Footy in Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

"Average player salaries will increase by 94 per cent across the board, going from $23,904 to $46,280.( rising to $82,000 by the end of 2027) It’s part of a four-tier system in which the top tier will receive $71,935 – up from $37,115 this year."

i think you have your sports confused

Uuuum, no man, you are really confused. Are you meshing together last years one off increase and the CBA the was signed 3 days ago?
"The average AFLW Player pay will immediately increase from $46,000 to $60,000 in 2023, then up to $82,000 by 2027.

Under the revised CBA, it is estimated that more than 90 of the top AFLW players will be paid more than $100,000 for the 2023 season (inclusive of ASA’s) – up from 40 players last season (Season Seven) and 12 players in Season Six."

"The pay deal brings AFLW into closer competition with Super Netball, where netballers earn an average salary of $74,000.
In that top tier netball competition, the highest paid athletes earn $91,500 while the minimum wage hit $43,000."

There are 540 AFLW players earning at least that. That's the difference.

you do realise soccer is now the number one team sport being taken up by girls.

Nope, wrong yet again. Soccer has no where near the female participants in organised netball.

i think you are taking a very afl centric viewpoint.

You are taking a classic cultural cringer viewpoint and can't make the basic connection between men's and women's versions of the sport.

Why, if a remote chance of playing for a european soccer club is not enough to attract the best talent away from the AFL would it be any different for the AFLW?

I think it's a really exciting time for footy in QLD. With the Lions making the GF and Gold Coast looking like they are on the verge of something special.

I don't know why it has to be bigger than NRL though. Both sports have there place in the QLD landscape.

Why is the VFL GF today being played at Ikon park in Melbourne? I thought the GCS had finished first so would have been entitled to a home GF.
Great question. I wish I had an answer for you, but VFL gonna VFL. You know?

I think it's a really exciting time for footy in QLD. With the Lions making the GF and Gold Coast looking like they are on the verge of something special.
We're looking to do the double this week and take both the VFL & AFL cups from Victoria. Up the Queenslanders!

Nope, wrong yet again. Soccer has no where near the female participants in organised netball.

You are taking a classic cultural cringer viewpoint and can't make the basic connection between men's and women's versions of the sport.

Why, if a remote chance of playing for a european soccer club is not enough to attract the best talent away from the AFL would it be any different for the AFLW?
pretty clearly said - the number one sport being taken up by "girls" not women, not 'females' - the future.

talking of cultural cringe - look i understand some afl fans will continue to knock soccer and build up their own sport. but it is pretty clear soccer is and will be forever more a much bigger attraction for girls in australia. for starters two of the three biggest states don't really care for afl, let alone aflw, it's growing, but it won't overtake soccer. not even close. we will never see australians across the country embrace the game as they embraced the matildas and the world cup. aflw will be a niche sport and survive purely based on afl funding. it's a bit comical you'd even try to promote otherwise.

pretty clearly said - the number one sport being taken up by "girls" not women, not 'females' - the future.

WTF is that? An bot generated blog?

The ausplay survey has netball well over double female girls club participation

Aus football is far closer to soccer than soccer is to netball

talking of cultural cringe - look i understand some afl fans will continue to knock soccer and build up their own sport. but it is pretty clear soccer is and will be forever more a much bigger attraction for girls in australia. for starters two of the three biggest states don't really care for afl, let alone aflw, it's growing, but it won't overtake soccer. not even close. we will never see australians across the country embrace the game as they embraced the matildas and the world cup. aflw will be a niche sport and survive purely based on afl funding. it's a bit comical you'd even try to promote otherwise.

Absolutely devoid of critical thought. Just bluster

Why would female soccer be any different to men's in terms of competing with Australian football when:

• the relevant proportion of funding for pathways is far higher for Australian football (NAB league, academies etc compared with relatively nothing if you don't get a young matildas....at least the male players have NPL programs etc )
  • the TPP for AFLW is considerably higher than the English Women's Super League (compare the total salaries in the EPL with the AFL).
It is just dumb to think that it is going to be any different for women. It is actually going to be harder for soccer than it is with the men.

The home world cup is just that thing that happened once - fading in to memory. The AFL / AFLW will be on and in view 9 months every year, rince and repeat. The AFL will pour 10s of millions into the AFLW every year, rince and repeat.

Last edited:
WTF is that? An bot generated blog?

The ausplay survey has netball well over double female girls club participation

Aus football is far closer to soccer than soccer is to netball

Absolutely devoid of critical thought. Just bluster

Why would female soccer be any different to men's in terms of competing with Australian football when:

• the relevant proportion of funding for pathways is far higher for Australian football (NAB league, academies etc compared with relatively nothing if you don't get a young matildas....at least the male players have NPL programs etc )
  • the TPP for AFLW is considerably higher than the English Women's Super League (compare the total salaries in the EPL with the AFL).
It is just dumb to think that it is going to be any different for women. It is actually going to be harder for soccer than it is with the men.

The home world cup is just that thing that happened once - fading in to memory. The AFL / AFLW will be on and in view 9 months every year, rince and repeat. The AFL will pour 10s of millions into the AFLW every year, rince and repeat.
ha. you sound like you work for the afl. blind faith and ignorance of other codes and other states. your own bluster and insults do little to aid your case. the afl can throw as much money as they like, as they have with the giants and the suns - in the end they need crowds to make it work or it will forever be a token. the proof will be in the pudding, but we already know far more women play soccer, far more girls are taking it up, far far more australians have attended a womens soccer game than an aflw game - and they paid full price to do so. and the matilda's had the largest tv viewing audience seen since the sydney olympics - more than any afl mens final. next up is the asian championship, the olympics, and the next world cup. these will continue to drive support. the sports aren't really comparable when talking women's sport.
we can revisit this in ten years if you like. until then - enjoy your aflw.

1/3 of the way there.

Now it's our turn to win the VFL premiership later today and set it up perfectly for the Lions to complete a historic Queensland double next week.
2/3 of the way there.

Just need the Lions to perform in the big dance on Saturday and Queensland will officially rule footy for season 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QLD footy is doing great, speaking as someone who now lives here and has kids playing. That is where the AFL has done a great job at grass roots level, and the club my kids play at do an amazing job. The number of kids playing at junior level is great especially girls. And was at the game as a neutral on Saturday and was loudest crowd i can remember at Gabba.

Well done the Suns. Great for the club heading into a new era. May only be the VFL but it will get good coverage on the Gold Coast with local news and newspapers tomorrow. Good for the club and game.
Their NRLW team, Titans, also qualified for the GF today as well. Both will be news.

ha. you sound like you work for the afl. blind faith and ignorance of other codes and other states. your own bluster and insults do little to aid your case. the afl can throw as much money as they like, as they have with the giants and the suns - in the end they need crowds to make it work or it will forever be a token. the proof will be in the pudding, but we already know far more women play soccer, far more girls are taking it up, far far more australians have attended a womens soccer game than an aflw game - and they paid full price to do so. and the matilda's had the largest tv viewing audience seen since the sydney olympics - more than any afl mens final. next up is the asian championship, the olympics, and the next world cup. these will continue to drive support. the sports aren't really comparable when talking women's sport.
we can revisit this in ten years if you like. until then - enjoy your aflw.

Haha, Ok man

You clearly can't address a very basic question - why is women's soccer ultimately going to be any different to men's soccer when the resource difference is far greater than it even is in men's soccer? And when the total pay on offer is more than any women's soccer comp? And when the elite pathways are as narrow as a goats track in girls soccer compared to parisian boulavard's to the AFLW?

That one time we hosted the women's world cup and made it to the semi final has come an gone. It was the most fleeting thing in the fullness of time. Granted the Matildas have the olympics (only thing they have over the Socceroos apart from that one time we hosted a women's world cup and made a semi), but that is more fleeting and crowded than a world cup. pan flashes every 4 years and, if they flop, it is another 4 years. Same as the men's. Asian championship? Give me a break!

Speaking of blind faith, blind freddy could see that the european teams have already moved way passed wherever we will get to again in women's soccer. Spain and England were both miles ahead with several players out. We will never get remotely close to a semi final again.

Meanwhile the AFL will be pumping $100 million into women's football every year whilst having the lions share of national attention for 9 months a year every year. Having the richest women's football competition on the planet based on TPPs....

Good luck man. Blustering will work for you for only so long I suspect

Their NRLW team, Titans, also qualified for the GF today as well. Both will be news.
While we're on the topic of women's teams, the Suns AFLW team just won 3 matches in a row for the first time in club history and are currently tied 3rd on the ladder. There's a good argument to be made that they should have won R1 as well and would be tied top of the ladder right now had that occurred. Brisbane's AFLW team is also sitting equal 3rd right now so both QLD teams are firing in the AFLW for the first time ever. Unreal to see how well the state of Queensland is performing in so many different national competitions.

Over the next week we could conceivably see the Suns win the VFL GF, Lions win the AFL GF, Broncos win the NRL GF & Titans win the NRLW GF. We're taking all the silverware!

Haha, Ok man

You clearly can't address a very basic question - why is women's soccer ultimately going to be any different to men's soccer when the resource difference is far greater than it even is in men's soccer? And when the total pay on offer is more than any women's soccer comp? And when the elite pathways are as narrow as a goats track in girls soccer compared to parisian boulavard's to the AFLW?

That one time we hosted the women's world cup and made it to the semi final has come an gone. It was the most fleeting thing in the fullness of time. Granted the Matildas have the olympics (only thing they have over the Socceroos apart from that one time we hosted a women's world cup and made a semi), but that is more fleeting and crowded than a world cup. pan flashes every 4 years and, if they flop, it is another 4 years. Same as the men's. Asian championship? Give me a break!

Speaking of blind faith, blind freddy could see that the european teams have already moved way passed wherever we will get to again in women's soccer. Spain and England were both miles ahead with several players out. We will never get remotely close to a semi final again.

Meanwhile the AFL will be pumping $100 million into women's football every year whilst having the lions share of national attention for 9 months a year every year. Having the richest women's football competition on the planet based on TPPs....

Good luck man. Blustering will work for you for only so long I suspect
I feel like I've been hearing how soccer will take over in Australia for decades - and yet somehow it doesn't happen.

When the elite comp is in a different hemisphere and on a different timezone, it will never tip into being super-popular here, because it's just not as easy to consume as the current popular sports. And Australians just don't follow a watered down local version.

I feel like I've been hearing how soccer will take over in Australia for decades - and yet somehow it doesn't happen.

When the elite comp is in a different hemisphere and on a different timezone, it will never tip into being super-popular here, because it's just not as easy to consume as the current popular sports. And Australians just don't follow a watered down local version.
You're spot on.
The time zone and the inability to see the top level games live is a definite hindrance.
No doubts about it.

But then imagine having 50 years of evidence for men's soccer and then thinking women's soccer is going to be any different?

But then imagine having 50 years of evidence for men's soccer and then thinking women's soccer is going to be any different?
For the majority of sports fans in Australia, they get behind the Socceroos twice every four years: 1. The last few WC qualifying games; 2. The World Cup itself. Unless we’re hosting an Asian Cup then most people don’t take much notice until we’re at the QF/SF stage. This doesn’t translate to regular support of the domestic game, for example, so why would anyone think the situation would be different for the Matildas and women’s soccer?

Hardwick walks into a club with a s**t ton of talent who just won a VFL flag and have a draft feast from the Allies under 18 champs waiting to join in.

He must be feeling very good about life
It is one thing having the talent, it is another thing turning that into success. I’d say Hardwick knows that, hence the six year contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back