Draft Profile Father/Sons & Academy Selections 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton have father/sons ...

Liam Hickmott (unlikely)
Will Hickmott (maybe mid to late draft - tested well at combine)
Ben Silvagni (rookie list maybe late draft pick)
and saints still have very little sons

Well thats just as bad...Reading the article as well they largly left him to his own devices in Swan District...And they'll get him as priority just because of their zone.

At least with proper academies we put TIME and EFFORT and MONEY into it, and theres no guarantee the kids will make it!

We also have to prove we have put said effort into the kid too if I recall correctly.

GWS missed out on a couple because of this I think?

We also have to prove we have put said effort into the kid too if I recall correctly.

GWS missed out on a couple because of this I think?

Wouldnt be surprised honestly.

The academy programs were put into place to HELP teams that struggle to retain talent. Arguably, Sydney was the least requiring of it, but Brisbane, Suns and Giants all do.

And its not like its been a huge advantage for us. We've only managed two good players so far, Hipwood and Andrews, with guys like Keays playing for their careers next season, and Payne/Bellenden still untried.

But hey, lets just give everyone free access to kids they barely even have to put effort into.

Wouldnt be surprised honestly.

The academy programs were put into place to HELP teams that struggle to retain talent. Arguably, Sydney was the least requiring of it, but Brisbane, Suns and Giants all do.

And its not like its been a huge advantage for us. We've only managed two good players so far, Hipwood and Andrews, with guys like Keays playing for their careers next season, and Payne/Bellenden still untried.

But hey, lets just give everyone free access to kids they barely even have to put effort into.

Cameron was playing rugby union until year 10.

Personally I think expanding academy system to all clubs is a bad move. It will lead to too much inequity, with advantages not being correlated to investment. But I suppose that is true of the whole academy system.

I think the fairest way is to cut the academy discount to 10%, and let bids be matched by no more than 2 picks( including a future first if needed).

The Northern clubs made their beds, now they have to lie in it.

I’m not sure a kid like Nick Blakey was the idea behind the Northern Academies either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairly sure if Collingwood uses all 4 picks to match the bid then they have to use all 4 picks in the draft. AFL brought that rule in to try and prevent clubs trading down for points.
No. Clubs take as many draft picks into the draft as they have senior list vacancies. Once in the draft they can use those picks as they want. As long as they meet the rules for list sizes and picking up 3 new players, those picks can be used to match bids, select players or can be passed.

This year, the Pies have manipulated the system by creating a couple of temporary list vacancies, by delisting Broomhead and Murray with the plan of taking them in the rookie draft. I expect it will result in a rule change similar to what you are suggesting, and similar to the one that occured a couple of years ago when the bidding was first introduced which resulted in clubs only being able to take in the same number of picks as list vacancies.

No. Clubs take as many draft picks into the draft as they have senior list vacancies. Once in the draft they can use those picks as they want. As long as they meet the rules for list sizes and picking up 3 new players, those picks can be used to match bids, select players or can be passed.

This year, the Pies have manipulated the system by creating a couple of temporary list vacancies, by delisting Broomhead and Murray with the plan of taking them in the rookie draft. I expect it will result in a rule change similar to what you are suggesting, and similar to the one that occured a couple of years ago when the bidding was first introduced which resulted in clubs only being able to take in the same number of picks as list vacancies.
Nothing will change. The whole point of the academies is for clubs to develop players who would normally not play AFL. Why would the AFL try and make it harder for those players not to join the clubs that developed them?

Nothing will change. The whole point of the academies is for clubs to develop players who would normally not play AFL. Why would the AFL try and make it harder for those players not to join the clubs that developed them?

Because it *s up the draft when a club trades a first rounder for 4 third rounders .

They made it harder when they changed the rule to only being able to take the same number of draft picks as you had list vacancies, because they felt that it was giving a larger advantage than they wanted to give. I can see that happening again.

The Northern clubs made their beds, now they have to lie in it.

I’m not sure a kid like Nick Blakey was the idea behind the Northern Academies either.
A kid like Blakey was entirely the idea. Living in Sydney he very well could have been lost to another sport or just not developed at all. The Academies ensured this didn't happen

A kid like Blakey was entirely the idea. Living in Sydney he very well could have been lost to another sport or just not developed at all. The Academies ensured this didn't happen
Bollocks. He would be playing with Brisbane or North. There was no chance he would be lost to the game he’s played his entire life

Bollocks. He would be playing with Brisbane or North. There was no chance he would be lost to the game he’s played his entire life
You're right, with the Swans being in Sydney for close to 30 years Sydney is overflowing with talent from all the children of footballers and coaches we've had.

Haha ok.

I guess every single kid from a multicultural background in Melbourne is at a risk of being lost to soccer as well then.

Im already emotionally invested in seeing Mason Fletcher run around in the bombers no.31.

By the looks of it he is a good chance to be a rookie pickup for us unless a late bid comes at 60+ in the draft.
Opted not to nominate for this years draft.

Opted not to nominate for this years draft.
Yeah from hisbpoint of view its probably for the best.

Played bugger all footy this year and if he was on our rookie list he wouldnt even play much at VFL level due to where he is physically.

A year of consistent football as a 19yo in the TAC would probably be good for his confidence and development in the long run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back