Footy in Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that there were more people in the 18-49 year old group in Brisbane who watched the AFL PF than the NRL PF last night. No QLD side in either of the games. That would have to be a first

Interesting that there were more people in the 18-49 year old group in Brisbane who watched the AFL PF than the NRL PF last night. No QLD side in either of the games. That would have to be a first
A couple of die hard League supporters told me they switched it over because it was a belting and the AFL was close. I think a lot of people did.

The Vic bias was on full display tonight with the calls GWS weren't getting against Collingwood (how was that not high contact!?!?). Now it's time for Queensland to step up and stick it right up the Vics by having Brisbane eliminate Carlton tomorrow, the Suns beat Werribee in the VFL GF on Sunday and the Lions take down the Pies in the AFL GF next week. Let's go!
1/3 of the way there.

Now it's our turn to win the VFL premiership later today and set it up perfectly for the Lions to complete a historic Queensland double next week.

Glad Brisbane Lions made a grand final for the 1st time since their 2001-04 grand final era.

Still remember watching channel 10 on saturday nights when Brisbane hosted games at the gabba. That ground only held 37,500 seats back then but it was constantly sold out.

1/3 of the way there.

Now it's our turn to win the VFL premiership later today and set it up perfectly for the Lions to complete a historic Queensland double next week.
Why is the VFL GF today being played at Ikon park in Melbourne? I thought the GCS had finished first so would have been entitled to a home GF.

in 2023, AFL had more participants than Rugby League for the first time in history. Largely thanks to the huge growth in female participation. Girls are leaving sports like netball in huge numbers for AFL, none leave other sports to play Rugby League.
imagine being a young girl choosing a team sport - you've just seen the matildas playing in front of 90,000 people. the players on rich contracts at european clubs - why would you choose the comparative backwater of afl?

imagine being a young girl choosing a team sport - you've just seen the matildas playing in front of 90,000 people. the players on rich contracts at european clubs - why would you choose the comparative backwater of afl?
The rich European contracts only go to a handful at the pointy end of elite players. Homesickness is also a thing. Cite the number of Irish players who return home to Ireland to play amateur Gaelic football instead of an AFL contract, or decide not to come in the first place.

The rich European contracts only go to a handful at the pointy end of elite players. Homesickness is also a thing. Cite the number of Irish players who return home to Ireland to play amateur Gaelic football instead of an AFL contract, or decide not to come in the first place.
young girls choosing a sport won't be looking that far ahead, but even if playing in oz the minimum pay is pretty much the same. with far more upside if elite.

Because AFL is part of your environment and culture every day. Many of those Matildas supporters haven't thought once about soccer since.

I don't think any young girl is thinking about the salary opportunities available playing for Belgrade FC.

Lions have made the grand final but the media will barely mention it just because the Broncos have as well
The buzz at the ground yesterday was amazing.

The Gabba looked packed - couldn’t believe it was only 36k.

But i did notice fewer kids at the game than you see at Blues games ( for example)

Hearing AFL participation in QLD is sky high.

Hopefully this flows through to the clubs and kids coming through as supporters.

The buzz at the ground yesterday was amazing.

The Gabba looked packed - couldn’t believe it was only 36k.

But i did notice fewer kids at the game than you see at Blues games ( for example)

Hearing AFL participation in QLD is sky high.

Hopefully this flows through to the clubs and kids coming through as supporters.

Would assume less kids was due to the cost. Noticed a heap at the Port game and usually have a fair few during the H&A.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say culturally still a way away. As in the social fabric of the average Queenslander, media exposure etc. it's a fair way behind. GC2015 would be the best person to answer this.
From my experience, here on the Gold Coast it’s an interesting one. AFL certainly has traction. It regularly gets more space than NRL in the Gold Coast Bulletin. I would say in terms of FTA nightly news coverage AFL (Suns) have a story in sport bulletin most nights. So, media coverage is certainly on a par with the Titans. The AFL definitely gets more coverage than the NRL in Melbourne for instance.

When walking around the city, there’s quite a few Suns caps and training tops with the other club Merch visible too. However, I’d say without knowing for sure overall NRL would be the legacy sport on the GC but the AFL closing and not far behind at all. It’s certainly has a presence.

In Brisbane it appears the Broncos certainly remain the kings, getting most of sports coverage. The Lions are growing and definitely have a presence. AFL is growing and has share but NRL and Broncos are still dominant.

In terms of FNQ I’m less across the dynamic.

Last edited:

Imagine watching the AFL increasing monopolise the best athletic talent despite having lower pay at the top end and then thinking it is going to be any different for the women?

young girls choosing a sport won't be looking that far ahead, but even if playing in oz the minimum pay is pretty much the same. with far more upside if elite.

The AFLW minimum salary is now over $50,000 set to be $70,000 in 3 seasons under the new EBA. Over 90 players are estimated to be earning over $100,000 this season

The minimum pay is for the 540th best player!

...so by google trends, the NRL has been marginally ahead of the AFL (21 - 17) in Qld the last 24 hours with both major teams winning prelims

The AFL had actually higher peak interest.

I think to some extent the "gap" might look deceptively larger due to the relative focus of the legacy media
Difficult to judge. Given the Lions played a Prelim and make the GF, it’s a big story and gets coverage in all media. Ditto NRL. A big story is a big story, it gets covered so it’s sort of one equals one if that makes sense.

Interesting up here this week will be to measure the time duration spent on each club campaign / sporting occasion. I assume the Broncos / NRL will be covered extensively, every media presser, breakfasts events, training, recovery sessions, medical updates, club / fans story lines etc. will the Lions / AFL be covered with same saturation? Don’t know, that’s a test I think.

In Melbourne, half of the Friday is live coverage AFL wall to wall, breakfasts, parade, live site into news etc.

So, they both will be big stories extensively covered this week. However it’s the live crosses, saturation and duration throughout the week that I think will see the NRL being the GF, with the AFL in behind it as the bridesmaid.

Because AFL is part of your environment and culture every day. Many of those Matildas supporters haven't thought once about soccer since.

I don't think any young girl is thinking about the salary opportunities available playing for Belgrade FC.
you do realise soccer is now the number one team sport being taken up by girls. i think you are taking a very afl centric viewpoint. and yes, young kids dream of emulating their idols - kerr, raso, and cooney-cross. parents of young girls who show elite potential would indeed be dreaming of that career path. i've seen it already - in a young cooney-cross, who has just joined arsenal. aflw is a long, long way behind and has zero chance of catching up.

Last edited:
The AFLW minimum salary is now over $50,000 set to be $70,000 in 3 seasons under the new EBA. Over 90 players are estimated to be earning over $100,000 this season

The minimum pay is for the 540th best player!
"Average player salaries will increase by 94 per cent across the board, going from $23,904 to $46,280.( rising to $82,000 by the end of 2027) It’s part of a four-tier system in which the top tier will receive $71,935 – up from $37,115 this year."

i think you have your sports confused

"The pay deal brings AFLW into closer competition with Super Netball, where netballers earn an average salary of $74,000.
In that top tier netball competition, the highest paid athletes earn $91,500 while the minimum wage hit $43,000."

you do realise soccer is now the number one team sport being taken up by girls. i think you are taking a very afl centric viewpoint. and yes, young kids dream of emulating their idols - kerr, raso, and cooney-cross. parents of young girls who show elite potential would indeed be dreaming of that career path. i've seen it already - in a young cooney-cross, who has just joined arsenal. aflw is a long, long way behind and has zero chance of catching up.

Soccer is also the highest participation sport in the U.S yet having lived there nobody gives a s**t thereafter. It's coz it's safe and easy to play.
Difficult to judge. Given the Lions played a Prelim and make the GF, it’s a big story and gets coverage in all media. Ditto NRL. A big story is a big story, it gets covered so it’s sort of one equals one if that makes sense.

Interesting up here this week will be to measure the time duration spent on each club campaign / sporting occasion. I assume the Broncos / NRL will be covered extensively, every media presser, breakfasts events, training, recovery sessions, medical updates, club / fans story lines etc. will the Lions / AFL be covered with same saturation? Don’t know, that’s a test I think.

In Melbourne, half of the Friday is live coverage AFL wall to wall, breakfasts, parade, live site into news etc.

So, they both will be big stories extensively covered this week. However it’s the live crosses, saturation and duration throughout the week that I think will see the NRL being the GF, with the AFL in behind it as the bridesmaid.

How unlucky are the lions, after years of being a top team they finally make it in the one year their neighbour does and the one year the gf's are on the same weekend. I think they'll still get decent coverage, if they are smart they should be able to piggy back of it a bit. If both teams win, which is unlikely, I wonder if they'll do a joint celebration in Brisbane CBD. I know lions and Broncos players are good mates, but the used car salesman (PV) might step in and block it.

Waiting lists are one thing, on and off field success is another (which fields memberships).

If there is a state with a more positive known outlook than QLD over the next immediate to medium term, I'll go he.

top end talent - tick
local participation rates - tick
likely coaching and personell investment - tick
stadium upgrades - tick

Make no mistake, there may not be a premiership coming this year, but onwards, QLD - it's your time to shine.
Lived in qld late 80’s early 90’s and afl barely existed there, extensively travelled qld in 09 and the difference was chalk and cheese.

Glad Brisbane Lions made a grand final for the 1st time since their 2001-04 grand final era.

Still remember watching channel 10 on saturday nights when Brisbane hosted games at the gabba. That ground only held 37,500 seats back then but it was constantly sold out.
That’s more than it’s capacity now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back