Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but sometimes a goal kicker is all that is required and conversion was a real problem against Melbourne.

I share Keystone's Agony's annoyance at this view that Crameri was useless. It's just sour grapes that he's gone.
Since when was conversion one of Crameri's strengths?

And it isn't sour grapes. The deal benefited us, the Dogs and Stewy himself.

By 'meaningless' I meant that he only manages to kick goals against sides like GWS, Brisbane etc. And you're completely ignoring my point about opportunity cost. Sure I'd like to have him around still, but if that means giving up Zach, Ambrose and Chappy, then I'd say no deal.
Your missing the point.

Zach Merrett has nothing to do with it, We couldve picked up a spud. Your saying that Chappy wouldnt have been there had Crameri because of some salary issues? NO

Im saying id prefer to have Crameri at 400k a year over Ambrose for 150-200k a year which he wouldve cost

sorry if hes been talked about, havent been in here in about 6 months...

Is Tom Mitchell in the mix? He must be looking for an easy out.. surley! The strength of that midfield, the way they have frozen him out...
Is getting 500k a year at the swans. Very good chance to come in for an injured Kennedy over the next few weeks.

I think Carlton would be the front runners but they seem to be with everyone. We cant fit him into the cap with much ease.

Your missing the point.

Zach Merrett has nothing to do with it, We couldve picked up a spud. Your saying that Chappy wouldnt have been there had Crameri because of some salary issues? NO

Im saying id prefer to have Crameri at 400k a year over Ambrose for 150-200k a year which he wouldve cost
Zach has everything to do with it, seeing as though he was picked up as part of the deal. And there's no way Ambrose is on 200k.

Would trade melksham in a heartbeat if it got us Watts. It wouldnt but if it was ever offered, wouldnt think twice.

Agree 100%. Melbourne would love to get some heart into their club (howlett) but i can't see this getting the job done. The upside to watts is too high. Stick him next to great preseasoners at any club (stanton, ambrose etc for us for example) where he understands he has a chance to win any game (compared to Melbourne) and you could see him take off. I'd love watts at the club, but not at the cost he's likely to demand

For **** sake. Since he was capable of kicking a meaningless 40 goals a season.
I've already explained what I meant by it and you're taking what I said out of context. Crameri was never a very good set shot at goal. You think he would've converted his chances into scores and won us those games? I disagree.

I've already explained what I meant by it and you're taking what I said out of context. Crameri was never a very good set shot at goal. You think he would've converted his chances into scores and won us those games? I disagree.

I think a guy who can kick 40 goals clearly knows how to convert chances into goals, find himself in scoring positions or kick accurately enough at goal or however else you want to classify it.

Maybe at the next EFC board meeting we could move a motion for official recognition of the Stuart Crameri Goal Scoring Treaty ("SCGST") on the basis that it represents one of the few examples of true cooperation between the 18 clubs when they put aside their differences to sign the treaty to officially credit Crameri with goals that he never actually kicked himself.

I think a guy who can kick 40 goals clearly knows how to convert chances into goals, find himself in scoring positions or kick accurately enough at goal or however else you want to classify it.

Maybe at the next EFC board meeting we could move a motion for official recognition of the Stuart Crameri Goal Scoring Treaty ("SCGST") on the basis that it represents one of the few examples of true cooperation between the 18 clubs when they put aside their differences to officially credit Crameri with goals that he never actually kicked himself.
So you really think Crameri would've been the difference? And you think it would've been worth keeping him over Zach, Chappy and Ambrose for his token 35-40 goals a season?

So you really think Crameri would've been the difference? And you think it would've been worth keeping him over Zach, Chappy and Ambrose for his token 35-40 goals a season?

For a start we wanted to keep him so it's not just me and a few guys on Big Footy.

Secondly, where do Chapman and Ambrose come into it?

Chapman was being signed regardless of the Crameri trade as had been indicated throughout trade period.

Crameri being on the list doesn't mean that Ambrose would have presented of anything less than the animal he was and we were looking for leading options. Ambrose might not have played a lot of footy this year but you can't assume that Ambrose would not have been drafted.

It's Merrett vs Crameri. Merrett is the better probably the better player but we never saw the best of Crameri which I think we would have seen had he played in front of a Dangerous Carlisle and Daniher/Ryder.

That I think Ambrose will ultimately end up being a seriously good half forward and that Merrett will be a star doesn't lessen the qualities that Crameri had. You're reinterpreting history because you don't like Crameri any more and talking a huge amount of s**t in the process.

I have absolutely no doubt that his 30 - 40 goals this year would be the difference between fighting for 7th and 8th as we currently are and being firmly entrenched in the eight and probably 5th or a clear 6th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a start we wanted to keep him so it's not just me and a few guys on Big Footy.

Secondly, where do Chapman and Ambrose come into it?

Chapman was being signed regardless of the Crameri trade as had been indicated throughout trade period.

Crameri being on the list doesn't mean that Ambrose would have presented of anything less than the animal he was and we were looking for leading options. Ambrose might not have played a lot of footy this year but you can't assume that Ambrose would not have been drafted.

It's Merrett vs Crameri. Merrett is the better probably the better player but we never saw the best of Crameri which I think we would have seen had he played in front of a Dangerous Carlisle and Daniher/Ryder.

That I think Ambrose will ultimately end up being a seriously good half forward and that Merrett will be a star doesn't lessen the qualities that Crameri had. You're reinterpreting history because you don't like Crameri any more and talking a huge amount of s**t in the process.

I have absolutely no doubt that his 30 - 40 goals this year would be the difference between fighting for 7th and 8th as we currently are and being firmly entrenched in the eight and probably 5th or a clear 6th.
I have no ill feelings towards Crameri. In fact I haven't given him one thought all year (besides now and the two Bulldog games). But really, winning by more against s**t sides like Carlton only serves to boost our percentage. Sure its useful, but it doesn't help in finals football against quality like Hawthorn and Fremantle.

Give us Crameri and we might win 1 or 2 more games for the year. So what? We're still in roughly the same position, but with a very expensive third tall and without the upside of an extremely talented young gun in Merrett.

Your missing the point.

Ambrose is on about 75K.

Zach has everything to do with it, seeing as though he was picked up as part of the deal. And there's no way Ambrose is on 200k.
Your talking in hindsight. Thats why i said ive become much more happy with the trade off as Zach Merrett has progressed this year and i highly rate from what i seen ie: not just a one year hit wonder - dwell for 3 years type/he has it). Any first year player still needs more than a year to be accurately assessed though.

Im purely talking between Ambrose vs Crameri who would you take. Salaries can be included exclusively related to themselves.
Ambrose is on about 75K.
Less as starting salary plus game payments. Thats what you get for your first 2 years of AFL. You arent locked in to a 300k a year contract. Im not exactly sure what the match payments are but back in 2010 they were about 3.2k per game and after 5 games it became something like 4 something and after 10 games it increased again.

Scully didnt just get paid 50k for that first year, people do realize that yeh.

Edit: Id say Ambrose would get around 150k as i said before for this year. Hes played alot of games.

Last edited:
Any first year draftee that isn't taken in the first round earns 50k/year. Top 5 picks earn over 100k/year, 5-10 about 90k/year, 10-end of first round 75k/year. The rest 50k/year.

Source?

Lol

Scully earnt 135k back in 2010 when the salary cap was in 7. millions
Jack Viney, Toby Greene, Tom Mitchell and Jarryd Lyons.

135k is over 100k, yes?

Jack Viney, Toby Greene, Tom Mitchell and Jarryd Lyons.

135k is over 100k, yes?
hahhaha nice sources. They probably only know whats going into there pocket not whats going elsewhere out of that salary, but even so nice sources :rolleyes:

In 2010 the Salary cap was 7.9 Mill
Scully earnt 135k (from playing 20 games) If he was to play the same amount of games now in 2014 as his first year hed get ~172k

So obviously Ambrose is less than that. Played less games (albeit very close). Not the number one pick. Hed still be getting close to that 140-150k mark. Ambrose certainly didnt just get 70k. He wouldve earnt that purely in match payments .

If i had a Crameri sitting there costing (400k) and an Ambrose (140-150k~ Increases a fair bit next year if he plays the same amount of games).

Id take Crameri without any hesitation and happily pay that extra 250k in the cap. All im saying.

sorry if hes been talked about, havent been in here in about 6 months...

Is Tom Mitchell in the mix? He must be looking for an easy out.. surley! The strength of that midfield, the way they have frozen him out...

If we could get one player this off-season I'd be targeting him, he is that goal-kicking midfielder who can excel forward of the ball that we just do not have. Hes young and would continue to be in the side for another 10+ years.

The main problems are:
1. Sydney despite their existing midfield will not want to let him go
2. We don't have anything to trade for him, hes probably worth a top 5-10 pick and I'm not exactly sure we've got any players worth the offer?
3. His price will not be cheap, every club will target him.

Is getting 500k a year at the swans. Very good chance to come in for an injured Kennedy over the next few weeks.

I think Carlton would be the front runners but they seem to be with everyone. We cant fit him into the cap with much ease.
Wouldn't losing Winderlich, Jetta, etc. create that extra cap space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back