Fergus nearing a return

Remove this Banner Ad

ferguswatts

Debutant
Suspended
Nov 6, 2004
Other Teams
Crows!!
The big ferg has been named on the emergency list...ahead of ladhams, van berlo, mark stevens, scott stevens i might add. He is back. He will be playing within 2 weeks and if he can start to shine a little bit this year, he will be in for a huge year next year. A big step for the AFC right now.

ferguswatts said:
The big ferg has been named on the emergency list...ahead of ladhams, van berlo, mark stevens, scott stevens i might add. He is back. He will be playing within 2 weeks and if he can start to shine a little bit this year, he will be in for a huge year next year. A big step for the AFC right now.
Hope you're right, as I think it's time he got some action at AFL level and was given a bit of latitude to see what he's capable of. Our forward line is a mess at the moment and we desperately need a target. No guesses needed as to where our recruiting focus is needed at the end of this year.

afc9798 said:
Hope you're right, as I think it's time he got some action at AFL level and was given a bit of latitude to see what he's capable of. Our forward line is a mess at the moment and we desperately need a target. No guesses needed as to where our recruiting focus is needed at the end of this year.

Its been our focus since 1998. Look what we have got to show for it. Ian Perrie is now our number one forward. :(

ferguswatts said:
Good to hear, like his attitude when playing , good to see a bit of mongrel , just needs to find more of the ball, but has good potential.

afc9798 said:

You mean the same place it has been focused for the past 6 years, on recruiting a quality marking forward. Let's just hope Fanta can pick up another Ian Perrie. :eek:

SpringChoke said:
You mean the same place it has been focused for the past 6 years, on recruiting a quality marking forward. Let's just hope Fanta can pick up another Ian Perrie. :eek:

More importantly, lets hope we dont waste picks on 'second hand AFL discards' (Fitzgerald, Hewitt, S Stevens).

SpringChoke said:

I said focused, not looking for miracles that don't exist. Not sure who's out of contract, other than Fevola, but there's gotta be someone out there. There's this guy from Sydney who can play up forward, Scott Stevens.....oh hang on a minute....

afc9798 said:
I said focused, not looking for miracles that don't exist. Not sure who's out of contract, other than Fevola, but there's gotta be someone out there. There's this guy from Sydney who can play up forward, Scott Stevens.....oh hang on a minute....
We must dangle huge carrots in front of Fevola!

afc9798 said:

:D

ferguswatts said:

I hope you're right. I will watch the Port V Eagles game on ABC TV this arvo to see how he is going.

afc9798 said:
We should have a look at Playfair from the cattery.. he played an awwsome game last night. Has a heap of potential.. his kicking is a bit suspect though :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jerome said:
I hope you're right. I will watch the Port V Eagles game on ABC TV this arvo to see how he is going.
Actually looks very good so far for the eagles , only 75% through the first quater, but none the less he looks quiet composed now; looks very much a well developing player. Good stuff.

dA Crow said:
Actually looks very good so far for the eagles , only 75% through the first quater, but none the less he looks quiet composed now; looks very much a well developing player. Good stuff.

its ********ing down so we'll take that into account, but ferg is no where near afl level, long term prospect. None of his goals so far have come from a contested marking contest. Knights too doesnt have afl body or disposal. Really these guys are 18-19 so cant expect too much. Doesnt mean NC shouldnt be playing the guys that are 20ish and above, with the odd youngster like VB thats made good progress as well.

Watts just hobbled off of the ground at Alberton with a suspected injured ankle.

Came back on shortly after, looks ok. Did get run down by Nathan McDowall tho ... (he's not exactly uber quick, in case you're wondering ;) )

outback jack said:
its ********ing down so we'll take that into account, but ferg is no where near afl level, long term prospect. None of his goals so far have come from a contested marking contest. Knights too doesnt have afl body or disposal. Really these guys are 18-19 so cant expect too much. Doesnt mean NC shouldnt be playing the guys that are 20ish and above, with the odd youngster like VB thats made good progress as well.

He took a couple of good marks considering it's a wet day. From what I saw I was quite impressed with him and his workrate was good. If our forwardline is dysfunctional again, he should get a run next week.

I don't think you can say he is nowhere near an AFL-level, long term prospect.

Today Fergus reminded me of the SANFL game in Round 1 where Port played South, i watched this mainly to have a look at VB and Thompson, both players especially Thompson impressed me because no matter where they were they had the ability to find the ball for the first time today Ferg showed that ability, if one of Welsh, Perrie or Hentshel has another off game tonight than they might find Ferg in their place next week. Also today confirmed for me that if we're going to play him it has to be at CHF he is a natural there.

just maybe said:
He took a couple of good marks considering it's a wet day. From what I saw I was quite impressed with him and his workrate was good. If our forwardline is dysfunctional again, he should get a run next week.

I don't think you can say he is nowhere near an AFL-level, long term prospect.

sorry you misunderstood me. i mean hes not near afl level atm. And is a long term prospect for us instead. I think he will make it, but has a long way to go.

Ferg was very good today and he is coming along nicely. He took some real strong marks in some very ordinary conditions. This is probably the best game I have seen him play for the Eagles.

He looks to be more of a burst player rather than a 4 quarter consistent performer. He definetly likes the freedom and plays his best footy at CHF. The reason AFC plays him deep in the forward line is because we need someone there that attacks the contest as strongly as Watts does.

After the struggle that the likes of Perrie, Hentschel, Bock and Welsh put up tonight, I wouldn'tmind seeing Watts come in next week for one of these blokes. Watts is still pretty raw and still a fair way away from being AFL regular even for a side like us who are crying out for a key forward.

Stiffy_18 said:
After the struggle that the likes of Perrie, Hentschel, Bock and Welsh put up tonight, I wouldn'tmind seeing Watts come in next week for one of these blokes. Watts is still pretty raw and still a fair way away from being AFL regular even for a side like us who are crying out for a key forward.
I think after tonights game he should at least be ahead of Bock - in fact should have been given the nod tonight!

Hentschell seems to be down on confidence - either play him down back or back at Woodville.

Nige_Bix said:
I think after tonights game he should at least be ahead of Bock - in fact should have been given the nod tonight!

Hentschell seems to be down on confidence - either play him down back or back at Woodville.

We need Hentschel up and firing so I'd play him down back, where he can get his confidence back.

If Kenny doesn't come up this week he might just have to stand Reiwoldt next Friday night.

If Lance Franklin who is shorter and lighter than Watts can get a game with the Hawks I don't see why the duchess of york can't be given a game too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back