Fear of Flying

Remove this Banner Ad

Had four 5mg Valium 40mins before my last flight and two more 10mins after boarding...........did zero and may as well of had 20 red bulls (never had one in my life). Flipping completely off my lid at having no control I think.

That's weird they are meant to calm you rather than stimulate you.
Would be good if they could prescribe something stronger from people with this problem.

I had about 2 in my last flight at the airport and popped the other just before take off.
I was told I went white as a ghost during take off but they took the edge off for the rest of the flight.
As long as I didn't look at the mountains and the water over the bass straight out the window.

Only been on 4 trips so maybe if I got used to it I would be better.
Went to Sydney when I was 5, Melbourne when I was 10, Sydney when I was 15 and then Melbourne last year at 23.
It definitely started as I got older I think...

That's weird they are meant to calm you rather than stimulate you.
Would be good if they could prescribe something stronger from people with this problem.

Paradoxical rage reactions due to benzodiazepines occur as a result of an altered level of consciousness, which generates automatic behaviors, anterograde amnesia and uninhibited aggression. These aggressive reactions may be caused by a disinhibiting serotonergic mechanism.[3]
Paradoxical effects of benzodiazepines appear to be dose related, that is, likelier to occur with higher doses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradoxical_reaction

My partner used to be so scared to death of flying and would point blank refuse to get on a plane.

He used to say he would rather drive eg: from Adelaide to Cairns as there is just so much to see on the way - yeah right! Unfortunately that was not my idea of a great three week holiday, a week to get there a week to get back and a week there. I started putting some pressure on as I was sick of never going anywhere as a family if it wasn't in the car, and eventually he had hypnotherapy which was very successful. The first flight he took he took some valium with him as back up however, he didn't need them, now a few years later he has absolutely no fear at all, travels by himself, jumps at the chance to get away, and literally falls asleep the moment he sits down.

There is so much opportunity that comes from air travel, I would highly recommend someone with a real fear get some treatment.

I personally don't like air travel that much but I'm not overly scared of it, mainly just see it as a means to an end. Occasionally when it gets a bit bumpy i just look a the stewards and if they are going about their business as usual then there's nothing to worry about.

Yeah I might look into getting some help for, thanks for all the advice.
I think the fear stems from

- Not being in control, and once the doors close you are stuck on the flight (claustrophobia?)
- If something went wrong with the plane, there is nothing I can do and it most likely means death.
- Fear of heights
- I think about scenarios where the plane is going down and how it would feel in those final moments.

- Not being in control, and once the doors close you are stuck on the flight (claustrophobia?)
- If something went wrong with the plane, there is nothing I can do and it most likely means death.
- Fear of heights
- I think about scenarios where the plane is going down and how it would feel in those final moments.
And most of all, complete lack of understanding of the realities of airline flying. (not having a go, just meant that as a general statment).

In the vast majority of cases it doesn't mean anything close to death. Hell half the time it doesn't even end up as an inconvenience.

- Fear of heights

Wow are you my alias:eek:. Spot on how I feel.

Valium, Xanax does zero for me and I take a fair few, well I used to. Now I just sit there hunched over for most of the journey waiting for my demise. Similar to a Doggie supporter I guess.

I normally keep a close eye on the flight staff. They are a fairly good barometer on how the flight is going.

If I see this....

image.jpg

I'm fairly relaxed.

If I see this ......

image.jpg

My arse tends to clench a bit.

The chances of anything going wrong are so minute but in the unlikely event of an emergency, it pays to understand the emergency procedures, hence why you should pay attention to the safety demonstration on board your aircraft. Once that's done, sit back, relax and enjoy your flight.

Generally take off and landing is the most dangerous as others have said but you still have more chance of getting hit by a bus crossing a road than being involved in a serious air accident.
If the plane you're in crashes, you're most likely going to die. That's how I always view it.

0.00001% of air passengers died. That's crazy good! Compare that to about 160 people or so who die just on Victorian roads every year.
(2012) "In the last five years, the death risk for passengers in the United States has been one in 45 million flights, according to Arnold Barnett, a professor of statistics at M.I.T. In other words, flying has become so reliable that a traveler could fly every day for an average of 123,000 years before being in a fatal crash"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whenever there's a noise on a plane I always look at the stewardesses to see their reaction. One time recently there was a bang while we were descending and there were two sitting on their seats in front of me. They immediately looked at each other with worried looks, safe to say bricks were shat by me.

- Fear of heights

You seriously should, I was really surprised, I really thought there was no hope for my partner because he was a bit stubborn about it too, but a complete turnaround.

You might find it interesting but his fear stemmed from something quite similar, - not being in control and a bit claustrophobic being surrounded by people in close proximity and a fear that someone might vomit next to him and not being able to get away! He has never really been claustrophobic in any other situation though and definitely not afraid of heights.

Since the hypnotherapy he is a much better passenger in the car too.

Fair enough.

How did he handle a full nappy?

Full nappies. Ughhhh.

My one fear. Always sent a shiver up my spine when the missus said " Your turn ".

I still have my nappy changing gear if any expectant fathers are interested.

devo.jpg

I've improved as a flier. I still don't like it, but I relax a lot easier than I used to.

Flights within Australia I'm OK with. Perth to Melbourne for example is only 3-4 hours so a sandwich at the airport or a small snack and a drink on the flight and a movie, book, laptop etc. to keep me entertained is enough.

Longer flights like Sydney to LA or Perth to Dubai etc. do my head in. I'm average height and build but find economy seats on all carriers too uncomfortable to sleep. I occasionally get the odd half an hour in here or there but it's never continuous. No idea how people who are 6 foot or taller cope, or super fatties - but they tend to just spill over onto others.

Business class on the other hand... boy oh boy, wowee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back