FireBird's Top 18 Mock

Remove this Banner Ad

FireBird

Draftee
Dec 20, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
1. Melbourne [Jack Watts]: With the departure of Neitz they need a successor. Melbourne are lacking key forwards and Watts is the perfect fit, arguably the best of the draft pool. Quick, good leap, good hands, good disposal just seems hard for Melbourne to pick anybody but Jack Watts

2. West Coast [Daniel Rich]: Explosive ball gathering midfielder just seems like an all round midfielder. Good at clearances, massive penetrating left foot, quick and clean hands, good overhead mark knows how to go forward and kick a goal could very well round off the Eagles new future midfield of Masten, Ebert and Rich which will be a very formidable trio. Naitanui
also in contention but it seems most likely Rich will remain at WA.

3. Fremantle [Nicholas Naitanui]: A freak this guy could become an absolute star and become a freak like Franklin or he could turn out to be a flop. Fremantle need a ruckman to accompany Sandilands, Naitanui's athletic side of the game is what makes him so appealing his second efforts are also very good, his handballing is also extremely good very clean and quick. Needs a couple of years to develop his footy smarts, skills and to learn how to read the play better. Fremantle are taking a gamble here they could get a gun or a spud but they will probably back Naitanui. Don't count out Tyrone Vickery if Fremantle decide to play it safe.

4. Port Adelaide [Tyrone Vickery]: A very good ruckman who looks like nearly the complete package I can't see Port not taking Vickery unless Naitanui slips to their pick. Vickery's strengths are his tap work, marking and ability to go forward and kick a few goals ala David Hille which is invaluable. With Lade getting on and with Port not having a standout youngster coming through the ranks Vickery is their man.

5. Essendon [Steele Sidebottom]: Yes, not Hurley Essendon's backline is not in dire strife they have Ryder and Pears and I'm sure a good key back will be their about for pick 23. Sidebottom can just place the cream on the Bombers young midfield. A pure footballer pace is not on his side but his disposal, clearence work ability to kick goals will sway Essendon. His TAC grannie will help too.

6. Carlton [Hamish Hartlett]: The Blues will be wary of Hurley's 3.11sec 20m sprint and steer clear and pick a safe choice in Hartlett a classy midfielder with good pace can round off that very good young midfield. Ziebell also a chance for this pick.

7. Brisbane [Jack Ziebell]: Brisbane need midfielders and they will go for the best remaining midfielder left which will be Ziebell good attacking midfielder with footy smarts Brisbane will happily pick Ziebell and be on their way.

8. Richmond [Lewis Johnston]: Johnston and Reiwoldt Tiger fans would love it. Johnston is quick, has very good hands from what I've seen his disposal is a bit erratic but his pro's will outweigh the cons will take time to develop.

9. Kangaroos [Micheal Hurley]: Kangaroos need a key defender I can't see Firrito & Gibson winning them a flag they need a true KP backmen since Hansen is starting to look more like a utility they will be stoked that Hurley is available. Good kick, good mark no real deficiencies except his pace. Trengove also a chance but I doubt Kangaroos will risk a guy who seems to be injury prone. They'll play it safe with Hurley.

10. Adelaide [Thomas Swift]: Adelaide will be eager to add to their young midfield brigade since Goodwin and co are ageing. They will be dissapointed that one of Hartlett/Ziebell/Sidebottom did not slide but Swift will do. Good in and under type of player with good disposal, good overhead mark has missed some games due to injury. Good fit for Adelaide.

11. Collingwood [Matthew DeBoer]: Collingwood need clearance midfielders not outside midfielders. DeBoer is the only one really left, good at the clearances, knows how to find the ball, good work ethic, reasonable pace, his disposal is a bit iffy but the Pies will take him at 11 unless one of Ziebell/Hartlett/Sidebottom slip.

12. Sydney [Shaun McKernan]: With Sydney's old forward line some new blood is needed. McKernan has strong hands, good disposal knows where the big sticks are ready made footballer height and weight wise won't be pushed around can also go into the ruck where his tap work is good only real downside is his pace.

13. St.Kilda [Jackson Trengove]: Saints need a young defender to take over Hudgeton they will be rapt that Trengove is available and take him. Knows how to read the play, has pace good hands, can go into the ruck no real deficiencies if not for injuries would be pushing top 6. Saints will be happy.

14. Bulldogs [Ayce Cordy]: Lock it in Eddie. Ruckman good pace, good tapwork average disposal, alright mark a bit of gamble seeing as his a stick. But the potential is there for the Bulldogs to mould.

15. Geelong [Aaron Cornelius]: The Cats need a forward, they found out the hard way. There seems to be questions floating around Hawkins they need a second tall forward anyway and Cornelius fits the bill. Good pace, reads the play very good contested mark, good skills but his goalkicking can be iffy at times.

16. Hawthorn [Jordan Lisle]: Hawks would like to have another key defender in the wings, when Croad went down it looked like they were in trouble until Hodge took his game to another level. He is a good contested mark, acceptable pace can be thrown in the forward line if need be good skills just looks a bit awkward on the turn.

17. Melbourne [Mitch Robinson]:An outside mid with good skills and that can break the lines, Robinson it their man. Good mark, good disposal by foot and hand never stops trying after taking Watts at 1 they will go for the best mid remaining Mitch Robinson.

18. West Coast [Chris Yarren]: Local talent McKinley, LeCras and Yarren lurking up forward will be hard to stop, pretty much going best available Yarren has all the tools required to be an AFL star his only real worry is his application if not for that he would be much higher.

Feel free to pick it apart :p

Re: FireBird's Top 10 Mock

Interesting what you say about Vickery and the Dockers.

In a perfect world I think the Dockers would take Vickery. Would fill the void of that ruckman/forward that has been missing since Justin Longmuir. But he is a Vic Metro tall and they have been burnt badly by them in recent years. No guarantee that Carlton won't come knocking in a few years time with a fistful of Visy dollars.

In summary - there is 0% chance that Vickery is a Docker.

id be much more interested in seeing a top 60

The top 10 is almost about throwing the same names around, you can really see what the thoughts behind a mock draft are like in the later rounds.
I've been messing around with a mock draft recently, it actually takes a long time. (Trying to do up to pick 50)

3. Fremantle [Nicholas Naitanui]:

Fremantle need midfielders more than they need a ruck, they lost Bell, Carr as their main guys and they need to move up the ladder not develop a freak don't be surprised if they don't take nick, Ziebell or Hartlett I feel.

Would Rather a 1st Round Mock

Good job:thumbsu:

I think the first two are probably set in stone, with Seaby staying at the Eagles (therefore WC probably won't pick Naitanui).

Pick 3's an interesting one. I think most people assume Freo will just pick Naitanui if he's there, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them select Vickery with pick 3 over Naitanui, as he is more of a 'complete' package at this stage. Though the WA factor of Naitanui may be the decisive factor....

I agree with the fact you've left Hurley out of the top 5. Clubs will be put off by his DC results. I'm sure he'll get picked up somewhere as he has great football ability, but could even slide past the 1st round. I can see Essendon going for Sidebottom or Blease with this pick...

I think Carlton are desperate for a KP player at pick 6, and are likely to consider Johnstone, Trengrove, and McKernan (possibly in that order)...

Brisbane are likely to go for a MF here, and might pick up either Blease or Sidebottom depending on which one Eseendon picks. Ziebell could also be a chance here too...

Richmond will be after a KP player and will most likely look at Johnstone, Trengrove and McKernan here (probably dependent on who Carlton picks).

I think North will probably take the best player available with pick 9, whether KP or MF...

Adelaide would be keen on Lewis Johnstone at pick 10 if still available, or maybe a quick/skillful MF like Sam Blease. Or another local boy Schoenmakers...

Its a tough draft to read though, as there are obviously quite a few good players in a range of different positions, just depends on what each club wants really...:)

If Fremantle did not have a reputation as awful traders/drafters I think they would ideally take Vickery/Top midfielder. But with this potential freak around you'd think if they stuff it up and don't pick Naitanui and he turns into a freak many Fremantle supporters will have pitch forks in their hands. :p Still Palmer, Schammer, Ibboston, Mayne are all good their young midfield is ok. Can get better but you'd think Naitanui will just be too tempting and they'll pick him up.

I'll make it into a top 20 mock then since some of you want it to be. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11. Collingwood [Matthew DeBoer]: Collingwood need clearance midfielders not outside midfielders. DeBoer is the only one really left, good at the clearances, knows how to find the ball, good work ethic, reasonable pace, his disposal is a bit iffy but the Pies will take him at 11 unless one of Ziebell/Hartlett/Sidebottom slip.

12. Sydney [Shaun McKernan]: With Sydney's old forward line some new blood is needed. McKernan has strong hands, good disposal knows where the big sticks are ready made footballer height and weight wise won't be pushed around can also go into the ruck where his tap work is good only real downside is his pace.

13. St.Kilda [Jackson Trengove]: Saints need a young defender to take over Hudgeton they will be rapt that Trengove is available and take him. Knows how to read the play, has pace good hands, can go into the ruck no real deficiencies if not for injuries would be pushing top 6. Saints will be happy.

14. Bulldogs [Ayce Cordy]: Lock it in Eddie. Ruckman good pace, good tapwork average disposal, alright mark a bit of gamble seeing as his a stick. But the potential is there for the Bulldogs to mould.

15. Geelong [Aaron Cornelius]: The Cats need a forward, they found out the hard way. There seems to be questions floating around Hawkins they need a second tall forward anyway and Cornelius fits the bill. Good pace, reads the play very good contested mark, good skills but his goalkicking can be iffy at times.

16. Hawthorn [Jordan Lisle]: Hawks would like to have another key defender in the wings, when Croad went down it looked like they were in trouble until Hodge took his game to another level. He is a good contested mark, acceptable pace can be thrown in the forward line if need be good skills just looks a bit awkward on the turn.

17. Melbourne [Mitch Robinson]
:An outside mid with good skills and that can break the lines, Robinson it their man. Good mark, good disposal by foot and hand never stops trying after taking Watts at 1 they will go for the best mid remaining Mitch Robinson.

18. West Coast [Chris Yarren]: Local talent McKinley, LeCras and Yarren lurking up forward will be hard to stop, pretty much going best available Yarren has all the tools required to be an AFL star his only real worry is his application if not for that he would be much higher.

There it is I'll update the first post with it :)

I am waiting for Collingwood supporters to come in and blast you..De Boer will not go top11. Put it this way a guy like Nick Heyne will suit them more. A guy will ordinary footskills is the last thing Collingwood needs

I am waiting for Collingwood supporters to come in and blast you..De Boer will not go top11. Put it this way a guy like Nick Heyne will suit them more. A guy will ordinary footskills is the last thing Collingwood needs

Forget footskills they need a clearance player not some fancy outside midfielder. With Burns gone they need an in and under midfielder and I have no doubt DeBoer has all the skills required to become a very good AFL footballer. Footskills can improve.

Would not Mind Do Boer but Pick 11 is a Stretch even for Hine - I would love Do Boer at Pick 29:thumbsu:

Forget footskills they need a clearance player not some fancy outside midfielder. With Burns gone they need an in and under midfielder and I have no doubt DeBoer has all the skills required to become a very good AFL footballer. Footskills can improve.

Tell that to Shane O'Bree or Ben Johnson.

Tell that to Shane O'Bree or Ben Johnson.

Those players are woeful. Deboer's skills are not bad they are average. AVERAGE on par acceptable not BAD. Collingwood need an in and under and I'm very confident they will take the best available in and under left. I'm an essendon supporter and I have seen Stanton's disposal get better every year.

Maybe at pick 29, but not pick 11. Even a guy like Yarran would be more a chance than De Boer. He is no chance at pick 11. Actually wouldn't be surprised to see Robinson go to the Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back