jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Had a look at the teams selected for the Dees/Dogs game, and they look good (from what i can tell). The names I recognise are all good players. From the emotion shown, I think this will be a game that means an enormous amount to all who take part, and I expect most will play like the fate of the world depends on the outcome. I expect nothing less than the fastest and hardest game of Womens AFL ever played. I just hope it gets the attention and recognition it deserves, and does act as a lead in to a national competition.

This thread is for thoughts on the game, and the players selected.

The players I have seen are Kirby Bentley, very evasive player. Emma Swanson from WA U18s, solidly built hard running mid. Kira Phillips WA U18s, kicked 8 in a game in the youth girl championships, hard leading, good mark, good if it hits the deck. Kellie Marie Gibson, WA U18s, lightly built but one of the most ferocious battlers in womens footy I have seen. Got suspended for 2 games at the nationals for an overly vigorous tackle, and came back to be the best player in the grand final. Chelsae Randall, solid hard at it, burst through the packs type KPP

Good to see Kirby taken at no 7. I've umpired her a few times, she's an absolute jet(I thought they were calling her Kobe because of how dominant she was). Does anyone have a full list of the draftees?

Good to see Kirby taken at no 7. I've umpired her a few times, she's an absolute jet(I thought they were calling her Kobe because of how dominant she was). Does anyone have a full list of the draftees?
vwfl or world footy news both have it.

Replay of the game

Good quality game if a bit scrappy at times, possibly due to these teams only having a few training sessions as a group.
Is it a sign of things to come?

Was interesting to see the top ten almost exclusively WA and Vic.
Given how much they dominate, was to be expected. What is really interesting is that the 3rd and 4th states in Women's football would be QLD and NSW. SA didn't even make the finals of div 2 at the nationals.

I still think this should have been televised. It has over 8,000 views on youtube!

They have announced that clubs will have to delist 24 players prior to the 2014 draft, presumably a total of 24, not 24 each. Good idea, keeps a core of players in each team for continuity and identity, and opens up spots for fresh talent. Hopefully it is telecast, with the youtube video of the 2013 game now over 10000 views.

They have announced that clubs will have to delist 24 players prior to the 2014 draft, presumably a total of 24, not 24 each. Good idea, keeps a core of players in each team for continuity and identity, and opens up spots for fresh talent. Hopefully it is telecast, with the youtube video of the 2013 game now over 10000 views.

If I was the coach I'll make sure that Daisy Pearce is my first pick (again), she was unstoppable on that night. If I couldn't get Daisy my pick would then be Chelsea Randall from WA. I guess we could do our fantasy female dreamteams.

If I was the coach I'll make sure that Daisy Pearce is my first pick (again), she was unstoppable on that night. If I couldn't get Daisy my pick would then be Chelsea Randall from WA. I guess we could do our fantasy female dreamteams.
Agree, but would also consider Ellie Blackbourne, only young but already looks like the next Daisy.

Short doco on the 2013 womens AFL game

2013 Womens Round

Hey Jatz, good pickup, anychance of how to download it off the AFL website?

I think as a rule one player from each state and territory has to be selected as a minimum to continue to promote the code even if they are picks 21-25 for each team. So to be fair that means 4 for each side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Jatz, good pickup, anychance of how to download it off the AFL website?

I think as a rule one player from each state and territory has to be selected as a minimum to continue to promote the code even if they are picks 21-25 for each team. So to be fair that means 4 for each side.
No sorry. i came across it being tweeted around before i even saw it was on the AFL website.

Full list of the Bulldogs new draftees and their retained players from last year, plus a short video from draft day http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-05-19/bulldogs-womens-team-finalised

Interesting that they have picked only 1 Queenslander with the rest being Vic and WA (6 Vics and 5 WA). I think they are concentrating more on the best team possible and less on spreading it around.
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-05-19/bulldogs-womens-team-finalised
In the sense that this is the game that people will judge the merits of a possible womens league on, it is better to have the best players possible than a spread from around the country.

Never watched women's footy before, how good are they? Could they 'get a kick' in low level male leagues? (serious question) just like to know how good they really are. I think it's great girls/women now have a level to aspire to. Now parents have no reason to not allow their daughters to play.

Nah, some are quite skillful but the gap in strength, speed and probably most of all height is too great. But that's how it is for all women's sports, doesn't mean it's not enjoyable to watch.

I disagree, some would get a kick in low level male grades by being better at reading the play and finding space, but most couldn't win contested ball. However a (small) handfull could win contested ball (in low level leagues). There are a few women playing that are quite fast and around the 6 foot mark, who also have good hands and judgement. I could see them outmarking a 172 - 175 low level amateur.

However, I do not see the point of judging female sportswomen by the standards of male sportsman, they are essentially playing a different sport. Its a bit like saying the Usain Bolt would be easily beaten by a greyhound, therefore he must be a crap sprinter.

The women's game is a fantastic initiative. I know personally a couple of women who 18 months ago had little to no interest in aussie rules.

I took my (now ex) girlfriend to the North Melbourne v Adelaide match at Docklands last year (the comeback 1 point Petrenko game!) and she loved it. A couple of weeks later the women's Melbourne v Western Bulldogs game was playing and although I had to bail on it because of work, she still went with a friend of hers. Since then, she's jumped on the Bulldogs bandwagon (she lives out West) went to more matches last year and the two of us went to the Geelong v Hawthorn preliminary final... I'm sure the women's match had a big impact --

*on a somewhat random but related note, I had a teaching placement last month, and I was talking footy with the mentor teacher whose classroom I was in. Women's footy got brought up and it turns out her cousin is Daisy Pearce (#1 pick from last year) - Just thought it was a bit of a coincidence and I think she was kind of impressed that I knew who she was and knew she played for Darebin etc...

Anyway... hope to make it to this years women's Melb v Bull game...

Both Tiah Haynes and Nicola Stevens have done their ACL's.
Nicola did her's when captaining the first under 21's Vic country team in the Vic Country V Metro match on queens birthday weekend. Was playing in the match for the under 21 Country team, was a bad outcome from the game.

Melbourne team
B: Ashmore, Kaslar, Haines
HB: Donnelan, Hickey, Hutchins
C: Eva, White, Bowers
HF: Gibson, Randall, Blackburn
F: Gum, McWilliams, Swanson
FOLL: Wotton, Pearce, Bently
I/C: Zielke, Harris, Dunn, Stammers, Miller, Forth
EMG: Cramey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back