Five Important Players - Brisbane Lions 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

not having a dig but why is everyone rating Berger as a top 5 most important player? Bloke has hardly played a full season and we have Martin now as well...

I would've thought that it'd be a really big deal if he plays a full season at the level we've seen him play. If he did this - we'd have a great year.

Look he is a good player but we can easily cover him and actually we were better off last season when he wasn't playing... Martin played and we won games... to me Martin is more important. But what ever it's only my opinion.

First half of the year we were learning a new game plan so our results were very poor. Not only that we had so many new players last year it was not only the game plan but players getting to know each others runnning patterns, which side they usually turn so another player could run to that space, how far they kick etc, so many things to learn. As we started to have a better grasp of the game plan it conincided with Stef being fit and playing. If Leuey had have come back when Stef did you could have been saying the exact opposite. The fact is we don't really know yet. I'm really excited to see what they can do playing together in the ruck, still really have my doubts how effective they will be up forward. At worst they'll take a big defender which will free up some of our other forwards to hopefully make an impact. Time will tell.

hmm... has he ever played a full season though? And Martin has played a better season than Berger ever has. Martin offers more than Berger and that's why I personally have him as a top 5 most important and not Berger.
Berger's played 20 more career games than Martin, more as ruck and 3 seasons of 20 or more games compared to Martin's one. Also a couple of years younger.
Remember the premise of the original article is the importance of players to the club's list, not just this season, but into the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a fan of Leuenberger, but I think he'll struggle to get back that number one ruck mantle if Stefan Martin is fit and firing. Just my opinion.

First half of the year we were learning a new game plan so our results were very poor. Not only that we had so many new players last year it was not only the game plan but players getting to know each others runnning patterns, which side they usually turn so another player could run to that space, how far they kick etc, so many things to learn. As we started to have a better grasp of the game plan it conincided with Stef being fit and playing. If Leuey had have come back when Stef did you could have been saying the exact opposite. The fact is we don't really know yet. I'm really excited to see what they can do playing together in the ruck, still really have my doubts how effective they will be up forward. At worst they'll take a big defender which will free up some of our other forwards to hopefully make an impact. Time will tell.
I seriously doubt Berger was affected by the new game plan... he was quite simply soft, slow and just a liability all over the place. It was absolutely pathetic and majority of people on here wanted him gone... never seen someone so scared to put his body on the line than when I watched Berger in the first few rounds of the year... West, although obviously not as talented, was a huge presence when he played and made himself known around the contest... that's what I want to see form the Berger a bit of mongrel for once instead of the deer in the headlight we always seem to get...

If Martin ruptures something in that balloon-like upper body of his, who does the main rucking duties?
good to see you have accepted that Martin is the prime ruckman James... to answer the question it would obviously be Leuenberger... if his body holds, and if not than I suspect Merrett/Close or maybe even Archie Smith.

good to see you have accepted that Martin is the prime ruckman James... to answer the question it would obviously be Leuenberger... if his body holds, and if not than I suspect Merrett/Close or maybe even Archie Smith.

Actually, I was playing devil's advocate.

It seems you've also forgotten about your mate Trent West?

Actually, I was playing devil's advocate.

It seems you've also forgotten about your mate Trent West?
well... West won't be ready until at least half way through the season... I have seen some pics of Berger and I must say he has added about 2kg of bulk so hopefully he can gain some confidence like Martin managed to do.

B9tKvg_CYAAi449.jpg

You're right. He does look very confident.

Five important players – Brisbane 2015

1: Someone to lead the AFL in clearance retention
2: Someone who can kick 50+ goals
3: Someone to step-up as Patfulls’ replacement
4: Someone that can regularly hit a target from a kick-out
5: Someone who can average 2 or more contested marks per game

Further to 4, blynd_freddie ... someone who doesn't kick towards the boundary to the ruckman and hope for a throw in, only to have it remain in play or be marked by the other ruckman.
Shhhh... both Leuey and Martin to position themselves as decoys on the boundary line and we long bomb it to Squizzy up the guts who is matched up against the oppositions tallest KPD in the hope of a ball up. Then a clearance retention from the stoppage which is kicked into the forward 50 for a contested mark and goal. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back