List Mgmt. Free Agency 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We fall over like a stack of cards whenever Waite gets injured.

2011 - Bulldogs game lost after been 30 points up
2012 - Saints game
2013 - 2nd Collingwood game after dominating the first quarter

Iirc Waite played in both games against st Kilda in 2012. But I get your point. We need to start treating Waite as a bonus. Hence my belief that Hendo needs to play forward almost permanently and Watto down back so that we aren't stranded when Waite goes down.

Iirc Waite played in both games against st Kilda in 2012. But I get your point. We need to start treating Waite as a bonus. Hence my belief that Hendo needs to play forward almost permanently and Watto down back so that we aren't stranded when Waite goes down.

Waite played with a sore back against them in the first game. Agree with the rest.

Tappa !!

The Gold Coast are going extremely hard at James Frawley.

No surprise there, but they certainly won't be alone.

Would walk into any club in the competition and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a club out there having discussions with his manager.

Anyone got the feeling the club may already know Gibbs will go elsewhere under FTA ?? I mean after all of the recent 150th year adds, why would you have Daisy in the pics instead of Gibbs? I realize he's a proven champ & very marketable, but if you are advertising 150 years of a Club's history, why use someone who hasn't yet played a game for us, over Gibbs? Case in point http://www.carltonfc.com.au/gallery/2014-03-13/heritage-guernsey

Anyone got the feeling the club may already know Gibbs will go elsewhere under FTA ?? I mean after all of the recent 150th year adds, why would you have Daisy in the pics instead of Gibbs? I realize he's a proven champ & very marketable, but if you are advertising 150 years of a Club's history, why use someone who hasn't yet played a game for us, over Gibbs? Case in point http://www.carltonfc.com.au/gallery/2014-03-13/heritage-guernsey

yeh, nah.

How much for a James Frawley?

I would consider a Thomas contract or slightly more to get a third tall defender/KPD. Not just for his ability, but a player who might be able to lead the backline. Jamison and Frawley would also help out Watson as he develops. Plus Henderson can stay forward.

Still expect him to re-sign.

I guess some will say we're still trying to buy success.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
There is no impasse or official delay in Gibbs’ negotiations, with both sides talking regularly about a deal that would be likely worth over $600,000 a season.

Is the price right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/br...bs-flag-bluepint/story-fni5f5nx-1226859643235

We better start winning soon.

Mind you, I thought having the Menz would be enough to prove to Gibbs how good our future is.

Well Gibbs obviously thinks our problem is part recruitment, part development as he recognises he needs an environment to help him become a better midfielder. It's ironic that to get the success he wants, we probably have to throw money at a gun key forward after our leadership group have drained the well.

Is the price right?

The price is right if he continues to show something in the midfield but he'd be kidding himself if he thinks he deserves it based on output to date.

Well Gibbs obviously thinks our problem is part recruitment, part development as he recognises he needs an environment to help him become a better midfielder. It's ironic that to get the success he wants, we probably have to throw money at a gun key forward after our leadership group have drained the well.

The price is right if he continues to show something in the midfield but he'd be kidding himself if he thinks he deserves it based on output to date.

You summed up much of how I feel about it too. What money is there going to be left to do the type of recruiting that he wants us to accomplish? Somebody surely has to leave if we are to fit people inside the salary cap. For all of the money Waite and Judd's contracts are going to open up much of it will be filled by the contract extensions handed out.

Can he have his cake and eat it too? I'm not convinced that he can.

When is the list management thread getting opened up?

In my opinion we have a few 2nd stringers that we could afford to move on for draft picks or salary cap space anyway. What do you reckon is Robinson's and Warnock's current salary? It's not hard to list another 25 % of our 44 players that could be moved on.

There are no gun key forwards on the market and Frawley is unlikely to come to us with so many other suitors for his signature about. We should be aiming to draft or trade in younger KPP's who we won't have to sell the farm for but will still improve our team in the long and short term. Tomlinson should be looked at since he will be GWS 4th/5th forward soon which will reduce his ability to earn a bigger salary and develop in the seniors. Loyalty often wavers in the face of a bigger contract and guaranteed opportunites to play senior football. Getting him to come to Carlton instead of the Bulldogs for example is going to be difficult though.

In my opinion we have a few 2nd stringers that we could afford to move on for draft picks or salary cap space anyway.

Appreciate the salary cap space if used efficiently and for the right targets. But we saw with Hampson what we'll get for second stringers. Would need a draft expert to tell you whether trading for mid-draft picks this year is going to be worth giving up depth. Too early in my mind to make that sort of call but it's a decent one.

Appreciate the salary cap space if used efficiently and for the right targets. But we saw with Hampson what we'll get for second stringers. Would need a draft expert to tell you whether trading for mid-draft picks this year is going to be worth giving up depth. Too early in my mind to make that sort of call but it's a decent one.

Hampson was a injury prone ( Two PCL injuries in consecutive years) 3rd stringer ruck man with about 50 games under his belt. Richmond wouldn't have given us anything more then a third rounder if rated the draft in my opinion. Good point about the depth of the draft been a factor though.

Sounds like the beginning of the end for Bryce at Carlton.

I do not like that article.

Though 600k for Gibbs is about right if he develops into the player we all hope he becomes. If the Crows snare another of our great players I suggest we form a plan to nuke Adelaide.

I don't blame Bryce for wanting some sort of reassurance that we're heading in the right direction. This will be the most significant contract of his career so he's entitled to want to consider all the angles. Players want the best salary they can get, but they want to be part of a winning side, too. Adelaide-Carlton presents a dilemma in that both clubs have the cattle to do well in the next few years, if they play their cards right and recruit well. (And play good footy too - that always helps!)
Bryce doesn't want to be in the position where he has committed to us for the next four years (his playing prime) only for Carlton to go down the toilet while seeing Adelaide climb into the top four.

My question is, how can you give a guarantee? "No worries mate, our recruiting will be top notch, you'll see! We'll pick up Josiah Bloggs in the next draft - next Ollie Wines they reckon - and once we've got big Boydy down from GWS (don't worry, it's all arranged) then we can..."
I mean, what can you really say? How can you predict how well the planning, direction and recruiting is going to turn out? No-one plans to be ordinary.

I do not like that article.

Though 600k for Gibbs is about right if he develops into the player we all hope he becomes. If the Crows snare another of our great players I suggest we form a plan to nuke Adelaide.

Doesn't need nuking.

Maybe we could donate some corrugated iron for new houses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back