Toast Eric MacKenzie is Beast

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2013-07-09/mackenzie-for-all-australian-schofield

“I think he has been the best backman in the competition this year and the most underrated player in our team,” Schofield said.

Is a bit one sided, and I know we all think he should be selected.

What do you think his AA chances are this year? Surely he has surpassed Glass as our most influential defender.

I think hes an outside chance but would have to push Carlisle, Thompson, Taylor out of a position you'd think. McPharlin getting injured helps. Hes not recognized enough outside of WA, he is slowly getting some recognition through the press though.

Masten and Mackenzie tied for B&F would be a dream! Or do we still do countbacks o_O

With McPharlin now out for 5, it's E-Mac v Taylor for the spot.

He's obviously gona be in the 40(?) man squad

I think hes an outside chance but would have to push Carlisle, Thompson, Taylor out of a position you'd think. McPharlin getting injured helps. Hes not recognized enough outside of WA, he is slowly getting some recognition through the press though.

Masten and Mackenzie tied for B&F would be a dream! Or do we still do countbacks o_O
Thompson wins plenty of the ball but has conceded a few goals this year. I think MacKenzie will be ahead of him. Carlisle, McPharlin and Taylor I would have just ahead of MacKenzie at the moment so it will depend how much McPharlin gets discounted for missing games - I suspect he will still get in.

Thompson wins plenty of the ball but has conceded a few goals this year. I think MacKenzie will be ahead of him. Carlisle, McPharlin and Taylor I would have just ahead of MacKenzie at the moment so it will depend how much McPharlin gets discounted for missing games - I suspect he will still get in.

McPharlin, Carlisle and Taylor take a tonne of marks, hopefully Eric can take a few more

Eric has the 4th best 1%ers average in the league which is fantastic! if he can get a few more tackles and rebound 50's that will get him up there.

Can anyone bring up the stat for least goals kicked on for the year??? Id be very curious

Dunno about Emac for AA. Carlisle and Taylor have had pretty good seasons.

Mckenzie rarely gets mentioned by commentary for even playing well, meanwhile those two ^ constantly get AA thrown up non stop when they do something.

The afl website didn't even have him in our best 6 players against the crows ffs.

I'll never forget that night in '09, when it looked like we were about to snatch victory from Sydney (in Sydney), only for this man to pull off the ugliest of kicks, straight to Kieran Jack who kicked the winner. I wanted him delisted after that (and his poor from leading up), it really goes to show how far he has come with his footy.

Gone from being an absolute hack to being one of our most important players in the side today.

He was never a hack - I thought he was a shining light throughout 08/09. Unreliable kick, sure, but no hack.

I actually think his career best form was in 2011 (or 2010?). He was killing the opposition's second talls

E mac is in All Australian form. His defensive work is superb. His disposal is still shaky though but he will clean that up.

E mac is in All Australian form. His defensive work is superb. His disposal is still shaky though but he will clean that up.

There was nothing shakey about his kicking last game against Adelaide, he was in fact praised for his kicking from the commentary about 5 times in that game.

There was nothing shakey about his kicking last game against Adelaide, he was in fact praised for his kicking from the commentary about 5 times in that game.

Yes but that is probably the first time in his career that he didnt look like a liability with the ball in his hands. Normally when he goes to kick the ball half the crowd holds thier breath (Eagles fans) waiting for the turnover, and the other half get excited (the opposition fans) looking for a free goal. I hope he does find the ability to keep hitting targets like he did on the weekend because its the only thing stopping him from being a star imo.

Ive always worried about Darren Glass's kicking but hes generally pretty good, I think they have a similar dodgy kicking style but when they play the percentages they go fine. Leave the risky stuff to the half backs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive always worried about Darren Glass's kicking but hes generally pretty good, I think they have a similar dodgy kicking style but when they play the percentages they go fine. Leave the risky stuff to the half backs.

I agree Glass's kicking style looks a little mechanical and less natural, but he usually hits his targets. McKenzie & Waters on the other hand tend to spray kicks in areas where the opposition can easily score from. Thats what worries most people when they have the ball. I dont think too many people worry when glassy has the ball. :)

Mackenzie is one of our most improved according to this. I think most would agree Masten/Kennedy/Mackenzie would be top 3-5 in b&f this year.

WEST COAST

THE BIG IMPROVER: Josh Kennedy. Eric Mackenzie and Chris Masten could both stake a claim but Kennedy has elevated himself among the elite power forwards in the AFL. He was the Eagles' leading goalkicker in 2011 and an All Australian nominee that season. Injury restricted him in 2012 but in 2013 he is leading the Coleman Medal race and has been a shining light in an inconsistent West Coast side. Kicked the match-winner against Adelaide in round 15 to boost the club's finals chances.
COULD DO BETTER: Adam Selwood. The 2006 premiership player has been one of John Worsfold's most trusted lieutenants over his 11-year career. Injury has plagued the 29-year-old in 2013 and when he has played he has been exposed for pace. Selwood is 15 games away from 200 but whether he gets there or not may depend on how he recovers from his ongoing back issues. - Alex Malcolm
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-10/aflcomaus-snakes-and-ladders

His long kicking is fine, it's the short game that's the problem. As long as he doesn't need to hit a target under pressure that's <30m away, it's all good.

Yes but that is probably the first time in his career that he didnt look like a liability with the ball in his hands. Normally when he goes to kick the ball half the crowd holds thier breath (Eagles fans) waiting for the turnover, and the other half get excited (the opposition fans) looking for a free goal. I hope he does find the ability to keep hitting targets like he did on the weekend because its the only thing stopping him from being a star imo.
Mackenzie's kicking has actually been solid all year.

Mackenzie's kicking has actually been solid all year.

Totally disagree i'm sorry mate. He's always a solid defender, plays his opponents tight and his spoiling is top notch, but his kicking leaves a lot to be desired. Last weekend he hit targets and didnt look like he was going to turn it over so that was nice to see. Hopefully it continues.

Totally disagree i'm sorry mate. He's always a solid defender, plays his opponents tight and his spoiling is top notch, but his kicking leaves a lot to be desired. Last weekend he hit targets and didnt look like he was going to turn it over so that was nice to see. Hopefully it continues.
His kicking may have "leave a lot to be desired" last year, but this year he's really improved it.

His kicking may have "leave a lot to be desired" last year, but this year he's really improved it.

I disagree mate. Ive seen him have a few dodgy disposals this year as per his usual efforts. Last game was probably the first time ive seen him kick with confidence and hit targets. You obviously disagree and thats fair enough, but i think you would find there will be many people who feel his kicking has been a major worry until last week.

Mackenzie has always been a good long kick, it's when he's had to stab the ball that he has sprayed a kick here and there.

Love the perspective bias when it comes to clanger kicks though. Some people mark them down for some players and don't see some players do them. Eg: Kennedy's two direct turnovers through the middle against Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back