Toast Favourite commentator calls

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember, back in September 1989, waking up on Sunday after the Prelim Final. I was a kid then and my sister and I said, "We're in the Grand Final" smiling like idiots.

We turned on the kitchen radio which was tuned into 3aw, playing back the highlights. It was the first time I heard:

"AaaYaaaaaaaabaaaaleeeettttt!!!"

Fond memories of the game and the day after. (RIP Dean Bailey, who steamed in over the top and bloddied Buddha's mouth in the first term)

Timmy McGraths call in the 2009 GF when Chapman kicked the goal would be up there with the best. McGraths falsetto shreek and then asking the commentators to do it again captured the moment and that game.
I did not know this was Timmy. Far out...Falsetto...More like one of the CATRARADI
This is probaly one that makes me smile more than any other when I hear it. Thinking of making it my ringtone. Will annoy the hell outa people at work but il laugh and smile about 50 odd times a day.

Cant remember who was commentating but in background after Chap kicked this goal, someones going off with a big "COMEON...COMEON THE CATS!!!"

A few of my favs.....
2007 GF 3rd Quarter - Huddo - "MILBARN..........OOOOORRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH CHAAAAAAAAPPMAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

End 2009 GF - Think was ABC - Hes been a Gun...HES BEEN A GUN THIS BLOKE...hes....been...A.....GUN!!!! Talking about Maxie.

2007 GF - Geelong up by 90+ points. Tim Lane - 'This is starting to blow out" - Vossy - "STARTING TO??????????"

My all time fav funniest - Sandy Roberts - Mid 90's StKilda V Port. "Well its finally Happened.....Picket On Peckett in the Pocket"

What "...he'll never forget it!!!"

I thought that was brilliant!

Sorry but I actually agree with Vinum Coupe on this one. I dont listen to the C10 Commentary for any of our GF's.

Huddos call of that piece of play was pretty poor. Jeez the work Varcoe did to get there end to end...the commentary was severley lacking.
I actually think C10 did a crappy job that entire day on that one.

Hawkins goals in the 3rd and the way he killed Reid in the 4th were in no way commentated rightly for the dominance he dished out and the importance of the moment. I mean, its the 4th Q in a tight GF for petes sake and Hawkins was unbelievable in that game and especially that part of the 4th, yet when he took his 3rd Contested mark in that 3 min period, Quartermain was just like..."Oh Hawkins Again"

As for Bartells goal from outside 50m to basically seal the game, not to mention the work from the players getting it to him and opening Pies up the way we did..."Two Hundred Thousand Eyeballs watching him...and....he....kicks it" Wow...jeez is that all.

Compare the commentary between Bartells Goal to Lenny Hayes in same spot in 2010.

Personally....I would gladly pay to have McAveny and Commeti and others (better special comments than Darcy and Lloyd) re-call our GF's with their take on it, and their individual way of calling.

Thank god for the selection of other commentary teams on dvd.

I did not know this was Timmy.]

Ian Cohen was the caller. Imagine him suddenly speaking in operatic tones.

Cohen: The ball in the goalsquare. Varcoe to CHAPPY!
McGrath: Yes!
Bews: COME ON!
CHAPPY! I've gone Ken Bruce! Say it with me boys! CHAPPY! CHAPPY!"
Cohen: Paul Chapman is a hero! I've gone Ken Bruce!
Chappy's got two!

Cohen: CHAPPEY Say it with me!

Bews/McGrath/Cohen: CHAPPPEEEEEEEEY!

Yeah yeah thats right. Sorry read it as Timny was the one saying it. Gotta get that as a ringtone one of my fav commentaries ever.

So Bewsie was the one saying Com eon....comeon the cats. Godd on him.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thank god for the selection of other commentary teams on dvd.

It still perplexes me why they left K-Rock out of the commentary options on the 2011 Grand Final DVD. I know they included it on the Blu-Ray one, but how f*cking hard would it have been to include the station, especially seeing that K-Rock had been made available on our two previous Premiership DVDs?

I assumed this thread having a new lease on life was a result of the "caressing it down someone's throat" line that Bruce used on Cyril the other day...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few of my favs.....

End 2009 GF - Think was ABC - Hes been a Gun...HES BEEN A GUN THIS BLOKE...hes....been...A.....GUN!!!! Talking about Maxie.

Stan Alves, from memory, about our Maxy.

It's been a few weeks since I heard Rex call the 07 GF, but I love his quip in the first quarter, when in the first ten minutes the Port crew have been getting into Gazza off the ball - something along the lines of "...well that's OK for now fellas, but you'll have his old man waitin' out in the carpark after the game to deal with." :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back