.
That being said I'm not sure their bias is deliberate, but they are also so used to pitching instinctively to their insular Melbourne audience, and they're not professional enough to overcome it.

Oh and Eddy, pls.

That pretty much covers it.

The flat lack of professionalism amongst so many of the commentary teams shits me no end - and then they have the audacity to call some of them 'expert commentators' :eek::cry:. They come across as so ******* stupid to anybody who has even a clue about the game. And how do they get these jobs? For the most part, by simply 'being there' and being a big boofhead member of the 'ex-AFL boys club of Victoria'.

In Eddie's defence, he has the aptitude to be better. His radio background attests to the fact that he can call a game (in that format, not on TV - it's different Eddie, you don't have state the bleeding obvious all the time). But he knows nothing outside of the big clubs of Victoria so when he calls a game like ours, whether intentional or not, it sounds like he's commentating for the sake of the Richmond faithful.

Well Eddie, try this. Leave the job to people who have the time and wherewithal to 1. follow the national game!!! (yes Eddie, the AFL has been a around for a while now) and 2. that aren't baggaged with the demands and bias that comes with being a leading figure of a major club and Victorian figurehead. Same goes to ******* Dunstall who is in the same boat but worse, he doesn't even have anything of the Eddies' limited journalistic nous. The utter BS that comes from Dunstall the supposed 'expert'. I hope to God that I'm never considered an 'expert' in my field if Dunstall is the definition of it.

/rant

The conundrum that is Eddie. He often talks before he thinks, is constantly mixing up players names, and openly cheers for the Victorian team. Despite all this I love him. Anyone got the number of a good therapist?

Lasted all of 5 minutes of bumbling Bomber Thompson and this idiot barracking before hitting mute. Ended up with Whateley & McClure and Son on ABC, still Vic friendly but at least fairly balanced. Whateley is a brilliant caller and whilst McClure is a dismissive, arrogant old Victorian prick he holds us in pretty high regard when we do what he wants us to, plus sounds like he's pretty convinced Lyon is a genius so pumps up his tyres. Made their feral flog fans easier to handle with a considered perspective in the background.

Can't do Langdon.

I like Bomber in a so bad he's good kind of way. It's fascinating to hear actual honest to goodness words with no meaning gibberish spoken on the commentary. David King actually had a few interesting observations yesterday but his eyes are too close together so he creeps me out.

If the AFL and the broadcasters are worried about growing disinterest in footy, they should seriously look at who is commentating. It absolutely ruins the experience on TV, and replays when you watch after the game.

I got rid of Foxtel earlier this year because it.

Fox Footy needs a serious reboot. A dedicated channel should be a great asset to the game but instead they are a thorn in its side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, I expected to come on this morning and see something about this
Knob jockey, so was it just me, out was he flat out barracking for the Tigers?

He just has no respect for us at all. Has no idea who half or players are. Constant digs at us.

I just found him infuriating.....

I got back to oz yesterday and watched the recording so I had no option of running a radio commentary. :thumbsdown::fire::cry:

Yep no way I would ever pay money for that mob of biased tools - soon as I saw Eddie and Dunstall were commentating I groaned. Have to get a digital radio or set up the PC so I can sync the 6PR broadcast with the TV next time. I keep wanting to put it on mute but also want to get information about injuries and why frees were given.

I like Bomber in a so bad he's good kind of way. It's fascinating to hear actual honest to goodness words with no meaning gibberish spoken on the commentary. David King actually had a few interesting observations yesterday but his eyes are too close together so he creeps me out.

Actually thought King did a fairly good job; he got a bit exasperated with the dummy-spits from Eddie/Dunstall/Thompson when Freo got a free and did a fairly good job of defending us.

One that stands out in particular is when Clancee got the 50m paid against him and Eddie could come up with no ideal retort - 'Well RICHMOND got a soft 50m paid against them so yadayada etc' and King shut him down.

I use TuneIn every day but thought I could only play it two days after the event if I had specifically recorded the game???

How would your suggestion work?
I have used it to stream JJJ live from overseas. Sorry i Assumed there would be something on there to get the footy.

there I go making an ass out of you and me

Eddie was actually dead silent for a good 90 seconds around the time before,during and after of Mundys kick for goal, it was like he wasn't in the box. Then we he did start speaking he said it was Mayne. If I could have actually saw his fat face at the time I may have thrown my TV at the window.

On another note I was watching the North/Brisbane replay on Eurosport on Monday night and the 2 youngish sounding blokes they had commentating that game were great. Full of insight on both clubs history, how many games some of the youngsters had played and just general level headedness, much like the premier league commentating someone referred to earlier in the thread.

I have used it to stream JJJ live from overseas. Sorry i Assumed there would be something on there to get the footy.

there I go making an ass out of you and me

I watched the game yesterday. You can listen to games on the AFL app overseas. But you can't put on the radio calls after the event.

It would be a great PAY TV option ... if you could select different streaming commentaries.

Was also interesting that we never got a replay of any contentious ones against us but if we got one they'd replay it to death.

yeah i noticed this on the replay too - especially the Mayne "throw" in the last

very hard to distinguish whether or not the umpire was right or not, when there is no evidence to base that off :drunk:

They are clearly instructed to appeal to the largest audience. They will always be biased towards one of the big 4 Victorian clubs if we play them. It's horribly unprofessional and an embarrassment. You don't see it happening with any overseas sports like the EPL or the NFL.

They are clearly instructed to appeal to the largest audience. They will always be biased towards one of the big 4 Victorian clubs if we play them. It's horribly unprofessional and an embarrassment. You don't see it happening with any overseas sports like the EPL or the NFL.

It happens in the EPL. There are a few refs who seem to hate certain teams.

It's not as bad as the AFL - but Man United under Fergie when Howard Webb refereed (especially against Liverpool) could be particularly embarassing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back