Optus is the ars*hole of ISP's

Remove this Banner Ad

Their response from a comms perspective has been poor
All morning they relied on a nothing tweet acknowledging the issue. 101 comms would suggest someone senior needed to be on front foot.
I mean to be fair the people they needed to contact had no network to be contacted on

Really alarming to me that so many hospitals and public transport/trains are so reliant on Optus
the problems with hospitals were a bit overblown, facilities like that have pretty thorough internal BCPs, and if landlines go down they have a lot of other ways to communicate

it just seems like a mess to the public because they are trying to phone hospitals on external-facing Optus numbers and not getting through (which is definitely a problem, but not that big a deal as long as it's temporary and triple zero is working)

This. Want to walk in tomorrow and get my number ported over but I’m tipping it will be a busy day.
Definitely agree, I dont today or this week would be good to jump ship.

However its something that will happen given the latest fiasco with Optus.

If it wasnt such a head f**k to port your number from one carrier to another, I would be with Telstra today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fool me once, shame on you...... fool me twice SHAME ON ME

I'm buying my own place to WFH regionally next year - will be saying NO to Optus despite being a long term customer - absolute BS in their attitude and how their head honchos have addressed the nation and the businesses, companies and individuals who utilise their "services"

Thank God,the addicts and influencers, and faux daters can get back on and get their validation hit.
I was feeling for them the most.;
As soon as I realised Optus was down I switched off my phone and did not even take it to work.

On news.com there were photos of the younger generation just wandering around still with their phones in their hands.

/insertidontwannaliveonthisearthgifanymore

Telstra seems to be more reliable
Their mobile coverage also seems better especially in regional areas where Optus is hopeless once out of urban areas.

I can no longer tolerate Optus unreliability- is it relatively simple to switch providers? Given its telecommunications related I expect it to be a shambolic nightmare but anyone with experience in moving to Telstra interested in experiences
Mobile number porting is relatively pain free. Australia are close to world leading in the space. Fixed line number porting can take a bit more effort.
ISP porting is a PITA.

From the otways.
Everytime somebody arrived we asked them were they with telstra, if not just throw your phone away.
Amazed at people signing up for cheaper deals and not willing to accept yesterday's meltdown.

Drivers not knowing how to read a melways.
People without cash.
Banks not having cash.
A Hahahahaha
Suckers

It's so cool to be old fashioned and mature

Last edited:
I'm with Optus for phone and internet so it sucked but I don't really get the complete outrage. If the power was out for 6 hours or whatever people wouldn't melt down like they have being without internet for that time.

Pretty amazing from a business continuity perspective that Metro trains were completely shut down though. They deserve some grilling.

I'm with Optus for phone and internet so it sucked but I don't really get the complete outrage. If the power was out for 6 hours or whatever people wouldn't melt down like they have being without internet for that time.

Pretty amazing from a business continuity perspective that Metro trains were completely shut down though. They deserve some grilling.
i had 3 days without power in the 2021 storms and that was at the short end, some people were without power for weeks

IIRC I heard on the news that the amount of money that Optus would have to refund customers in terms of their mobile bill is about $2 and not worth refunding.

I actually would want the refund, simply because the admin cost to undertake this process to millions of customers would provide a bigger dent to Optus. Which is why I think they are not providing any refunds.

EDIT

I'm with Optus for phone and internet so it sucked but I don't really get the complete outrage.
When SOS made a trade with the Crows back in 2018 for Stocker in the AFL draft, he literally crashed Bigfooty.

Posters lost their mind for hours.

These utter shitcampaigners are now offering free extra data to impacted customers. Does anybody even use all the data they have on their plan as it is?

Optus has proudly taken the title off Qantas as the anal wart of Australian business.
The only thing that will make them change is people dumping them.

Was just at Aldi and a bloke bought two Aldi SIMs - he nodded when the cashier asked "you were with Optus?"

I reckon they are selling a pile of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back