FFA Cup Final – Adelaide Utd v Perth Glory Dec 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Marden was ******* freezing last night. Good to get the win. Kamau again looked good. Captain Boogers looked alright, though we've been fooled like this before. Hopefully he takes this form into the season proper.

Glory up 2-0 through Keogh and Nicholls with a minute or so to go. In to the next round! :thumbsu:

EDIT-A Keogh double sorry.

Really think Keogh will be quality for you guys. Reckon he could be a smokey for the Golden Boot.

also happy to see st albans go through

My local team, very happy for them with that result. With no Jets to cheer on, I'll be rooting for them. If they host their next round game, I might go :thumbsu:

Marden was ******* freezing last night. Good to get the win. Kamau again looked good. Captain Boogers looked alright, though we've been fooled like this before. Hopefully he takes this form into the season proper.
He was actually pretty decent aswell last season, he gets so much undeserved hate

Kamau and Mabil will put the fright into several defenders this year. Only issue is how light they both are. Was a good night at Marden, very cold but I like seeing A League teams on suburban grounds.

Syd Utd and Melb City both live streaming their games

hopefully we work out something similar with Bayswater next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was a crap end to what was an pretty boring match.

I thought City did well to get back into the game in the second half and equalise only to have a clear offside not called then a penalty called. (Which I thought wasn't one to begin with) Then to top it off they get another penalty 2 minutes later (Which was a penalty)

Strange finish. Would have been nice if it went to penalties but congrats to Sydney

3-1 to Sydney FC.

edit: also apparently it's 5 degrees. BS, it's like -3 * me it's cold, my toes are frozen!

How seriously is this being taken by a league teams, the league and the broadcasters? Not very, and missing a big chance in my view.

Looks like the fans are taking it more seriously then the FFA, broadcasters thought.

I think Fox only struck a deal this season to broadcast 10 matches across the 5 rounds so I'm guessing we'll see a couple more broadcasted in the round of 16 then most likely all the quarter finals, semis and the final of course.

I think it needs a bit of tweaking, they should introduce a round of 44 with another 22 non league teams added.

July-August: First Round, 22 matches with 44 state league teams.
September: Second Round, 16 matches with 22 state league winners from Round 1 plus 10 A-League Clubs.
October: Third Round, 8 matches
November: Quarter Finals
December: Semi Finals
January (Australia Day): Final

All draws to be random like the FA Cup (no seeding).

Fox/SBS to broadcast one match from each matchday. (ie as it is now there would have been 4 broadcast matches in the first round with around the grounds updates of simultaneous matches)

The added round at the beginning will give more small clubs the chance to qualify and to play against teams from interstate.

The later start for the A-League teams will encourage them to take it more seriously with only one pre season Cup match, this will allow players to get used to playing midweek fixtures.

The increased number of matches during the Australian football season would allow the cup to become more prominent, with the warming evenings and increased publicity attracting larger crowds.

Matches to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday nights at the home grounds of the lower league teams when drawn against an A-League team (stadiums permitting). All matches from the Third Round onwards between A-League teams to be played at the regular home grounds.

And of course, the winner to be given an AFC Champions League playoff spot.

That's what I'd like to see anyway, thoughts?

I think it needs a bit of tweaking, they should introduce a round of 44 with another 22 non league teams added.

July-August: First Round, 22 matches with 44 state league teams.
September: Second Round, 16 matches with 22 state league winners from Round 1 plus 10 A-League Clubs.
October: Third Round, 8 matches
November: Quarter Finals
December: Semi Finals
January (Australia Day): Final

All draws to be random like the FA Cup (no seeding).

Fox/SBS to broadcast one match from each matchday. (ie as it is now there would have been 4 broadcast matches in the first round with around the grounds updates of simultaneous matches)

The added round at the beginning will give more small clubs the chance to qualify and to play against teams from interstate.

The later start for the A-League teams will encourage them to take it more seriously with only one pre season Cup match, this will allow players to get used to playing midweek fixtures.

The increased number of matches during the Australian football season would allow the cup to become more prominent, with the warming evenings and increased publicity attracting larger crowds.

Matches to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday nights at the home grounds of the lower league teams when drawn against an A-League team (stadiums permitting). All matches from the Third Round onwards between A-League teams to be played at the regular home grounds.

And of course, the winner to be given an AFC Champions League playoff spot.

That's what I'd like to see anyway, thoughts?

Agree on the winner gaining an ACL spot (or if the same team does the double, having the runner up get the spot). Would be a great incentive to try and make it relevant for A League teams.

Obviously, the main aim should be to ensure the competition is sustainable and viable to run over time - with that in mind, hopefully the prize money will increase as the competition gets stronger. I think I remember reading there was only $120,000 in the pool of prize money and the eventual winner gets $40,000 of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back