F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He bottled the start and couldnt make any ground he would have come out behind perez and stayed back in 6th without the SC, the fact mclarens race pace with the upgrades on it was the quickest car proves this should have been another bottle job that was saved by a timely safety car.

On the flip side of the team, Gutting race for our boy oscar who drove brilliantly on the mediums and should have at least got a podium out of it. To come away with no points to another Sainz * up and an untimely SC is a little depressing I just hope Ferrari and Red Bull aren't getting a nice upgrade for imola so he can get a race or 2 with what seems like the fastest car on the grid atm.

It's the first time I've seen Oscar as being "hard to pass" - not just 'getting the elbows out', but deliberately driving sub-optimal lines through corners that also impede the driver behind. It's a skill he's going to need to develop if he wants to become a multiple race-winner or champion contender.

Alonso, Hamilton, Sainz and Perez all have this ability (Alonso perhaps goes too far on occasion when he's significantly ahead of where the AM should be). Verstappen will simply take the inside line, break too late and know his car can still make the corner - that's just bad luck to anyone outside.

I do wonder how much of McLarens pace was track specific (Miami had a lot of high speed corners which suits them).

Imola and Monaco will be interesting, particularly with whatever upgrades Ferrari bring to the table.

Will Joseph said post-race that the upgrade package should suit other tracks a lot better than it suited Miami.

Yep, having 5 drivers in the battle for wins would be great.
sddefault.jpg

Wonder what would have happened if Perez actually took out Max at turn 1.
"Carlos Sainz....congratulations on finishing 3rd today in the Miami GP. We heard during the race that you signed a new deal to line up alongside Max Verstappen at RBR for 2025, how are you feeling?"

He bottled the start and couldnt make any ground he would have come out behind perez and stayed back in 6th without the SC, the fact mclarens race pace with the upgrades on it was the quickest car proves this should have been another bottle job that was saved by a timely safety car.

On the flip side of the team, Gutting race for our boy oscar who drove brilliantly on the mediums and should have at least got a podium out of it. To come away with no points to another Sainz * up and an untimely SC is a little depressing I just hope Ferrari and Red Bull aren't getting a nice upgrade for imola so he can get a race or 2 with what seems like the fastest car on the grid atm.
spot on!

I don't agree that Lando bottled the start. He was just on the wrong side of the track and got held up by Checo and the 2 Ferrari's having to slow because of Checo into turn one whereas Oscar had a clean line up the inside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not confident on calling it a three way fight just yet as I think this was a bit of an aberration with the safety car. Reminds me of Ricciardo's last win where it turned out it was the exception rather than the norm.

Imola might be a better indicator of both Ferrari and McLaren.

However, anything that means Red Bull and Max actually have to work for it every once in a while is always good for the sport. And yes, I said the same thing during the Mercedes Hamilton years.

I don't agree that Lando bottled the start. He was just on the wrong side of the track and got held up by Checo and the 2 Ferrari's having to slow because of Checo into turn one whereas Oscar had a clean line up the inside.
Yeah he was unlucky with that, got lucky with the SC. Wouldn't say it completely balances out but in F1 with no closed pits, s**t happens.

I'm not confident on calling it a three way fight just yet as I think this was a bit of an aberration with the safety car. Reminds me of Ricciardo's last win where it turned out it was the exception rather than the norm.

Imola might be a better indicator of both Ferrari and McLaren.

However, anything that means Red Bull and Max actually have to work for it every once in a while is always good for the sport. And yes, I said the same thing during the Mercedes Hamilton years.
If you look at F1.com's data analysis (using AWS etc etc), RBR was behind McLaren in pace but Max was Max and got pole, was comfortably leading apart from his error and the SC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back