Unofficial Preview Flags, Banners + Flogs.. Not Flares.

Remove this Banner Ad

2002: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2003: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2004: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2005: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2006: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2007: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2008: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2009: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2010: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2011: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2012: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2013: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2014: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.

What will next year bring?

2002: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
2003: Someone discovers European football or US college sports crowds. "Let's do this!" Doesn't happen.
etc
etc

What will next year bring?

actually it's more like this..

2014: Port Adelaide have the best match day atmosphere in the league. Supporters come together to ask each other - how can we improve it?

for me, I've thought of ideas for banners and the like but this is still in its early days and we need to have a better idea on what does and what doesn't work before we know what to do. obviously the main difference in the footy match day and european football is the "family fun day" angle we have going which football obviously doesn't have. some things like constant singing, large banners blocking your view, huge flags/pom poms end up annoying those types that just want to go to the footy and angrily watch, berate the umpires, complain when someone walks in front of them and blocks their view for ten seconds. the aussie footy fan mentality is still there and we don't want to piss off our old school fans. having said all this, our match day grew naturally and people loved getting in on the new ideas and they worked for us. i'm sure it'll happen again. people love custom banners and getting their own message seen on TV - perhaps if the club shows everyone an easy way to get on board with that they will warm up to it?

I watched a couple of videos of us running out onto the ground last night and it's definitely interesting watching them post-season. I'm sure they wont be as extravagant next season, what with the ceremony of Adelaide Oval's first AFL season making a grand occasion out of every game. I would be surprised if we had fireworks and everything again. is it just me or are the fireworks too much? the countdown from 10 made me cringe, I have to admit, I mean at the time this was all incredible to see our 'little' club take centre stage like this, but looking back I'm feeling we should tone it down just a tad.

actually it's more like this..

2014: Port Adelaide have the best match day atmosphere in the league. Supporters come together to ask each other - how can we improve it?

for me, I've thought of ideas for banners and the like but this is still in its early days and we need to have a better idea on what does and what doesn't work before we know what to do. obviously the main difference in the footy match day and european football is the "family fun day" angle we have going which football obviously doesn't have. some things like constant singing, large banners blocking your view, huge flags/pom poms end up annoying those types that just want to go to the footy and angrily watch, berate the umpires, complain when someone walks in front of them and blocks their view for ten seconds. the aussie footy fan mentality is still there and we don't want to piss off our old school fans. having said all this, our match day grew naturally and people loved getting in on the new ideas and they worked for us. i'm sure it'll happen again. people love custom banners and getting their own message seen on TV - perhaps if the club shows everyone an easy way to get on board with that they will warm up to it?

I watched a couple of videos of us running out onto the ground last night and it's definitely interesting watching them post-season. I'm sure they wont be as extravagant next season, what with the ceremony of Adelaide Oval's first AFL season making a grand occasion out of every game. I would be surprised if we had fireworks and everything again. is it just me or are the fireworks too much? the countdown from 10 made me cringe, I have to admit, I mean at the time this was all incredible to see our 'little' club take centre stage like this, but looking back I'm feeling we should tone it down just a tad.
I absolutely LOVE the countdown.

Flag sizes are restricted at AO and for good reason. Spectators do not want bloody great flags waved in their face all game. Things would be fine if these activities were confined to the start of the game but you and I both know they are not. We can make enough noise and provide enough colour with the scarves, banners and flag sizes we have. We are getting close to the image above in our pre game activity so let's concentrate on that bit.

It might just be restricted to the cheer squad bay, but as of 2015 there will be no restriction on flag and banner sizes. That's for every ground in Australia. So expect some larger flags next year.

I tend to agree that this obsession with being like Europe goes a bit overboard at times.
i cant wait untill we celebrate 0-0 draws where absolutely nothing happens, highlights on the news shows princess flogs missing goals from 10 metres out right in front and then we riot like crazed morons over something that may or may not have happened 150 years ago....

i cant wait untill we celebrate 0-0 draws where absolutely nothing happens, highlights on the news shows princess flogs missing goals from 10 metres out right in front and then we riot like crazed morons over something that may or may not have happened 150 years ago....

Ahh, the beautiful game.

Koch, either yesterday or today on morning TV said that what they had planned for the first home game against the Swans had just been confirmed. He looked very smug about it, which leads me to think it perhaps might be a rock act? Maybe KT is working on raising Hutchence from the dead? I wouldn't put it past him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might just be restricted to the cheer squad bay, but as of 2015 there will be no restriction on flag and banner sizes. That's for every ground in Australia. So expect some larger flags next year.

You might like to drop a link in so we can all see that info. Individual venues control what happens inside. Exactly who us making this Australia wide call?

Take a look at this link'
http://www.sydneycricketground.com.au/events/afl-conditions-of-entry/

Then take a look at this one,
http://www.adelaideoval.com.au/102/conditions-of-entry.aspx?query=1

The size of flags that are allowed into AFL venues is restricted by the relevant authority and at Adelaide Oval the relevant condition of entry is as follows,

A person may not bring the following items into Adelaide Oval unless permitted by AOSMA:
'Oversized signs, banners or flags that are considered by AOSMA as capable of causing a nuisance;'

As you post the cheer squads bays may be exempt but who would want to sit near them anyway? If you have other information Kickpuncher please please post a link .

I cannot speak for the Port Adelaide Football but I know that the Adelaide Football Club has circulated its Members to remind them that oversized flags are not permitted by the SMA. Please do not ask me how I know as there is a skeleton in my closet.

Always thought at some stage we would have Kirk Pengilly or whoever the relevant guitarist is for INXS to stand in the centre-circle with a guitar and start the NTUA off with a live riff. If done correctly i think that could be spine-tingling.

At the prelim we had some sort of Hawthorn unofficial cheersquad behind us that would do a few chants after a goal. "All you need is Rough" wasnt bad but the "We wish you a Merry Gunstan" I think was awful.

I dont mind the Power surge and fireworks thing we do for big games but they haven't nailed it as yet. It might be a case of doing too much as you have implied as it takes away from Never Giving In which is a monumental way to get the players and fans fired up from the outset.

You might like to drop a link in so we can all see that info. Individual venues control what happens inside. Exactly who us making this Australia wide call?

Take a look at this link'
http://www.sydneycricketground.com.au/events/afl-conditions-of-entry/

Then take a look at this one,
http://www.adelaideoval.com.au/102/conditions-of-entry.aspx?query=1

The size of flags that are allowed into AFL venues is restricted by the relevant authority and at Adelaide Oval the relevant condition of entry is as follows,

A person may not bring the following items into Adelaide Oval unless permitted by AOSMA:
'Oversized signs, banners or flags that are considered by AOSMA as capable of causing a nuisance;'

As you post the cheer squads bays may be exempt but who would want to sit near them anyway? If you have other information Kickpuncher please please post a link .

I cannot speak for the Port Adelaide Football but I know that the Adelaide Football Club has circulated its Members to remind them that oversized flags are not permitted by the SMA. Please do not ask me how I know as there is a skeleton in my closet.

From looking into it the MCG have been the first and only stadium to ditch flag restrictions, but in cheer squad bays only.
(http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...n-cheer-squad-flag-sizes-20141111-11kehc.html)

Ive been to more than a hand full of stadiums in Australia, and I sit with the cheer squad and most are pretty lenient with the sizes. Once the flag is inside the ground they ground staff couldn't give two shits.

I think I may have been told somewhere about AO are ditching flag restriction sizes in cheer squad bays but I'm not 100% sure. I'd have to get back to you.

If you want to have a giant flag around the ground though other than maybe the hill at AO you may be out of luck.

"I cannot speak for the Port Adelaide Football but I know that the Adelaide Football Club has circulated its Members to remind them that oversized flags are not permitted by the SMA. Please do not ask me how I know as there is a skeleton in my closet."

This is where the AFC have failed again. They just accept what they can't have, where I know behind the scenes the PAFC have been fighting to allow larger flags and banners to be brought in.

From looking into it the MCG have been the first and only stadium to ditch flag restrictions, but in cheer squad bays only.
(http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...n-cheer-squad-flag-sizes-20141111-11kehc.html)

Ive been to more than a hand full of stadiums in Australia, and I sit with the cheer squad and most are pretty lenient with the sizes. Once the flag is inside the ground they ground staff couldn't give two shits.

I think I may have been told somewhere about AO are ditching flag restriction sizes in cheer squad bays but I'm not 100% sure. I'd have to get back to you.

If you want to have a giant flag around the ground though other than maybe the hill at AO you may be out of luck.

Yeah, that is my take. I do not have a problem with lifting restrictions on the bays used by cheer squads but do not favour it in other bays. We are doing OK with the scarf bit before the game and if we can build on the pre game hype I am all for it.

I have often thought of a laser sky show with a guy hammering an anvil with lightening bolts... no,no. I am getting carried away and a Club $2M in the red is never going to afford it. .

Koch, either yesterday or today on morning TV said that what they had planned for the first home game against the Swans had just been confirmed. He looked very smug about it, which leads me to think it perhaps might be a rock act? Maybe KT is working on raising Hutchence from the dead? I wouldn't put it past him.

Kochie went to high school with Kirk Pengilly, so wouldnt be surprised if they have got the band to perform before or after the first home game.

s**t just realised about 17 years and 4 weeks ago I was watching Hutchences funeral on TV in Bondi. NTUA was played as the coffin left the service - remember the band members and his brother carrying it on their shoulders and an enormous quantity of purple tiger lilys adorned the coffin. He named his daughter Tiger Lily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back