What the hell is happening on our roads?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently the driver has a history of mental illness. How was he allowed to have a bus licence if so?

What an odd comment.

About a third of the community have mental health issues, they don't drive like dickheads and use it as an excuse.

Police are saying some of the people will be hard to identify so the driver must have been travelling at some speed. The bus slid into a guard rail apparently. Tragic events.

Sounds like the deceased were trapped and they couldn't get them out from under the bus until the afternoon.

So sad.

Sounds like the deceased were trapped and they couldn't get them out from under the bus until the afternoon.

So sad.

It was so wild to me that there were news choppers overhead filming the bus being uprighted, not possibly having any idea what their cameras would pick up.

I think it tipped a fair way before it got to the curb / barrier, there are scrape marks on the road for quite a distance. If they were having trouble identifying people, I'm thinking, bus tips, all windows on left smash, people are thrown against the left side, the bus slides into the curb, gets a little airborne, enough for people to partially get thrown out the smashed windows and then get mashed between the bus and ground as it continues sliding / slams into the metal barrier.

You may be correct and full investigation will report. But my friend's opinion, based on the news photographs, was that the bus was skidding upright on the road until it hit the kerb. The bus flipped, landing the front left of the bus on top of the W-beam barrier. Any persons in that area would have been in big trouble.

Road safety barriers are designed for small vehicles with low centre of gravity. Idea is that if you veer into them you bounce off unharmed. The barriers are not so effective with vehicles that have a high centre of gravity such as a bus. In this case, it appears that there was a kerb 2 or 3 meters between the road and the barrier. This may have contributed to the serious of the incident.

As someone who was and is frequently on the road before, during, and post-covid (surely someone will take the bait), I haven't noticed any difference in driver behaviour.

Aussies love to whinge about 'yank tanks' on social media for no apparent reason. If there was an Ashes of whinging, we'd smash the poms.

Travelling on a Melbourne’s Western Fwy a lot recently I’m just wondering when then new signs “stay right unless overtaking” are going to be installed?
I had no idea!

In all seriousness though I really wish the rules became incredibly strict for those caught driving whilst looking at their phone.
It should be a bigger penalty than even Driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs as it’s basically driving with your eyes closed.
Not saying the former is safer but we really have to go hard on this I attend car accidents and it’s usually the cause.
The amount of cars you see drifting from lane to lane and so forth is bloody terrifying these days.

I know it will never happen but I’ve always thought taking serial offenders for speeding etc should be lumped into a vehicle and taken to the scene of a Motor vehicle accident and given a reality check just to see how horrendous it is.

In all seriousness though I really wish the rules became incredibly strict for those caught driving whilst looking at their phone.
It should be a bigger penalty than even Driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs as it’s basically driving with your eyes closed.
Not saying the former is safer but we really have to go hard on this I attend car accidents and it’s usually the cause.
The amount of cars you see drifting from lane to lane and so forth is bloody terrifying these days.

I know it will never happen but I’ve always thought taking serial offenders for speeding etc should be lumped into a vehicle and taken to the scene of a Motor vehicle accident and given a reality check just to see how horrendous it is.
It's the same here. I finally get to overtake someone driving like a chiefhead and notice they're looking at their lap whilst veering into adjacent lanes. The other obvious giveaway is when a light goes green and the chiefhead up front doesn't move.

good one. most older people are either completely oblivious to nearly causing a crash or are of the opinion that, despite clearly being in the wrong, it's the other person who should be apologising for getting in their way.

I like the 'It's cause older drivers are better than younger drivers' smugness.

People are obsessed with these castle-like SUVs, with teeny tiny windows and all these active safety features like auto-braking, lane departure warning, etc.

I say it's leading to a complacent attitude which I would describe as: 'My car is safe because it's big with twenty airbags and all the new safety features - it'll even brake if someone steps in front of the car.' That feature doesn't help if you're a selfish pig who changes lanes or pulls out without looking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are obsessed with these castle-like SUVs, with teeny tiny windows and all these active safety features like auto-braking, lane departure warning, etc.

I say it's leading to a complacent attitude which I would describe as: 'My car is safe because it's big with twenty airbags and all the new safety features - it'll even brake if someone steps in front of the car.' That feature doesn't help if you're a selfish pig who changes lanes or pulls out without looking.
I think it's pretty obvious that people drive these oversized cars because they know that they'll never be able to afford the huge homes their forebears could, so go for the biggest, most expensive cars they can find instead.

So basically, it's boomers who are at fault for any decline in driving skills. Thanks boomers.

I think it's pretty obvious that people drive these oversized cars because they know that they'll never be able to afford the huge homes their forebears could, so go for the biggest, most expensive cars they can find instead.

So basically, it's boomers who are at fault for any decline in driving skills. Thanks boomers.
I agree that the shiny new SUV is the new quarter-acre block. Can't have a family without an SUV, can we?

Nothing says R***t'ard more than an SUV in the city.

Things I've noticed over the past few years - a lot more red light running, and I mean a LOT.
Drivers constantly looking down at their phone, whether on a suburban street or doing 110 on the Ring Road. See this daily.
Our son is on his L's at the moment and he/we get tailgated almost every time he drives. (and he drives at the speed limit) Usually by a 40 - 50 year old, male or female, who should know better. Seems the L plates are a dickhead magnet.

Things I've noticed over the past few years - a lot more red light running, and I mean a LOT.
Drivers constantly looking down at their phone, whether on a suburban street or doing 110 on the Ring Road. See this daily.
Our son is on his L's at the moment and he/we get tailgated almost every time he drives. (and he drives at the speed limit) Usually by a 40 - 50 year old, male or female, who should know better. Seems the L plates are a dickhead magnet.

I remember it happening all the time on my P's.

Once I was off my P's suddenly it wasn't happening as much.

As someone who was and is frequently on the road before, during, and post-covid (surely someone will take the bait), I haven't noticed any difference in driver behaviour.

Aussies love to whinge about 'yank tanks' on social media for no apparent reason. If there was an Ashes of whinging, we'd smash the poms.
Not bait taking but nah. General common sense says people drove alot less for 2-3 years and are out of practise, plus we didnt make more capacity but we got more people.

Traffic and general road behaviour is anecdotally worse than pre covid, youd be the first person ive seen say otherwise.

Im sure this discussion has been had on the other traffic thread but SUVs are a broad term. My car is technically classified as a city sized SUV (and from memory is the most popular sized and type car on the road). Got a kid, its convenient for storage of s**t and getting him in and out. No doubt the selfish driver attitude is an issue but there is surely a distinction between a Rav 4 and a Prado.

100%.

Remember starting out driving it was so rare to see someone run a red light. See it almost daily- on way to work this morning, I just got thru on the amber- the car several car lengths behind me ran it. :rolleyesv1:

Heaps of traffic on the roads .
More uber drivers on the road too ,most of their cars have dents all over them .
On Instagram I got an ad for a survey from the Monash Accident Research Centre seeking opinions from drivers in the gig economy. I think they're trying to tease out answers on whether gig economy drivers feel pressured to take risks due to their earnings being task-based rather than time-based.

Surely there are a lot more cars per capita these days, and the increased traffic could be leading to frustration. On that ABC show 'Back in Time for Dinner', it said that at some point in the 1950s, only one in ten Australian households (not people) had a car. These days you'd struggle to find someone who reaches their twenty-first birthday without a car, or a married or de facto couple that has only one car between them.

On Instagram I got an ad for a survey from the Monash Accident Research Centre seeking opinions from drivers in the gig economy. I think they're trying to tease out answers on whether gig economy drivers feel pressured to take risks due to their earnings being task-based rather than time-based.

Surely there are a lot more cars per capita these days, and the increased traffic could be leading to frustration. On that ABC show 'Back in Time for Dinner', it said that at some point in the 1950s, only one in ten Australian households (not people) had a car. These days you'd struggle to find someone who reaches their twenty-first birthday without a car, or a married or de facto couple that has only one car between them.

I see so much on the road that's silly .
I was driving to work so many on their phones .
One day this guy ,One hand his phone looking where to go one hand on the wheel.

One was on their phone behind me I drove off when the light went green.
I look in the rearview mirror half a K up the road they still there holding up traffic ..WTF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back