Footy in Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

Here’s a good snapshot of how AFL is making inroads in SEQ, specifically the Gold Coast. See todays (and yesterdays) Gold Coast Bulletin and the extensive coverage of the AFL and the Suns draft choices.

Today’s full back page and a double page spread inside the back cover, first pages of sport (immediately below. Yesterday’s coverage almost equal for AFL / NRL (below that). This is typical coverage and not just a two day focus because it’s draft time. The Suns / AFL certainly get almost daily coverage in this rag as well as the nightly news bulletins on Ch9 / Ch7, feature stories or just Club training updates etc.

The AFL / Bears certainly weren’t getting this extensive coverage 20-30 years ago. No wonder V’landys is worried about the AFL participation numbers and investment in grassroots footy. It’s growing and will keep growing.. And the Suns aren’t even winningView attachment 1858717
View attachment 1858718
View attachment 1858719

The GC Bulletin is the most supportive of all the northern papers imo. I wonder if a local knows if it has much distribution up there or is more seen as a local rag so not too popular? My understanding is the local tv news doesn't get many eyeballs from my friend that lives there, but not sure.

The GC Bulletin is the most supportive of all the northern papers imo. I wonder if a local knows if it has much distribution up there or is more seen as a local rag so not too popular? My understanding is the local tv news doesn't get many eyeballs from my friend that lives there, but not sure.
My understanding is the Ch7/9 local GC news gets strong viewership. Ch9 News comfortably out rates the Ch7 bulletin. Thst aside, the population is growing very quickly which bodes well for the games continued expansion.

My understanding is the Ch7/9 local GC news gets strong viewership. Ch9 News comfortably out rates the Ch7 bulletin. Thst aside, the population is growing very quickly which bodes well for the games continued expansion.

Oh interesting and that's good. My mate up there said only pensioners would watch it, anybody under 50 would just watch the 6pm news 😅.

Accurate. Channel 7 decided to launch their own local GC news program a few years ago to go head-to-head with Channel 9. There's definitely a market for it here and both channels provide reasonably good coverage of the Suns. Unlike the 6pm state news that will often skip over AFL related stories or only report on the Lions when something big is happening.

It’s neither of the schools you have mentioned. But I can assure you the school would be historically in the top 5 if not the top 3 rugby union schools in the state. So you’re talking rubbish. They also had two old boys playing prelim afl wknd.
Seems you've misunderstood my post so I'll clear it up. GPS = Greater Public Schools Association of Queensland which includes six schools in Brisbane (Anglican Church Grammar, Brisbane Boys' College, Brisbane Grammar, Brisbane State High, St Joseph's Nudgee and St Joseph's Gregory Terrace), one school on the Gold Coast (The Southport School), one school in Ipswich (Ipswich Grammar) and one school in Toowoomba (Toowoomba Grammar). The three best rugby union schools in Queensland are undeniably in this competition. If anyone tells you otherwise then they aren't telling you the truth.

Seems you've misunderstood my post so I'll clear it up. GPS = Greater Public Schools Association of Queensland which includes six schools in Brisbane (Anglican Church Grammar, Brisbane Boys' College, Brisbane Grammar, Brisbane State High, St Joseph's Nudgee and St Joseph's Gregory Terrace), one school on the Gold Coast (The Southport School), one school in Ipswich (Ipswich Grammar) and one school in Toowoomba (Toowoomba Grammar). The three best rugby union schools in Queensland are undeniably in this competition. If anyone tells you otherwise then they aren't telling you the truth.
I haven’t misunderstood at all.

But anyway this is an AFL forum and it’s clearly making in roads with kids in Qld as I have already stated.

I haven’t misunderstood at all.

But anyway this is an AFL forum and it’s clearly making in roads with kids in Qld as I have already stated.
Fair enough. Just know that the GPS schools are responsible for producing almost all pro rugby union and cricket players from Brisbane in recent decades and there's currently a strict no Aussie rules understanding in place at most of those schools. Maybe the school you were referring to had a strong history of producing rugby players in the 20th century, but these days the scholarships offered to junior athletes from the GPS schools virtually guarantees all the best juniors in Brisbane end up at one of those schools. Even future rugby league players find themselves playing rugby union in Brisbane like when current Dally M Medallist Kalyn Ponga accepted a scholarship to play rugby union for GPS school Churchie and ended up signing for the North Queensland Cowboys rugby league team upon graduation. It's a funnel that's been intentionally set up to feed as many high level athletes into historically popular sports like rugby union and cricket but it does bleed into the more popular rugby league code as well. Not a lot of room for Aussie rules to infiltrate the top level Brisbane interschool sport sphere.

It's a completely different kettle of fish on the Gold Coast. You have just one GPS school (TSS) that runs like that, but the rest of the GC schools don't have historical sporting ties like that. The only other ties at the school level that are worth mentioning on the GC are Palm Beach Currumbin and Keebra Park being known for producing pro rugby league players. However that appears to be changing with PBC being the club/school that just produced three first round picks in this year's AFL draft. Why? My theory is that the beachside suburb of Palm Beach has become quite expensive in recent years and it's changing the clientele of locals that attend PBC High who are less inclined to pursue a sport that is viewed as 'working class' aka rugby league but that's just a theory without any real data to back it up. Anyway, you really only have two Gold Coast schools in Keebra Park and TSS that isn't keen on Aussie rules and virtually every other school appears to be open to it or are actively pursuing it. Many GC schools (private and government) have erected AFL posts on their ovals in the last 5-10 years and are setting up excellence programs that offer Aussie rules as a subject that we're seeing the end result at the national draft.

The Gold Coast is absolutely ripe for an AFL takeover IMO and I think we're about to see exactly that play out over the next decade with Damien Hardwick as coach and all these talented local juniors coming through the academy. Unfortunately the same can't be said about Brisbane that will continue to be weighed down by the historical ties for many decades. That's not to say the Lions can't have a decent following in Brisbane (which they already have), it's just that they won't be able overtake rugby league as the number 1 sport in the foreseeable future. The Suns/AFL, on the other hand, legitimately can overtake the Titans/rugby league within the Gold Coast market.

Yes Brisbane seems harder to crack. The AFL should just bite the bullet and offer cash to get into those schools there in some way.

I was happy to see this in Brisbane though. A new footy field. I like the idea of getting in on new housing developments, it's smart because generally the home owners are young families.

The amount of participation in Brisbane's west is really increasing off the back of low numbers previously.

Screenshot_20231123-103041_Chrome.jpg

Yes Brisbane seems harder to crack. The AFL should just bite the bullet and offer cash to get into those schools there in some way.

I was happy to see this in Brisbane though. A new footy field. I like the idea of getting in on new housing developments, it's smart because generally the home owners are young families.

The amount of participation in Brisbane's west is really increasing off the back of low numbers previously.

View attachment 1859157
Funnily enough, that area of Logan (Greenbank) falls under the Suns' academy zone. It's right on the border so the club should pull in juniors from both zones but the actual club itself is in the Suns' zone. This is a part of the deal that was struck between the Queensland government and the AFL when they were awarded the 2020 GF hosting rights. The QLD government committed to upgrading and building more local footy clubs throughout South East Queensland and below is another example of a new sports precinct being built on the Gold Coast that includes a brand new footy club that will be handed to one of the elite local private schools that currently has no sporting preference. The project also includes new housing so you'd expect lots of young families to move in there too. You can clearly see the strategy that's in place here and how they are increasing junior participation numbers moving forward. That would never happen at an elite private school in Brisbane but the Gold Coast schools are far more open to it.

2307_EXT_Recreation_High_Opt2_F_web-1024x732.jpg

Funnily enough, that area of Logan (Greenbank) falls under the Suns' academy zone. It's right on the border so the club should pull in juniors from both zones but the actual club itself is in the Suns' zone. This is a part of the deal that was struck between the Queensland government and the AFL when they were awarded the 2020 GF hosting rights. The QLD government committed to upgrading and building more local footy clubs throughout South East Queensland and below is another example of a new sports precinct being built on the Gold Coast that includes a brand new footy club that will be handed to one of the elite local private schools that currently has no sporting preference. The project also includes new housing so you'd expect lots of young families to move in there too. You can clearly see the strategy that's in place here and how they are increasing junior participation numbers moving forward. That would never happen at an elite private school in Brisbane but the Gold Coast schools are far more open to it.

On reflection, getting the hub and then the grand final up there in 2020 was a turbo charged boost to the game.

Tony Cochrane can be thanked for that, firstly planting the seed with the AFL about the hub, then suggesting the GF in Brisbane and then going to the QLD government to get them to pay 20 mill for the GF, plus create the future fund you speak of.

If only he was on the afl commission instead of the statue otherwise known as Richard Goyder.

GPS First XV is now dominated by pacific islander kids on Rugby League club scholarships sent to gps schools for 2 or 3 years. Those kids grew up playing league and will return to league. We can agree RL is not going anywhere from it’s top spot in Qld.

But this set up is killing Union, and the super rugby and international results confirm it. AFL can move into this space in SE Qld and is doing so, with the inner city AFLQ clubs in Brisbane attracting many kids from traditional rugby schools.

Fair enough. Just know that the GPS schools are responsible for producing almost all pro rugby union and cricket players from Brisbane in recent decades and there's currently a strict no Aussie rules understanding in place at most of those schools. Maybe the school you were referring to had a strong history of producing rugby players in the 20th century, but these days the scholarships offered to junior athletes from the GPS schools virtually guarantees all the best juniors in Brisbane end up at one of those schools. Even future rugby league players find themselves playing rugby union in Brisbane like when current Dally M Medallist Kalyn Ponga accepted a scholarship to play rugby union for GPS school Churchie and ended up signing for the North Queensland Cowboys rugby league team upon graduation. It's a funnel that's been intentionally set up to feed as many high level athletes into historically popular sports like rugby union and cricket but it does bleed into the more popular rugby league code as well. Not a lot of room for Aussie rules to infiltrate the top level Brisbane interschool sport sphere.

It's a completely different kettle of fish on the Gold Coast. You have just one GPS school (TSS) that runs like that, but the rest of the GC schools don't have historical sporting ties like that. The only other ties at the school level that are worth mentioning on the GC are Palm Beach Currumbin and Keebra Park being known for producing pro rugby league players. However that appears to be changing with PBC being the club/school that just produced three first round picks in this year's AFL draft. Why? My theory is that the beachside suburb of Palm Beach has become quite expensive in recent years and it's changing the clientele of locals that attend PBC High who are less inclined to pursue a sport that is viewed as 'working class' aka rugby league but that's just a theory without any real data to back it up. Anyway, you really only have two Gold Coast schools in Keebra Park and TSS that isn't keen on Aussie rules and virtually every other school appears to be open to it or are actively pursuing it. Many GC schools (private and government) have erected AFL posts on their ovals in the last 5-10 years and are setting up excellence programs that offer Aussie rules as a subject that we're seeing the end result at the national draft.

The Gold Coast is absolutely ripe for an AFL takeover IMO and I think we're about to see exactly that play out over the next decade with Damien Hardwick as coach and all these talented local juniors coming through the academy. Unfortunately the same can't be said about Brisbane that will continue to be weighed down by the historical ties for many decades. That's not to say the Lions can't have a decent following in Brisbane (which they already have), it's just that they won't be able overtake rugby league as the number 1 sport in the foreseeable future. The Suns/AFL, on the other hand, legitimately can overtake the Titans/rugby league within the Gold Coast market.

This is not correct at all. Very few topline cricketers come through the GPS system.

I actually attended IGS back in the 90's and we played Aussie Rules then, and even played against BBC and Churchie at the time.

Fast forward 25 years and the GPS schools are actively trying to avoid playing Aussie Rules, despite significant demand from within their own schools. IGS for example has about 5 or 6 kids who have played state footy (one will be drafted next year), the sports master was supportive of entering a team in the Schools Cup, but the headmaster blocked it. Same thing happened at BBC. However, interestingly Nudgee decided to enter and Simon Black's son goes there and their sportsmaster is a guy called Matty Waters who is a Wests QAFL Premiership player and spent some time on the Bears list back in the day. My own son was at IGS, but I have moved him to St Laurences this year. We didn't move him for Aussie Rules, but it was a MASSIVE silver lining as part of the move, and their program is superb.

The drift away from GPS schools as a measure of sporting excellence has definitely started. The AIC are far more progressive, and the gun players in both Rugby codes are now far more attracted to go to the AIC schools as they offer both League and Union in different terms, so they can play both in a thriving school competition (and also Aussie Rules in Term 1 if they want)

The only sport where the GPS system is still the pinnacle is Track & Field.

On reflection, getting the hub and then the grand final up there in 2020 was a turbo charged boost to the game.

Tony Cochrane can be thanked for that, firstly planting the seed with the AFL about the hub, then suggesting the GF in Brisbane and then going to the QLD government to get them to pay 20 mill for the GF, plus create the future fund you speak of.

If only he was on the afl commission instead of the statue otherwise known as Richard Goyder.
Most definitely. He was seen as a polarising character down south, but if you do your research then it's undeniable that he had a massive positive impact on the growth/future of the game in Queensland. He won't get the credit he deserves when the Suns start having on field success but internally people know how much he steered the ship during a tumultuous time when people down south were constantly questioning the existence of a Gold Coast AFL club.

GPS First XV is now dominated by pacific islander kids on Rugby League club scholarships sent to gps schools for 2 or 3 years. Those kids grew up playing league and will return to league. We can agree RL is not going anywhere from it’s top spot in Qld.

But this set up is killing Union, and the super rugby and international results confirm it. AFL can move into this space in SE Qld and is doing so, with the inner city AFLQ clubs in Brisbane attracting many kids from traditional rugby schools.
Rugby Australia are currently in the process of trying to acquire rugby league talent for the 2027 World Cup because it's being hosted here. That means they are splashing the cash at the moment and I suspect you'll see a few more following Sua'ali'i's lead and committing to union over the next four years as a result. Makes it difficult for Aussie rules to get a look in over the next few years.

This is not correct at all. Very few topline cricketers come through the GPS system.
Have a look at the locals on the current Brisbane Heat list as evidence of this:

Jimmy Pierson - GPS (Brisbane State High)
Marnus Labuschagne - GPS (Brisbane State High)
Jack Wildermuth - GPS (Brisbane State High)
Matt Renshaw - GPS (Brisbane Grammar)
Josh Brown - GPS (Nudgee)
Mitchell Swepson - GPS (Nudgee)
Nathan McSweeney - GPS (Nudgee)
Will Prestwidge - GPS (Terrace)
Matthew Kuhnemann - GPS (TSS)
Michael Neser - GPS (TSS)
Xavier Bartlett - GPS (TSS)

There's literally one local on the Brisbane Heat list that didn't attend a GPS school and that was Max Bryant who was based on the QLD-NSW border and left the door open for a rugby league career up until 17 years of age. If Bryant had committed to cricket earlier in life then there's a very good chance he would have attended TSS or another GPS school. There are also lots of other GPS cricketers throughout the BBL like Adelaide's Chris Lynn (Nudgee), Sydney's Ben Cutting (Brisbane Grammar) or Hobart's Billy Stanlake (TSS). Not really sure where you got this idea from that very few topline cricketers come from the GPS schools...

Fast forward 25 years and the GPS schools are actively trying to avoid playing Aussie Rules, despite significant demand from within their own schools. IGS for example has about 5 or 6 kids who have played state footy (one will be drafted next year), the sports master was supportive of entering a team in the Schools Cup, but the headmaster blocked it. Same thing happened at BBC. However, interestingly Nudgee decided to enter and Simon Black's son goes there and their sportsmaster is a guy called Matty Waters who is a Wests QAFL Premiership player and spent some time on the Bears list back in the day. My own son was at IGS, but I have moved him to St Laurences this year. We didn't move him for Aussie Rules, but it was a MASSIVE silver lining as part of the move, and their program is superb.
I've heard similar stories of TSS kids wanting to play Aussie rules and getting blocked. Jeff White's son (Kalani) attends TSS and was named in the U16 AA team this year but doesn't get the opportunity to play or train at his school. It wouldn't surprise me if this fact alone leads to Kalani moving to Melbourne to attend an APS school that will support his football endeavours. That's the unfortunate reality of a situation like this.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread you'll see I actually pointed out St Lauries is far more accepting of Aussie rules and seem to have a good relationship with the Brisbane Lions. I think it's great that the Lions have been able to foster this kind of support from an AIC school and I'd be trying to get other AIC schools on board if I was them but the schools with the most amount of money and best resources to run a proper football excellence program like the ones in Melbourne are most certainly the GPS schools. I've got a horse in the race too and would like TSS to jump on board by adopting Aussie rules because I think they could become a powerhouse in terms of producing Aussie rules talent but there's just SO much resistance to it in those GPS circles.

The drift away from GPS schools as a measure of sporting excellence has definitely started. The AIC are far more progressive, and the gun players in both Rugby codes are now far more attracted to go to the AIC schools as they offer both League and Union in different terms, so they can play both in a thriving school competition (and also Aussie Rules in Term 1 if they want)

The only sport where the GPS system is still the pinnacle is Track & Field.
The elite youth teams in both rugby codes just don't back up what you're suggesting. The majority of the current Reds youth team comes from the GPS schools and the Queensland U19 Origin team is mostly made up of SEQ players from state schools with 10-20% going through the GPS system.

Have a look at the locals on the current Brisbane Heat list as evidence of this:

Jimmy Pierson - GPS (Brisbane State High)
Marnus Labuschagne - GPS (Brisbane State High)
Jack Wildermuth - GPS (Brisbane State High)
Matt Renshaw - GPS (Brisbane Grammar)
Josh Brown - GPS (Nudgee)
Mitchell Swepson - GPS (Nudgee)
Nathan McSweeney - GPS (Nudgee)
Will Prestwidge - GPS (Terrace)
Matthew Kuhnemann - GPS (TSS)
Michael Neser - GPS (TSS)
Xavier Bartlett - GPS (TSS)

There's literally one local on the Brisbane Heat list that didn't attend a GPS school and that was Max Bryant who was based on the QLD-NSW border and left the door open for a rugby league career up until 17 years of age. If Bryant had committed to cricket earlier in life then there's a very good chance he would have attended TSS or another GPS school. There are also lots of other GPS cricketers throughout the BBL like Adelaide's Chris Lynn (Nudgee), Sydney's Ben Cutting (Brisbane Grammar) or Hobart's Billy Stanlake (TSS). Not really sure where you got this idea from that very few topline cricketers come from the GPS schools...
Only one of them is a Test cricketer of any regularity, and 3-4 of them are regular first class cricketers. That is my definition of top-line cricket.

I've heard similar stories of TSS kids wanting to play Aussie rules and getting blocked. Jeff White's son (Kalani) attends TSS and was named in the U16 AA team this year but doesn't get the opportunity to play or train at his school. It wouldn't surprise me if this fact alone leads to Kalani moving to Melbourne to attend an APS school that will support his football endeavours. That's the unfortunate reality of a situation like this.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread you'll see I actually pointed out St Lauries is far more accepting of Aussie rules and seem to have a good relationship with the Brisbane Lions. I think it's great that the Lions have been able to foster this kind of support from an AIC school and I'd be trying to get other AIC schools on board if I was them but the schools with the most amount of money and best resources to run a proper football excellence program like the ones in Melbourne are most certainly the GPS schools. I've got a horse in the race too and would like TSS to jump on board by adopting Aussie rules because I think they could become a powerhouse in terms of producing Aussie rules talent but there's just SO much resistance to it in those GPS circles.

I think you'll find the resources available at the top AIC schools are pretty similar. Lauries is the biggest boys school in Queensland.

Ashgrove for a long time was a virtual GPS school without actually being one. Villanova, Padua, St Patricks are very well resourced schools. St Peters in terms of sporting resources probably out flanks all of them combined, they are producing Olympic Gold medals out of that school more often than Nudgee win rugby Premierships.

The elite youth teams in both rugby codes just don't back up what you're suggesting. The majority of the current Reds youth team comes from the GPS schools and the Queensland U19 Origin team is mostly made up of SEQ players from state schools with 10-20% going through the GPS system.

The elite youth teams in both rugby codes require kids to commit to that code. In Rugby Union, this has been the case for many years now, not sure about the League stuff. Even if you are the best player in the GPS Rugby system, you cannot be picked for QLD Schoolboys or emerging u15 Reds squads if you play Rugby League as well. To go on an Australian Schoolboys Rugby Union Tour, I am pretty sure you actually have to sign some sort of contract binding you to 'any' super rugby franchise, or at the very least provide some sort of guarantee you won't sign an NRL contract. Not sure how enforceable these things are, but they certainly no longer pick the 'leaguies' in any representative Union sides, and vice-versa. My own kid was invited to the Reds Academy, and one of the first 5 questions I was asked was if he played Rugby League. Funny thing was, they didn't even ask about Aussie Rules, and then he knocked it back and chose to focus on that, which caught them off guard!

It feels almost inevitable that footy will break into the GPS, but its probably still 3-5 years away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only one of them is a Test cricketer of any regularity, and 3-4 of them are regular first class cricketers. That is my definition of top-line cricket.
Not many Queenslanders make the test team anyway so that's not a fair way of judging it. First class is a far better way of measuring it -SEQ locals in the current squad of the Queensland Bulls: Jack Clayton (GPS - Brisbane Boys), Aryan Jain (Brisbane Grammar), Matt Renshaw (GPS - Brisbane Grammar), Hugh Weibgen (Brisbane Grammar), Blake Edwards (Brisbane State High), Marnus Labuschagne (GPS - Brisbane State High), Jimmy Pierson (GPS - Brisbane State High), Jack Wildermuth (GPS - Brisbane State High), Ben McDermott (GPS - Churchie), Mark Steketee (Ipswich Grammar), Tom Whitney (Ipswich Grammar), Joe Burns (GPS - Nudgee), Bryce Street (GPS - Nudgee), Connor Sully (Nudgee), Mitchell Swepson (GPS - Nudgee), Will Prestwidge (GPS - Terrace), Matt Kuhnemann (GPS - TSS), Michael Neser (GPS - TSS), Xavier Bartlett (GPS - TSS), Hugo Burdon (GPS - TSS) and Jack Sinfield (GPS - TSS). Just two from non-GPS schools - James Bazley (Maroochydore State High) and Max Bryant (St Joseph's).

Once again. The vast majority of the Queensland Bulls come from GPS schools and that's topline cricket by your definition.

I think you'll find the resources available at the top AIC schools are pretty similar. Lauries is the biggest boys school in Queensland.

Ashgrove for a long time was a virtual GPS school without actually being one. Villanova, Padua, St Patricks are very well resourced schools. St Peters in terms of sporting resources probably out flanks all of them combined, they are producing Olympic Gold medals out of that school more often than Nudgee win rugby Premierships.
I won't profess to be an expert on the resources at each GPS school but I do know TSS is at least the equal of any other Gold Coast school in terms of facilities/resources and would be considerably better than 90% of GC schools. Perhaps it's different in Brisbane and the AIC schools really are on the level you suggest. In which case, you certainly would expect the GPS schools to either fall behind or recognise the need for considerable upgrades.

It feels almost inevitable that footy will break into the GPS, but its probably still 3-5 years away.
We can only hope. It would be a real game changer for Aussie rules in Queensland and I get the feeling both rugby codes know that.

I won't profess to be an expert on the resources at each GPS school but I do know TSS is at least the equal of any other Gold Coast school in terms of facilities/resources and would be considerably better than 90% of GC schools. Perhaps it's different in Brisbane and the AIC schools really are on the level you suggest. In which case, you certainly would expect the GPS schools to either fall behind or recognise the need for considerable upgrades.

We can only hope. It would be a real game changer for Aussie rules in Queensland and I get the feeling both rugby codes know that.

You’re missing the point. Of course tss is better resourced because of the high fees. But using those resources at giving out scholarships to win the First XV is not indicative of where the wider population is moving. It’s certainly not helping Australian rugby based on past 20 years.

Of non-gps schools, Ashgrove has produced as many wallabies as any gps school except Nudgee. And for the record it’s produced Qld’s best test cricketer. But now has a few ex students running around in the afl, one being AA. This is the change that’s occurring.

It’s still rugby dna - the head of its rugby program being an ex Super rugby head coach. The point is thou these schools are giving wider choices to the boys and becoming far more rounded and that is appealing to parents.

You’re missing the point. Of course tss is better resourced because of the high fees. But using those resources at giving out scholarships to win the First XV is not indicative of where the wider population is moving. It’s certainly not helping Australian rugby based on past 20 years.
I would argue that you're missing the point. You keep making claims that the GPS schools are losing their lustre and junior athletes are now more inclined to head to schools that allow more flexibility like those in the AIC, but I'm giving you tangible of evidence that the vast majority of the best athletes in sports like cricket and rugby union still preference the GPS schools and that the pro level teams are filled with players from those schools. It doesn't really matter if you have more kids moving towards the AIC schools, what matters is which kids go to the AIC schools. Quality over quantity - the best athletes will end up in the pros and the stats clearly show that the best athletes in those sports are mostly attending GPS schools.

You know just as well as I do that if the GPS schools offered proper Aussie rules sport excellence programs then almost every SEQ parent that wants their child to pursue a career in sport would want their kid attending one of those schools. Give them the best possible opportunity of making it at the highest level, which is the mentality of the parents who accept a GPS scholarship for their kids to play rugby union or cricket at a GPS school.

Of non-gps schools, Ashgrove has produced as many wallabies as any gps school except Nudgee. And for the record it’s produced Qld’s best test cricketer. But now has a few ex students running around in the afl, one being AA. This is the change that’s occurring.
That's a great history for Ashgrove but we're discussing the current situation. Check out this link that shows a list of players named in the Reds U15 and U16 teams from last year. Just 2 of 46 players named in those teams come from Ashgrove. Feel like guessing how many come from a GPS school? I'll save you the time, it's 33 of 46 players (72%) named and there's a fair chance that some of those 13 non-GPS players will end up at the GPS schools if they continue to get named in the Reds development teams. These are undeniable facts.

It’s still rugby dna - the head of its rugby program being an ex Super rugby head coach. The point is thou these schools are giving wider choices to the boys and becoming far more rounded and that is appealing to parents.
Maybe for the parents who want their kid to play a sport that isn't offered like Aussie rules. I just don't believe that there's this massive wave of parents who would willingly give up a scholarship to pursue cricket or rugby union at a GPS school if they are legitimately one of the best athletes in SEQ and look destined for a career in that sport. I'm sure the Reds and Bulls tell these parents that they would prefer their child to attend a GPS school because it should result in better development.

You keep making claims that the GPS schools are losing their lustre
I never said that. That was another poster. I said AFL is infiltrating well known rugby schools.

You then arrogantly threw out must be the ‘lower level schools’ - whatever the hell that means - and then sprouted that every GPS school was better than all others in Rugby which is just historically incorrect. That’s it from me on this subject.

I never said that. That was another poster. I said AFL is infiltrating well known rugby schools.

You then arrogantly threw out must be the ‘lower level schools’ - whatever the hell that means - and then sprouted that every GPS school was better than all others in Rugby which is just historically incorrect. That’s it from me on this subject.

Why are you so fired up about it? I'm enjoying reading the discussion.

Why are you so fired up about it? I'm enjoying reading the discussion.
It’s offseason, got to keep one’s self amused :)

To the wider point I think it’s great the academies are now producing drafted afl talent. I don’t begrudge the suns at all and felt they moved picks in order to secure their players. That’s the only way the game is going to get a solid foothold in the north.

Gee whiz. You've taken this very personally. Unfortunately for you, facts don't care about your feelings.

Ashgrove may be able to score the occasional win over a GPS school in rugby but for the most part they would lose if they came up against GPS schools on a regular basis. They certainly wouldn't win the First XV GPS Premiership. For the record, the "lower level" comment was in reference to St Laurie's who would certainly almost always lose in rugby to the GPS schools.

To the wider point I think it’s great the academies are now producing drafted afl talent. I don’t begrudge the suns at all and felt they moved picks in order to secure their players. That’s the only way the game is going to get a solid foothold in the north.
The AFL appears to know this and that's why they've been so supportive of the northern academies to date. Tony Cochrane made a great point on radio today that the NRL media would be doing cartwheels and trumpeting it from the mountain tops if the Storm had produced four local juniors that were considered the best top 25 juniors in the land. They would say it's great for the sport and an indication that they are growing in a non-traditional market. For some reason it seems to be the opposite with the AFL media and a decent portion of the general footy public. It's as if people don't want the game to grow in Queensland or NSW...

Ashgrove may be able to score the occasional win over a GPS school in rugby but for the most part they would lose if they came up against GPS schools on a regular basis. They certainly wouldn't win the First XV GPS Premiership. For the record, the "lower level" comment was in reference to St Laurie's who would certainly almost always lose in rugby to the GPS schools.

Didn't Ashgrove used to play all the GPS schools in the bye? Then they had multiple years where they beat them all, so the practice was stopped because it made the GPS look bad?

Ebbs and flows, but Ashgrove, Lauries and then non affiliated schools like Downlands - are huge Rugby nurseries.

The AFL appears to know this and that's why they've been so supportive of the northern academies to date. Tony Cochrane made a great point on radio today that the NRL media would be doing cartwheels and trumpeting it from the mountain tops if the Storm had produced four local juniors that were considered the best top 25 juniors in the land. They would say it's great for the sport and an indication that they are growing in a non-traditional market. For some reason it seems to be the opposite with the AFL media and a decent portion of the general footy public. It's as if people don't want the game to grow in Queensland or NSW...
Two words: VIC-bias :thumbsupv1:

Always has been and always will be unfortunately.

Your last paragraph is bang on. I think the Suns are on the cusp of a growth phase that will translate to visible metrics, crowds, membership etc. the grassroots looks great and I think the successful Suns Academy haul this week will only reinforce the efforts to invest in grass roots on the coast. The ‘system’ on the Coast will be motivated by the Academy success which I think will inspire more kids to join AFL and the schools to start competing with each other in time.

Brisbane is a harder task but the Lions are certainly creeping up. The announcement yesterday of a complete new 50,000 seat GABBA is gold for the AFL, allowing the game / club to showcase every aspect of the AFL experience in the best stadium in QLD. It’s another step in the right direction and no wonder V’landys is homing in on QLD with greater resources and firepower. He needs to, he’s under attack!

Which school?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back