Etihad Stadium Gone by 2025?

Remove this Banner Ad

You can stroll through a park en route to the G.

There's that one (Fitzroy), Carlton, and Flagstaff gardens all littered on the border of the CBD. They're good for lunch breaks and the last two are littered with office workers at 1pm. They're well patronised by backpackers and young punks with paper bagged beers in the arvs too. So I don't think it's really badly needed.

The biggest thing is that no way will multi-million dollar land be chucked away for a park. No way. Everyone is just going to point towards Flagstaff Gardens.

This whole 'unlocking' Docklands thing is mostly s**t. People find the walk down to Southern Cross inane enough. We don't have a city massive enough to constitute anything but residences down there anyway... you can't have thriving shops and entertainment districts all over the place. I just don't think Docklands'll be massive until the population bumps up another 500,000. You're just not going to make it substantially more attractive by knocking down the stadium – and only marginally more attractive than that with a nice green space.

Plus Etihad won't be demolished. Just won't.

:eek: yeh

:rolleyes: nah, where is WHELAN the WRECKER ?

Someone supply the bulldozer and cranes, wrecking balls etc. and happy to change my name to Whelan for as long as it takes to get the job done.
Carlton is yet to beat Geelong at Etihad. My view is that if it ain't broke don't demolish it!

What sort of world are we living in where an expensive development like that can get built and then ripped down on a whim barely 20 years later because somebody thinks its somehow "in the way".

They'll spend billions to move it 2 km down the road and then we will repeat all the problems from last time.....whinging about stadium deals (somebody has to pay for it), the location (will be too far this time) etc etc etc.

And in its place they will build a monstrosity that is also "in the way".

What sort of world are we living in where an expensive development like that can get built and then ripped down on a whim barely 20 years later because somebody thinks its somehow "in the way".

They'll spend billions to move it 2 km down the road and then we will repeat all the problems from last time.....whinging about stadium deals (somebody has to pay for it), the location (will be too far this time) etc etc etc.

I heard a union official in the radio yesterday saying the average construction worker will earn $160K on major Melbourne construction projects this year because of successful negotiations. Imagine what it will cost to build a new stadium.....

I heard a union official in the radio yesterday saying the average construction worker will earn $160K on major Melbourne construction projects this year because of successful negotiations. Imagine what it will cost to build a new stadium.....

Just need the govt to change the legislation on foreign labour and their salaries will halve overnight.

5 days at ten hours and 1 day at 6 hours, but you wont read that in a Murdoch rag.

How may days is an MP expected to 'sit' in parliament acting like a buffoon?

What exactly does an MP construct?

But isn't that the point of enterprise bargaining ? wages can go up too? do we want to go back to awards ?

Not sure how its "in the way" when its now surrounded by so many buildings you cant see it

I any case its a sad reflection on planning in the Kennett years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This, from the only city in the world which built an observation wheel where there's nothing to observe, except the sky/free/toll/way and a boxy shopping centre where idiots were convinced to site outlets because of the passing traffic on the way to the non observation wheel

Etihad look positively successful in comparison - should be the last bit of docklands to be demolished

It was completely cocked up.

Should it never be fixed because it cost money to build?

If somebody can come up with a relocation which delivers net benefit, why wouldn’t you do it?

5 days at ten hours and 1 day at 6 hours, but you wont read that in a Murdoch rag.
I guess you won't also read that they get meal allowances every day, double time after 3.00pm, etc, etc. The point I was making is that construction of a new stadium will cost an arm and a leg.

Why are journos running around when Doyles comments don't seem to have any source or study to fall back on?
OK hes the Mayor but hes also a dick

Sure the stadium might be a barrier but so is about ten train lines

Absentee apartment owners is the biggest problem in docklands, Also this may not be a popular opinion, but it want that UGLY before the transformation, and there's an argument it had better aesthetics back then. with a whole bay to go at, its not as if Melbourne is short of waterfront property

I guess you won't also read that they get meal allowances every day, double time after 3.00pm, etc, etc. The point I was making is that construction of a new stadium will cost an arm and a leg.

Is that the MPs of the workers? I heard the MPs need to be breath tested too, not that they ever do enough to endanger anyone else

Why are journos running around when Doyles comments don't seem to have any source or study to fall back on?
OK hes the Mayor but hes also a dick

Sure the stadium might be a barrier but so is about ten train lines

Absentee apartment owners is the biggest problem in docklands, Also this may not be a popular opinion, but it want that UGLY before the transformation, and there's an argument it had better aesthetics back then. with a whole bay to go at, its not as if Melbourne is short of waterfront property

Empty apartments are a symptom not a cause, who would want to live there?

The whole area has potential, I don’t know how people can actually think more CBD waterfront would be a bad thing.

But the whole area was horribly planned and slapped together, hence it’s terrible.

The first issue is it’s inaccessible. Whilst that’s the case, the area will never work. The stadium is a major factor in that.

Maybe there's too many stadium builders and not enough stadiums being built, all of whom will gladly give you a heads up on how 'crap' your stadium is

Maybe there's too many stadium builders and not enough stadiums being built, all of whom will gladly give you a heads up on how 'crap' your stadium is

And how its pointing in the wrong direction.

It is in the way though, I concede that. Its in the way of the walk from Southern Cross Station to the new stadium that will replace it

The first issue is it’s inaccessible. Whilst that’s the case, the area will never work. The stadium is a major factor in that.

Yep the train lines and train station and bus terminal with only three access roads from the city (Flinders Collins Latrobe) have nothing to do with it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back