What the hell is happening on our roads?

Remove this Banner Ad

The road toll this year seems to be off the scale and nobody can quite work out why. Are people driving more aggressively, are people more impatient or is it just a crook year?

is that compared to recent covid years or a longer trend?

COVID trended crashes down, much less travel going on.

Now travel patterns are returning to normal and it's reverting to the long-term trend. Also cars have plateaued at getting safer as people are buying fewer new cars waiting for affordable electric vehicles, driving their current ICE vehicle into the ground.

Is there a breakdown of the deaths anywhere? Like can I see the cause? Speeding/medical episode/stupidity etc? Based of what I see on the news a lot of these accidents are speed related. Cars getting faster and faster, safer and safer so people are pushing the limit. I see it every day. I drive the speed limit +2kms and still get people overtaking me and disappearing into the distance.

The problem, in my uneducated opinion is all these advancements in cars, but the roads are in the worst state I have ever seen them in. In my area for example rather than fix the roads the just drop the speed limit every couple of years. This no doubt angers people and they ignore the speed limit.

2 minutes of research suggests that nothing is really happening. Numbers were down during covid, now they've bounced back.

But I'm sure tik tok and rap music secretly have something to do with it.

COVID trended crashes down, much less travel going on.

Now travel patterns are returning to normal and it's reverting to the long-term trend. Also cars have plateaued at getting safer as people are buying fewer new cars waiting for affordable electric vehicles, driving their current ICE vehicle into the ground.
Cost of living rather than climate will be the issue for most...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've no evidence to back it up, but the number of needlessly large Yank Tanks on the roads these days can't be making things any better.

Nightmare driving in the dark and you get one of these on your tail with the lights blinding you from seeing what's in front.

The normal beams seem to be more powerful then the high beams on normal cars.

Nightmare driving in the dark and you get one of these on your tail with the lights blinding you from seeing what's in front.

Also represents the driver behind you having a smaller than average penis, and higher than normal intake of VB.

the rear vision mirror has a function to alleviate that

In my view, based on my observation rather than hard evidence, there has been a proliferation of:

- Motorists using their phones while driving

- Motorists entering space without any real regard as to whether someone is coming

When stopped in traffic and I happen to glance at the driver behind in the rearview mirror, I would say they are looking at their lap at least a quarter of the time, maybe half. Ironically, stationary is the time when you're most likely to get caught doing that, but the least dangerous time.

Yes those overhead cameras are coming in, but they're few and far between. People can generally get away with using their phone while at speed.

If you go to the Youtube channel Dash Cam Owners Australia, it seems the single biggest cause of crashes shown is people simply pulling out or pulling into another lane without checking if it's safe, or running a red light. They are both basically the same thing: putting you and your car in a spot without any regard for whether you will hit someone else in that spot.

What's changed? Inflation? Stress? Smartphones are more popular than ever?

Giant jacked up city driving 4wd normal headlights shining straight in normal height cars wind screens
Ban all of em

Remove this Banner Ad

Back