expansion after 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee with all these teams the OP is talking about it makes you think of the morons that set up the AFL as we have it now.

Should of just been set up with the 3 major state leagues and grown to the other states at that time and then these threads would not exist.
All great football clubs would be involved instead of some great clubs and some others who happened to exist in the same state. (Victoria)

Why invent clubs for expansion when traditional great clubs already exist and could easily move to the AFL with support from the AFL.

Makes me sick seeing West Perth, East Fremantle, Norwood, Sturt etc etc playing second tier football while the AFL are making up clubs on the run when they have great clubs sitting there.

The AFL is a joke.

Whilst the Tasmanian population may be stagnant not so is the amount of Tasmanians in the world.
Tasmania hasthe highest birth rate (http://www.examiner.com.au/news/loc...hrate-still-highest-in-australia/1987582.aspx).

Many Tasmanians move to other places in Australia and would adopt the team as their second (or main) team if given the chance. A Tassie team would clearly establish football as the national code as well as bringing back some tradition to our game.

Tassie is the 'Ireland' of Australia. Both places have always exported people, quality alcohol & footballers. The Tasmanian Diaspora would support our own team.
The biggest impediment to getting a team is Victorian bias,

The biggest impediment to getting a team is Victorian bias,

I don't agree with that at all. I think you'll find most Victorians would be up for a Tasmanian team entering the comp. Victorians don't have an agenda against Tassie, we share the same Area Code for christ sake!

Victoria sees Tassie as it's little brother - fun to pick on, but we love ya. Unlike NSW - which should snap off and sink and take the NRL with it.

Creating teams in small s**t hole towns like Moe and Kalgoorlie is laughable.

This idea of conferences and divisions will never happen, personally I believe they will expand to 24-25 teams so every one plays each other once in the home and away and expand the Finals out to 10 or 12.

Where could these new teams be located perhaps?? my guess would be 1-2 more in Queensland, 1-2 more in Sydney,1 in Tassy, 1 in Darwin, 1 in Canberra, and another in either Western Australia or Adelaide...........

I don't agree with that at all. I think you'll find most Victorians would be up for a Tasmanian team entering the comp. Victorians don't have an agenda against Tassie, we share the same Area Code for christ sake!

Victoria sees Tassie as it's little brother - fun to pick on, but we love ya. Unlike NSW - which should snap off and sink and take the NRL with it.

I differentiate those who rule over the game from Melbourne & use selective decision making in directing the games future.
Most Victorians are the same as all of us who love the game & see inequities in decision making.
The economic arguement- Did u realise that Unemployment is greater in Western Sydney than Tasmania.
& again, Both Sydney & Melbourne have very large numbers of professional teams chasing the same $. AND many are really struggling.
& again. I really believe having a true Tasmanian team will add to the marketing of the 'National' game & as to the TV market, Tasmania has a large Diaspora & a lot of people who will follow them as their own or a second team.
The AFL marketing w***ers will ruin the game if they keep trying to direct the game away from its real heart, the people, & towards 5minute marketing gimics.

Creating teams in small s**t hole towns like Moe and Kalgoorlie is laughable.

This idea of conferences and divisions will never happen...

ErPpC.gif

evilgrin.jpg

Divisions will end up coming along. It'd probably need a 24-team comp though. So running off that.....

West
West Coast
Fremantle
WA3
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Geelong
Western Bulldogs
Team 23

South
Tasmania
Melbourne
St Kilda
Collingwood
Hawthorn
Richmond
Carlton
Team 24

North
GWS
GC
Brisbane
Sydney
North Melbourne
Essendon
Canberra
QLD3

Top 2 from each division to finals, with the 2 remaining teams with the best record going in as well. Still 8-team finals system based on current system.

I really believe having a true Tasmanian team will add to the marketing of the 'National' game & as to the TV market, Tasmania has a large Diaspora & a lot of people who will follow them as their own or a second team.
The AFL marketing w***ers will ruin the game if they keep trying to direct the game away from its real heart, the people, & towards 5minute marketing gimics.

Lol oh god... how on earth will it add to the marketing and tv marking when tasmania is already a footy state and already watches footy. Having a tasmanian team isnt gonna increase ratings, but it will take away members from existing clubs, and it will create a tiny team who bleeds money in the long term

Anyone who even suggests a team in a country SA town has no idea about SA. We have no regional towns with a population of over 30,000 ffs!

There should not be an expansion, 18 teams are too much, reduce it back to 16; North and Bulldogs should merge and go to Darwin, Hawthorn and St Kilda should merge and go to Tassie.

Gee with all these teams the OP is talking about it makes you think of the morons that set up the AFL as we have it now.

Should of just been set up with the 3 major state leagues and grown to the other states at that time and then these threads would not exist.
All great football clubs would be involved instead of some great clubs and some others who happened to exist in the same state. (Victoria)

Why invent clubs for expansion when traditional great clubs already exist and could easily move to the AFL with support from the AFL.

Makes me sick seeing West Perth, East Fremantle, Norwood, Sturt etc etc playing second tier football while the AFL are making up clubs on the run when they have great clubs sitting there.

The AFL is a joke.

The real morons were those involved with Indian Pacific Limited.
If they weren't so quick to jump into bed with the VFL solely to be the first,
we might have a very different league today.

Lol oh god... how on earth will it add to the marketing and tv marking when tasmania is already a footy state and already watches footy. Having a tasmanian team isnt gonna increase ratings, but it will take away members from existing clubs, and it will create a tiny team who bleeds money in the long term

We've had this discussion before. So I won't go through the same arguments again. But I am glad I've given you a reason to laugh. Thats something all of us need to do far more often.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Divisions will end up coming along. It'd probably need a 24-team comp though. So running off that.....

West
West Coast
Fremantle
WA3
Adelaide
Port Adelaide
Geelong
Western Bulldogs
Team 23

South
Tasmania
Melbourne
St Kilda
Collingwood
Hawthorn
Richmond
Carlton
Team 24

North
GWS
GC
Brisbane
Sydney
North Melbourne
Essendon
Canberra
QLD3

Top 2 from each division to finals, with the 2 remaining teams with the best record going in as well. Still 8-team finals system based on current system.
This will never work because of Australia's population. The talent pool is already worse than it was prior to GC and GWS's introductions plus there isn't enough money in sponsorship for teams in Tasmania, Canberra etc

The real morons were those involved with Indian Pacific Limited.
If they weren't so quick to jump into bed with the VFL solely to be the first,
we might have a very different league today.

Yeah. Saved Australian football in the state and turned it into a powerhouse at great risk to themselves.

I think karratha needs a team, and mt isa too. Oh, oh, and coober pedy is a must! The expansion process is completely flawed if they don't get an AFL club by 2020. Do you lot know people live there too?

:rolleyes:

FMD! 18 teams will be it for the foreseeable future. If anything, less is probable than more. Leagues that have 20 or more teams also have the population to support it. After 30 years, the Swans have only really just achieved a consistent base within the Sydney region. It'll take another 20-30 years, and a lot of hard work, good decisions, as well as opportunities to get the Giants to the same level too. Just because there are new clubs in new markets doesn't mean the job with regard to this phase of expansion is complete.

The AFL focus from here on will remain on the Sydney and south east queensland markets, where the potential for growth, both in a participation and a financial sense, is greatest.

Anywhere else is a pipe dream.

Leagues that have 20 or more teams also have the population to support it.

Currently the population catchment requirements to sustain an AFL team run well under the 500k per team basis. Theoretically you could sustain 40 AFL teams.

Currently Australia sustains about 40 professional football teams.
There is plenty of room for AFL to expand into and a number of cities available to centre that expansion upon.
For example Canberra, Newcastle, Woolllongong, Townsville.

Currently the population catchment requirements to sustain an AFL team run well under the 500k per team basis. Theoretically you could sustain 40 AFL teams.

There is plenty of room for AFL to expand into and a number of cities available to centre that expansion upon.

A league is only as good as its weakest club, to bring in weaker clubs weakens the league, the AFL should merge/move current clubs when introducing new teams, such as The Gold Coast Kangaroos, The Greater Western Sydney Bulldogs, and in the future The Tasmanian Hawks, and the Darwin Blues.

A league is only as good as its weakest club, to bring in weaker clubs weakens the league, the AFL should merge/move current clubs when introducing new teams, such as The Gold Coast Kangaroos, The Greater Western Sydney Bulldogs, and in the future The Tasmanian Hawks, and the Darwin Blues.

And dont forget the Canberra Bombers

All these cities have some form of professional football code based in them. Setting up whole new teams in them will cost an absolute fortune & need large financial support for many, many years into the future. Tasmania currently represents the best value for dollar with no resident home teams at present & two stadiums which will both soon cater for over 20k spectators. EOS:D.

I'm glad you mentioned this point. As you have pointed out Nm, WB and Hawthorn have survived the push to re-locate.

The philosophy of removing the weakest link only leaves you with a new weakest link. People continually mention the latest contender for the weakest link yet they completely ignore all those teams that have recovered.
Look at Hawthorn. Were touted for relocation built up Tasmania and their own club so successfully that they are again a powerhouse. Now we have other teams fighting for their scraps in Tasmania and NZ.

All these cities have some form of professional football code based in them.

Which shows they can support a professional football team.

Setting up whole new teams in them will cost an absolute fortune.

We all know that.

large financial support for many, many years into the future.

Yet GC produced an operating profit in their first year.

Tasmania currently represents the best value for dollar.

Tasmania represents an easy fit not to be confused with the best return.
Tasmania does not represent a significant increase in ratings.
In any case Tasmania needs a 20th AFL team to partner it.
The introduction of the GC and GWS is underwritten by the increase in ratings both new viewers and cumulative viewers.

I'm glad you mentioned this point. As you have pointed out Nm, WB and Hawthorn have survived the push to re-locate.

The philosophy of removing the weakest link only leaves you with a new weakest link. People continually mention the latest contender for the weakest link yet they completely ignore all those teams that have recovered.
Look at Hawthorn. Were touted for relocation built up Tasmania and their own club so successfully that they are again a powerhouse. Now we have other teams fighting for their scraps in Tasmania and NZ.

There will always be the weakest club, but my argument is a league is only as good as its weakest club. More clubs equals more players to fill more positions, scrapping clubs raises the bar of the minimum entry skill level of players into the AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back