FFA Cup Final – Adelaide Utd v Perth Glory Dec 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you ask this in this thread for.
If you think that this thread is inappropriate for the question then put it in one that is. This thread is about Soccer isn't it?

Last edited:

Look start your own thread if you want some rules explained about the sport or go away. It's tiresome and you'll cop a ban keeping it up.

Look start your own thread if you want some rules explained about the sport or go away. It's tiresome and you'll cop a ban keeping it up.
Thanks I will, BTW my question had nothing to do with the rules.

Plenty of empty seats and a pretty NSL vibe to this whole thing. I really can't see this being too exciting or worthwhile. All this malarky of it being like the FA Cup is just unrealistic – there's a gulf in difference between playing a club who'll get 40,000 in England and one that averages 9,000 in Australia. I don't know. It's good to see a proper cup though and I like how small clubs'll host A-League sides. The Tuesday night games are good too.

Like the trophy and logo

Dislike the fact this won't be on FTA - massive own goal from the FFA

There will be no replays (was to be expected in such a big country) - extra time and penalties if needed.

Final venue hasn't been decided yet along with ACL qualification.

Wellington will participate in the comp.

If a non A-League team plays an A-League team it will be at the non-A-League team's ground

Gate takings go to the home team (should be shared 50-50) except in the final where it all goes to the FFA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the trophy and logo

Dislike the fact this won't be on FTA - massive own goal from the FFA

There will be no replays (was to be expected in such a big country) - extra time and penalties if needed.

Final venue hasn't been decided yet along with ACL qualification.

Wellington will participate in the comp.

If a non A-League team plays an A-League team it will be at the non-A-League team's ground

Gate takings go to the home team (should be shared 50-50) except in the final where it all goes to the FFA.

All sounds about right for a new competition that needs to find its feet first.

The one thing that I found to be a negative is that the final will be played on a Tuesday night apart from that I'm fine with everything else.

All sounds about right for a new competition that needs to find its feet first.

The one thing that I found to be a negative is that the final will be played on a Tuesday night apart from that I'm fine with everything else.
SBS should've at least got the final and gate-takings should be 50-50 between clubs (maybe with the exception of non-AL v AL)

Tbh I don't want the final on Australia day considering it will clash with the cricket every year. From next season onwards (when there is no Asian cup) it should be the night before Aus day and available on FTA.

SBS should've at least got the final and gate-takings should be 50-50 between clubs (maybe with the exception of non-AL v AL)

Tbh I don't want the final on Australia day considering it will clash with the cricket every year. From next season onwards (when there is no Asian cup) it should be the night before Aus day and available on FTA.

SBS will stuff it up like they have the A-League straight off the bat, a cup comp like this should wait to see if its a success first if it can attract a big name major sponsor to attract bigger prize money and maybe get one of the commercial networks on board considering it will most likely only broadcast 10-15 matches. I'm quite happy for it to be on FOX for the first few seasons.

Home team should get all the gate takings, that what it's all about after all bridging the gap between the smaller and bigger clubs, having theses smaller clubs hopefully hosting an A-League side one day will do wonders for their coffers.

I definitely agree there are some things that can/should be done better but IMO, it's a great starting point and long overdue.

No doubt that changes and revisions can be made over time as well (they'll also need to revisit the seeding if there are any expansion teams in the coming years).

Outside of the 10 A-League teams, the final allocation for the Round of 32 comprises:

Football NSW – 7 Clubs
Football Federation Victoria – 4 Clubs
Football Queensland – 4 Clubs
Football West – 2 Clubs
NNSW Football – 2 Clubs
Capital Football – 1 Club
Football Federation SA – 1 Club
Football Federation Tasmania – 1 Club
Northern Territory will participate in 2015 FFA Cup

Interesting to see Wellington will play all 'home' games in Australia. Also, great to see the FFA will help cover travel for clubs - should help a lot of those grass roots teams make the most of this opportunity.
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/2014-FFA-Cup-FAQs/86835
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/2014-FFA-Cup-FAQs/86835

I think it will also help grow the code around the country - potentially teams from regional areas will get to host A League teams in ties later in the competition. Growing up in Ballarat, I would have loved to see an A League team 'come to town' to play the Red Devils (local team in the Vic state comp). I reckon a lot of casual fans would show up as well just due to the attraction of having a professional sporting team in the city.

Clubs like Wollongong and the Fury who both are pushing to try and get admittance to the league can also use it as a way to further demonstrate to the FFA that they can draw crowds and have enough local interest to be sustainable and viable ventures.

I actually like this. A-League sides don't have much to gain by it. I'd rather see it invested in youth clubs. But then again, those clubs'll continue to rort 14-year olds and make them pay $4,000 a season to play soccer. It's all a distraction from the major issue of grassroots soccer in the country: no funding

Like that they are planning to have the FFA cup final on a weekend rather than Aus day from v2 onwards.

Also seeing the AFC has a regulation that only one "cup winner" can qualify for the ACL, I'd hate to see the FFA cup winner given the spot in expense of the Grand Final winner. However I'd like to see a two-legged playoff between the FFA cup winner and Grand Final winner (if both don't finish top two in the A-League season proper) for that "cup" ACL spot.

This is pointless in Australia for the following reasons:
1. The vast majority of clubs below the A-League don't have the funds/resources/quality of players to make any sort of cup run.
2. The vast majority of people don't know/give a s**t/have even heard of most clubs outside the A-League.

I know the Victorian Premier League clubs and other Vic clubs, but couldn't name 5 other clubs outside Vic.

It works in England because even lower leagues have massive supporter bases and following, and a lot of Championship sides have decent squads that can challenge the lower EPL clubs on their day.

I'd like the idea, but unfortunately the comp will be lame imo.

Also all matches on a Tuesday is rubbish, should be spread out between Tuesday and Wednesday.

For example the semi instead of one tuesday and the other a fortnight later, it should be one on tuesday and the other the following night.

Top non league team In the FFA cup should gain promotion replacing the bottom placed club in the A-League

This is pointless in Australia for the following reasons:
1. The vast majority of clubs below the A-League don't have the funds/resources/quality of players to make any sort of cup run.
2. The vast majority of people don't know/give a s**t/have even heard of most clubs outside the A-League.

I know the Victorian Premier League clubs and other Vic clubs, but couldn't name 5 other clubs outside Vic.

It works in England because even lower leagues have massive supporter bases and following, and a lot of Championship sides have decent squads that can challenge the lower EPL clubs on their day.

I'd like the idea, but unfortunately the comp will be lame imo.

i hate campaigners like you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back